• 2011 Classic Rock Surround Releases - Stuck in the Box

Good news for Classic Rock Surround Fans in 2011! We saw titles from Pink Floyd, The Who, Derek and the Domino's, Jethro Tull, and Rush appear in new, crystal clear quadraphonic and 5.1 mixes. At a time when the surround music market seemed to be pretty much shut down, these titles somehow managed to become available for purchase. The bad news was that in order to get these surround releases, the surround buyer was required to purchase a "Deluxe Box Set", in some cases in very limited editions.

Now, there are a few ways to look at these releases. First, and what seems to be the majority opinion here at QQ, you could look at it as described above, and be very annoyed that these titles are not available as stand-alone surround only releases. You could say that since these were created to be included in these box sets, why not make more and sell them direct, much the same way that Pink Floyd did with the Wish You Were Here SACD.

The opposing view point might be "Hey, they didn't HAVE to include surround versions in these boxes, since the boxes are not targeted for the surround market, they are created for the ultimate fan of these bands." This is also true. Many box sets have appeared over the years, and QQ members have complained "Why didn't they put the quad mix in the box, they really blew it." The McCartney Band on the Run book/box comes to mind for example.

I suppose the best way to look at these releases is that at LEAST these boxes included the surround mixes, and in the case of the 2 Pink Floyd Boxes and the Aqualung box the buyer not only got a new 5.1 mix disc, but also the original quadraphonic mix. In some ways, this is astonishing. Who ever thought we'd ever see the quad Aqualung mix be sold again in any format? Or the WYWH 1975 quad mix?

As for Derek and the Domino's, the Elliot Scheiner mix was something we'd only heard about, and now it was there, for us to buy and hear - at a price of course.

Maybe at some point these surround discs will be available as stand alone releases. At this point, we don't know. However, what we do know is that they are available in these boxes, and that is good. It is far better, IMHO, to have a box set with a surround mix out there, even at a high price, than to have a box set out there at a high price with no surround mix.

Surround music fans have been beaten into submission over the years to be grateful for whatever pittance the record companies give us. That hasn't changed, but you have to admit that at least, with these recent box sets, they have at least given us something to enjoy, mostly in HiRez, with multiple mixes and alternate tracks in surround. The sad part is that there are many fans who simply cannot afford the price tag of these deluxe box sets, and hopefully the coming year will see these titles appear as single surround releases, even if only as limited editions available through places like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Discs.

For those who purchased one or more of these boxes, be sure to vote in LizardKing's poll "The Year of the Box", located in the forum.
    Comments 19 Comments
      kap'n krunch -
      Which ones have the most limited release???
      winopener -
      Hope that Elton John doesn't follow this road... otherwise we're going all bankrupt!
      FredSoles -
      Quote Originally Posted by kap'n krunch View Post
      Which ones have the most limited release???
      Pretty sure the Layla is already out of print and very difficult to find at this point. Aqualung may be the next one gone.
      grill -
      Nice article. Thanks, Jon.
      DKA -
      Nice job, Jon. Very balanced article.
      timbre4 -
      Great summary; I find myself oddly on the fence with most of these. It's a gamble that they will appear as separate releases in the future. I'm probably going to buy the Floyd boxes, so the Jethro Tull box is one that concerns me if it's going away soon. Pretty sure we will see the Rush titles as either separate surround discs (DVD-A or BD?) or some kind of CD/DVD-A combo pkgs. I agree that it's at least amazing if not outright hopeful to see these releases happening. The handwriting is on the wall a far as CD and physical media coupled with the fact that we're not getting any younger. Empty those vaults now!
      LizardKing -
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
      Pretty sure the Layla is already out of print and very difficult to find at this point. Aqualung may be the next one gone.
      Yep - All the others are still available, but Layla is hard to find now....got the last one from the main distributor here in NZ.
      rusinurbe -
      For Layla I acquired a copy of the DVD and bought the Deluxe CD to create a 'deluxe edition' as it should have been reelased.
      dweltman -
      So what albums would people like to see singled out for deluxe box treatment in 2012?
      rusinurbe -
      I posted most of this on another forum, but Looking at my record collection and Universals catalog we have

40th anniversarys of Eat a Peach by 'The Allman Brothers' which already has/had a deluxe edition but not a definitive box CD another concert CD DVD with 5.1 mix and any avaiable Video Duane Allman in the band .

30th Anniversary of Mike Oldfields 'Five Miles Out' nice to have that in 5.1 like the other Universal re-issues.

