DVD/DTS Poll Franklin, Aretha - The Best of [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Aretha Franklin - The Best of

• Total voters
The negative comments associated with this release have less to do with the release itself and more to do with the fact that Rhino could have chosen a better title as the followup to the CTA DVD. A lot of people think that because this title didn't sell as well as CTA, that's what made Rhino fold their Quadio program until just recently.
I think most wanted a followup like "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper, "Late for the Sky" by Jackson Browne, or any of the Quad mixes by the likes of James Taylor, the Doobie Brothers, or the Eagles.
We'll see if they decide to follow the Chicago box with more Quadio releases and if so what they choose as the followup. They certainly have many good titles to pull from, that's for sure! :)

RT, CTA was a brilliant release but to criticize RHINO for releasing THE QUEEN OF SOUL's Greatest Hits in a spectacular sounding (albeit lossy) DTS 4.0 DVD~R is akin to all the flack AF has experienced by releasing Laura Nyro, Judy Collins, George Benson, Mannheim Steamroller and other assorted sundries which the surround community likewise ballyhooed.

IMO, every surround release can't be a home run and for me who was raised on thin sounding Aretha vinyl, spinning Rhino's Quadio DVD~R was a breath of fresh air.

I really don't think RHINO suspended their QUADIO program because of lackluster Aretha G.H. sales. For awhile back in the early 00's, Rhino was releasing spectacular sounding RBCD/MLP DVD~A sets and even pre~announced Stephen Stills FIRST album as a 2 disc hi res set and then POOF.......the plug was pulled yet AGAIN.

If The Chicago QUADIO box set sells well (again, we won't know till the figures are published) will RHINO release MORE BD~A box sets?

Well, with RHINO/WARNER's erratic multichannel record (first MLP DVD~A, then DTS QUADIO, LOSSY TUSK/MIRAGE boxsets and NOW, BD~A) WHO REALLY KNOWS.

And unless someone has a crystal ball........I only wish and hope that RHINO/WARNER starts clearing out their unreleased 4.0/5.1 vaults and proceeds on a STEADY path of future multichannel LOSSLESS releases and stops changing formats in their usual schizo pattern!

Addenda: Personally, I'm still ROYALLY pissed that Warner saw fit to release both TUSK & [the upcoming] Mirage as LOSSY DVD~Vs when after hearing the Chicago Quadio BD~As we ALL know damn well both Fleetwood Mac albums would sound SUPERIOR as BD~As. Nuff said!

I found the Aretha to be a most worthy release. Although yes, there are quirky aspects to some of the mixes, there is no denying the musical quality and performances, and my only regret remains the same as back in '73: that after it's over one wants to hear even more Aretha in 4-channel, since only certain highlights are touched on, so much more to explore.

ED :)

I found the Aretha to be a most worthy release. Although yes, there are quirky aspects to some of the mixes, there is no denying the musical quality and performances, and my only regret remains the same as back in '73: that after it's over one wants to hear even more Aretha in 4-channel, since only certain highlights are touched on, so much more to explore.

ED :)

Ed, the only other Aretha Franklin album available as a former QUAD release was Aretha Live at Fillmore West. Would love to hear that, as well. http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/aretha_franklin_live_at_fillmore_west.jpg

PLAYLIST: http://www.heliotricity.com/images/Aretha_Franklin/fillmore 513x400.jpg

RT, CTA was a brilliant release but to criticize RHINO for releasing THE QUEEN OF SOUL's Greatest Hits in a spectacular sounding (albeit lossy) DTS 4.0 DVD~R is akin to all the flack AF has experienced by releasing Laura Nyro, Judy Collins, George Benson, Mannheim Steamroller and other assorted sundries which the surround community likewise ballyhooed.

I really don't think RHINO suspended their QUADIO program because of lackluster Aretha G.H. sales. For awhile back in the early 00's, Rhino was releasing spectacular sounding RBCD/MLP DVD~A sets and even pre~announced Stephen Stills FIRST album as a 2 disc hi res set and then POOF.......the plug was pulled yet AGAIN.

And unless someone has a crystal ball........I only wish and hope that RHINO/WARNER starts clearing out their unreleased 4.0/5.1 vaults and proceeds on a STEADY path of future multichannel LOSSLESS releases and stops changing formats in their usual schizo pattern!

Actually, that's really not a fair comparison at all, for several reasons:
-If a label doesn't want to grant a license to Audio Fidelity to reissue an album, there's nothing they can do about it.
-AF also have to deal with other labels (especially Mobile Fidelity…) wanting to license and reissue many of the same albums, which further limits the number of titles available to them.

Since Warner Music/Rhino Records own the vast majority of the Quad mixes in their catalogue, there's nothing that prevents them from reissuing these albums themselves, except of course missing or damaged tapes. Very rarely can an artist put a stop to a release as they normally do not own their recorded material. The label does.

Anyway, best to get off this subject here since we are veering away from Aretha...

