UHD (4K) Blu-ray Conversion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Just a heads up for anyone that's thinking of moving to UHD blu-ray, as I am.

Seems there's been a crack found which may enable ripping but it's only available on certain blu-ray drives and firmware versions (A little like the early PS3 SACD crack). Here's an article that mentions some models that are ok - they may sell out fast. I nabbed one today (just in case I may need one in the future):

https://www.myce.com/news/the-ultim...list-with-recommendation-of-best-drive-83254/

I see the LG BH16NS40 on the list. I have the LG BH14NS40. I wonder if it's been tested as it is not currently available.

am I correct that only VLC will play back these ripped UHD mkv files?

Any way to get Oppo or the Sony UBP-X800 to play back these ripped mkv files via USB?

Some Kodi devices playback 4K HEVC with HDR. There's a few that also play HDR on non-HDR TV too using the LibreElec (Linux distribution) with corrected colour space.

These include Apple 4K TV with MRMC version of Kodi (Apple TV may not do MCH flac though) and devices with AMLogic s905X and S912 processors (some around $100 USD). I've ordered a Minix Neo U9 (about $130 USD) as this also supports hires MCH audio, it will arrive just after Christmas by the look.

Latest Intel NUCs (with i processors) are not yet supported for HDR in Kodi on Linux but will do HDR on Windows I believe. Most other recent NUCs do 4K but no HDR.

Kodi on Windows with appropriate graphics card (or latest Intel i processor) will do 4K HDR.

Cheapest entry point will by one of the $100 AMLogic devices with Kodi (LibreElec) especially if you don't have a 4K TV with HDR.

You can check out the Hardware section on the Kodi forum for more details.

EDIT: Most the LibreElec device will also do DTS-HDMA, DTS:X, Atmos, TrueHD via HDMI pass-through

am I correct that only VLC will play back these ripped UHD mkv files?

No

Any way to get Oppo or the Sony UBP-X800 to play back these ripped mkv files via USB?

For the X800 yes and via DLNA as well.

For the X800 Atmos audio is not supported for a converted UHD mkv file but is for the original .m2ts file.

This is all likely the same for the Oppo(s) but I'm not absolutely sure about that since I don't own any.

See here for more on the X800

Just learned about this, this week. Supported by MakeMKV! Too bad my bluray drive isn't however :(

My pc plays all the 4k samples. This is great news for sure...

now supported by AnyDVD (redfox) to create iso's, just need to copy and paste the (formatted) keys into the anydvd folder

DVDfab also made an announcement saying they will support (adding keys) in the near future.

The end is near for Hollywood. lol

Looks like MakeMKV is now supporting decryption of UHD/4K discs. I have now converted all 4 of the UHD disc I purchased to MKV including Atmos and DTS:X.

Hopefully we'll see some UHD concert release soon!

Back