Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint, my usual question: do you have another copy(s) of EPTAS to a/b the Japan SHM-SACD to? If so, what's better? I bought the SHM-SACD of Gasoline Alley. The MoFi Gold CD is the best copy of EPTAS I've heard so far, but haven't heard the SHM-SACD.

I do need to finish my Blood, Sweat & Tears (II) SACD comparisons: Hoffman vs. Columbia vs. Mofi. So far, the Hoffman 2ch SACD master beats the Columbia. I'll report back when I get to a/b them both to the Mofi SACD.

I personally find a/b comparisons rather hard. Unless the differences are obvious. I mean....your ears can certainly play tricks.....

Yeah, I remember all those crazy rumors. The stuff people come up with. ;)

But... How could one not like "Do ya think I'm sexy?" It's a blast to sing at karaoke. LOL!

The critics blasted Rod for that song(it still went to number 1 in both the US and UK) and he got sued because it resembled another song...he donated his royalties(which was considerable)to UNICEF...btw...Rod turned 70 in January...he's in the top 25 wealthiest British performers...which isn't too shabby...I've always liked Rod...I think...much like Sinatra..."he did it his way"...

So can your system, especially speakers and room acoustics. Still, having done lots of a/b comparisons, both in my stores, and in other Audiophiles' homes, the differences often become highly noticeable. Volume level and tone settings come into play. I listen FLAT-no EQ or tone settings. The preamp on my main system has NO tone controls. IF you don't compare the recordings back to back, preferably 'blind," your recollection will play tricks on you, even 20 minutes later. We even did a few a/b's while sober, BUT we didn't make a habit of it!

"We're more popular than Rod." - Ron Nasty of the Rutles.

I personally find a/b comparisons rather hard. Unless the differences are obvious. I mean....your ears can certainly play tricks.....

He has so many good songs. Along with the big hits, I've always liked "I Don't Want To Talk About It" , "The Killing Of Georgie (Part I And II)" , "Downtown Train", etc...

LOVE - FOREVER CHANGES (SACD STEREO)

This sounds pretty remarkable for such an old recording. The soundstage seems so wide...almost giving me the impression that somehow there are more than 2 speakers putting out sound. Crystal clear, each instrument and vocal clean and clear. So far, very happy with this purchase.....

The song The Red Telephone just sounds awesome in 2 channel. Very rich, lots of depth....if all stereo SACD of this age sounded this good....I'd be buying many, many more titles with no fear...

Of course...later I'll have to try it in fake quad...just to see.... :)

CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY - SACD STEREO

wow! Sounds excellent....exceptionally clean, clear...instruments all over the place...not seemingly limited to my 2 front speakers...such a wide sound.

41s2rgWpRRL._AA160_.jpg

TED NUGENT - TED NUGENT (SACD STEREO)

Now, I'm really surprised....I truly had low to mid expectations for this release. I'm pretty well shocked how good this sounds. Now, this is hard rock...so it's a bit more difficult to discern this compared to say....Chicago....but I can promise you this. This title has NEVER sounded this good....it is simply excellent. Very crisp....good bottom end. Similar to my other 2 discs....at times this is a wall of sound with a very wide soundstage...it defies my understanding honestly. Call me impressed...this is damn near perfection....the drums are rock solid and lifelike.

51aVrTsRC%2BL.jpg

Roxy Music Siren (SHM SACD) ... been playing on repeat all day. Paid a total of $37.69 for this (with the air mail shipping).... and got about $4 worth of points to use on my next order. Pretty good deal.

LOVE - FOREVER CHANGES (SACD STEREO)

This sounds pretty remarkable for such an old recording. The soundstage seems so wide...almost giving me the impression that somehow there are more than 2 speakers putting out sound. Crystal clear, each instrument and vocal clean and clear. So far, very happy with this purchase.....

The song The Red Telephone just sounds awesome in 2 channel. Very rich, lots of depth....if all stereo SACD of this age sounded this good....I'd be buying many, many more titles with no fear...

Of course...later I'll have to try it in fake quad...just to see.... :)

Oh you will be buying more...now that you are receptive to the idea...the new and improved Gos 2.0....

Currently playing Roxy Music Siren. Again. This seems to be all I listen to now.

Clint, my usual question: do you have another copy(s) of EPTAS to a/b the Japan SHM-SACD to? If so, what's better? I bought the SHM-SACD of Gasoline Alley. The MoFi Gold CD is the best copy of EPTAS I've heard so far, but haven't heard the SHM-SACD.

I do need to finish my Blood, Sweat & Tears (II) SACD comparisons: Hoffman vs. Columbia vs. Mofi. So far, the Hoffman 2ch SACD master beats the Columbia. I'll report back when I get to a/b them both to the Mofi SACD.

Unfortunately I don't have any other versions of EPTAS...when I was thinking about buying it I researched it pretty heavily...the general consensus seemed to be that this disc was superior to the Gasoline Alley SHM-SACD...which I also considered buying but decided not to...Rod's work is all over the map as far as the DR numbers go...to use a favorite analogy of mine you have:

THE GOOD

THE BAD
THE UGLY

THE SHM-SACD doesn't have great numbers but it doesn't sound compressed..even with Rod's "raspy" voice...I'm happy with it...not reference by any means...but very good..

Nice disc...I remember "back in the day" when I bought that....I didn't even know that not all SACD were multi-channel.

ha!..fooled into a stereo purchase...yesterday I was in Lowes(hardware store) and Cat Stevens was on the music feed in the store...some songs from that album...reminds me of the Eagles Don Henley joking about the Eagles songs being in 7-11 stores...I used to hear that "muzak"(elevator music) version of Desperado a lot..even Hotel California...

Roxy Music Country Life SHM SACD ... not quite as good as Siren but needed to play something else for a change.

Back