Actually, that's really not a fair comparison at all, for several reasons:
-If a label doesn't want to grant a license to Audio Fidelity to reissue an album, there's nothing they can do about it.
-AF also have to deal with other labels (especially Mobile Fidelity…) wanting to license and reissue many of the same albums, which further limits the number of titles available to them.

Since Warner Music/Rhino Records own the vast majority of the Quad mixes in their catalogue, there's nothing that prevents them from reissuing these albums themselves, except of course missing or damaged tapes. Very rarely can an artist put a stop to a release as they normally do not own their recorded material. The label does.

Anyway, best to get off this subject here since we are veering away from Aretha...

RT, you missed my point altogether. I only wanted to stress that just as Rhino was criticized for releasing Aretha as a follow~up to CTA, Audio Fidelity has likewise been criticized for what some consider to be "questionable" mch choices.

But you're correct: This IS a POLL and we should veer back on topic.

I just happened to listen to this again yesterday, and I feel it was the perfect choice by Rhino, a quad exclusive GH by a real living legend. That extended Chain Of Fools is a major find.

I just happened to listen to this again yesterday, and I feel it was the perfect choice by Rhino, a quad exclusive GH by a real living legend. That extended Chain Of Fools is a major find.

I was blasting Chain of Fools one night and I was astounded by the fullness and richness of the recording. Simply a stunner! Too bad those detractors who ballyhooed this Rhino Quadio choice didn't share our sentiments. But I suppose people vote with their pocketbooks and unlike CTA which sold out almost instantly, Aretha's GH is still available.

IMO, they don't call her THE QUEEN OF SOUL for nothing!

The negative comments associated with this release have less to do with the release itself and more to do with the fact that Rhino could have chosen a better title as the followup to the CTA DVD. A lot of people think that because this title didn't sell as well as CTA, that's what made Rhino fold their Quadio program until just recently.

There is Internet speculation that it didn't sell as well. Warner has never said that.

There is Internet speculation that it didn't sell as well. Warner has never said that.

Well the Chicago CTA Quadio DVD sold out and subsequently came to fetch a pretty penny on the aftermarket, demand for Chicago outstripped supply.. whereas you could still pick up the Aretha Quadio DVD long after Rhino halted the Quadio programme.. Internet speculators put two and two together and made Quadio.

$20 would be reasonable. It's $30 now before shipping. I wonder if Dr. Rhino will put that sucker on sale again.

I paid full price for it and I'm still glad I did as I didn't think I could find it this late in the game. Well worth every penny.

I just recently found a used copy of this. I think it's a stellar release. Great song selection and amazing fidelity. A definite 10 for me.

Have not heard it, but wish to relate an experience I once had. When I was in community college, living on a poor man's budget, in a poor section of town-one cold night I was walking home from class, and had just visited a good friend that shared with me some enlightening 'incense". :yikes
It was about 9:30 Pm or so and went by this house that was dark, and Aretha was playing, this was like 73-74 so it was an LP. But, I had not heard such clarity, and presence. Someone obviously had a very nice set up.
I ended up sitting on the step, enjoying the entire album that played though, then nothing. Never will forget just how good that sounded. Me being a fussy bastard, about most things, if it impressed me it was good.
Point here also, that most likely there are many with talent but heard on inferior audio playback, one never does get the chance to really hear the artist, as shown to me that night. Never appreciated Aretha until then. She is (was) incredible!

Unbeatable tunes, and I love the extended "Rock Steady" and the lost intro to "Chain of Fools." I find the mix wonderfully discrete, even if the underlying sound is limited by typical pop-music engineering of the day. That's the only reason I give it a 9 instead of a 10.

I might be splitting hairs but didn't anyone notice the name of the disc is "The Best of Aretha Franklin", not Greatest Hits! In any case it's great classic soul. Rear vocals on some tracks is a bit odd, it would work best in a vehicle or with traditional square four corner speaker placement. I rip my discs for convenient computer playback using Foobar2000, it would be simple to remap the front and back channels on those tracks if it bothered me.

Not splitting hairs. "Greatest Hits" is a different album with many different songs and different versions of some of the same songs.

Since no track list was given here, it helps to know which Aretha compilation people are talking about.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this re-release of this 1970's Quadraphonic title from RHINO HANDMADE.

(Picture courtesy of QQ Member 'ClarkNovak')

Check the very first post the post title is "Greatest Hits" but is referring to the Quadio release of "Best Of"

I might be splitting hairs but didn't anyone notice the name of the disc is "The Best of Aretha Franklin", not Greatest Hits! In any case it's great classic soul. Rear vocals on some tracks is a bit odd, it would work best in a vehicle or with traditional square four corner speaker placement. I rip my discs for convenient computer playback using Foobar2000, it would be simple to remap the front and back channels on those tracks if it bothered me.

Good catch, I totally screwed that up way back when. It must have been something I was drinking, or consuming, or wasn't paying attention to, or something. Elderly confusions - Whatever, it's fixed!

Thanks!! :confused::mad:@::confused:

Back