The Whos 'its Hard' CD and concert DVD ?

And never been issued on CD 'From the makers of' Status Quo nice to see a Tin Box re-issue of that on CD probably only 3 CDs from the 4 LPs but still one of the best status Quo Compilations of the classic lineup.

20th Anniversary of Gary Moores 'After Hours' (Virgin is part of EMI who universal are supposed to be buying) plenty of bonus tracks and probably a live recording or two from that time could be nice in surround.
      LizardKing -
      Quote Originally Posted by rusinurbe View Post
      I posted most of this on another forum, but Looking at my record collection and Universals catalog we have

40th anniversarys of Eat a Peach by 'The Allman Brothers' which already has/had a deluxe edition but not a definitive box CD another concert CD DVD with 5.1 mix and any avaiable Video Duane Allman in the band .

30th Anniversary of Mike Oldfields 'Five Miles Out' nice to have that in 5.1 like the other Universal re-issues.

The Whos 'its Hard' CD and concert DVD ?

And never been issued on CD 'From the makers of' Status Quo nice to see a Tin Box re-issue of that on CD probably only 3 CDs from the 4 LPs but still one of the best status Quo Compilations of the classic lineup.

20th Anniversary of Gary Moores 'After Hours' (Virgin is part of EMI who universal are supposed to be buying) plenty of bonus tracks and probably a live recording or two from that time could be nice in surround.
      Thick As A Brick is 40.... is it confirmed for a box with a SW 5.1 mix????
      Quad Linda -
      Complete MCA/ABC Album Collection in 5.1 by Steely Dan
      Abbey Road - Beatles
      Who's Next
      Crime of the Century - Supertramp
      River of Dreams - Billy Joel
      Born in the USA - BROOSE!!!!!
      Chicago Loop - 1st 10 Chicago albums (incl Carnegie Hall) on Blu-Ray-A and/or DVD-A
      Night & Day - 30th anniversary - Joe Jackson
      Santana Surround Collection - all the Quad titles on 5.1 incl w/Buddy Miles, McLaughlin & Alice Coltrane

Linda
      Dreamer, You Know You Are a Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by dweltman View Post
      So what albums would people like to see singled out for deluxe box treatment in 2012?
      rusinurbe -
      Some more Anniversarys in 2012 which may prompt a box set:
      40th
      Neil Young - Harvest
      Roy Wood - Boulders
      Wizzard - Wizzard Brew
      Deep purple - Machine Head
      30th
      Queen - Hot Space
      Neil young - Trans
      Foreigner - 4
      20th
      Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion
      Roger Waters - Amused to Death
      Neil Young - Harvest moon
      10th
      Neil Young - Are you passionate ?
      Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (Loads of stuff for a box there)
      No-Man - Returning Jesus
      David Bowie - Heathen (Time for a re-issue of the surround ?)
      ProgRules -
      What about 40th anniversary of the best album of all time (imho, of course)- Yes Close to the Edge? While I would love any Yes album in 5.1, CttE would be my ultimate wish. However, I remember reading a rumor about this (when it was said it was scheduled to be released in surround), that they couldn't do it because the multi-tracks had been lost. I hope that is not the case...

Any Pink Floyd would be on my wishlist as well, w/ Meddle, then Obscured by Clouds, then Aniamls at the top.

A BR w/ Zep's entire studio output would be killer. Would also place Jean-Luc Ponty very high on my wishlist. And how about some Dead?
      leevitalone1 -
      I know more than one member bought at least the Grace set
      but only one vote? same with the clapton set. more votes!!
      Quad Linda -
      Are you referring to Jeff Buckley's Grace? Wonderful!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecaxr...C2465C2CB791B8 Sometimes I'm dense. Musta killed too many brain cells.
      Quote Originally Posted by leevitalone1 View Post
      I know more than one member bought at least the Grace set
      but only one vote? same with the clapton set. more votes!!
      LizardKing -
      Quote Originally Posted by Quad Linda View Post
      Are you referring to Jeff Buckley's Grace? Wonderful!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecaxr...C2465C2CB791B8 Sometimes I'm dense. Musta killed too many brain cells.
      I'm assuming he's referring to Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning from this thread...

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...read.php?15233
      Quad Linda -
      No doubt, you're right. Nevermind!

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
      I'm assuming he's referring to Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning from this thread...

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...read.php?15233
      leevitalone1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Quad Linda View Post
      No doubt, you're right. Nevermind!
      there was only one vote on the poll for that disc. I thought it deserved more attention. being so popular.