Dutton Vocalion Surround SACD Orders Sent by Royal Mail & Ascendia

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw now got 40+ (wow! haven't DV been prolific in such a short space of time!) of these DV Surround SACDs and only one case has arrived with a crack in it so far, so may well be an issue more for international shipments outside the UK, as has been suggested by DV themselves.

I've had no cracked cases from DV in the UK, and no issues with similar packing from European sellers. However, whenever I have bought CDs/SACDs from the US and they have arrived in similar packing I would say about 20% of the cases are cracked or damaged in some way.

One time I purchased 5 discs from Dutton - and the method that they were packaged (in that particular case) made them crack. They were stacked 2 high and 2 deep, with the 5th one shoved in over the top. So, it created an uneven surface and the pressure made several of them crack. It actually broke the left side of one and made it useless.

Again, that only happened when I ordered 5.

One time I purchased 5 discs from Dutton - and the method that they were packaged (in that particular case) made them crack. They were stacked 2 high and 2 deep, with the 5th one shoved in over the top. So, it created an uneven surface and the pressure made several of them crack. It actually broke the left side of one and made it useless.

the moral of the story is;

"for an even package and crack free arrival, order at least 6 discs (*) from DV everytime!" :D

(* or 8.. or 10.. or 12, or..!!) :ugham:

Now that you mentioned it I realize my last package with 2 cracked discs contained 5 discs. Will be ordering even numbered quantities from now on. Thanks.

Me too! (Oh, wait a minute) :confused:

I ordered 5 and did experience a crack. I think the one sitting on top of the four is not good for the jewel boxes. From now on I too will order only even numbers of discs. They are packed very tightly together.

Still, I can handle a cracked JB here and there if the insides are so good!

I'm quite sure that most of the problems encountered with damage are the product of the automated machines used in the US by the USPS...I have had some damage with Ebay items I sent to buyers...one heavy item was just shredded..and my Fleetwood Mac "outer box" was damaged on the corners...this is the worst corner of the FM outer box...if it had been raining I'm sure it would have reached the inside

IMG_2993.jpg

I'm quite sure that most of the problems encountered with damage are the product of the automated machines used in the US by the USPS...I have had some damage with Ebay items I sent to buyers...one heavy item was just shredded..and my Fleetwood Mac "outer box" was damaged on the corners...this is the worst corner of the FM outer box...if it had been raining I'm sure it would have reached the inside

View attachment 32097

Same here, Clint. It WAS raining [actually POURING that day] and my heart stopped when I beheld a shredded, rain drenched outer box but luckily AmazonUK's sturdy inner packaging saved the day.....and my BIG MAC was intact!:banana:

As for the D~V delivery, the three discs I ordered [Garfunkel x 2/Lynn Anderson] arrived INTACT but I still think D~V could improve their packaging to the states due to the US automated machines' indelicate handling. In the ole days, we used to print HAND STAMP on the package but doubtful that would make a difference these days.:yikes

Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes to get product shipped from Dutton Vocalion to the US? I ordered the two Garfunkel SACDs on March 22. They shipped the next day, but they haven't arrived yet (April 9). Im not worried yet, but most other items coming from the UK typically arrive in a week or so once they ship.

Just received today my last order (Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare SACD & Brakeaway SACD) from Dutton-Vocalion, exactly 20 days to arrive home (NC, USA)

Kind regards,

Today makes a full month waiting for mine (same 2 disks BTW). I'm hoping they ship in batches and mine arrives in the next day or two. Otherwise, they got some splainin' to do.

I ordered 2 classical titles direct from DV that just arrived after a month and looks like they were shipped out of (or through) Budapest.

Arrived in great shape and took a little longer than other orders but still seemed a bit odd.

It typically takes a month to receive D~V shipments to New York [once it took six weeks] and ironically, a recent order with AmazonUK arrived in TWO DAYS! Weird, indeed.

Has anyone ever bought any D-V product through Presto Classical (https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk)?

I remember there was some talk previously that they offered faster shipping options than D-V themselves. There have been several people over at sh.tv (and maybe a few malcontents here :D ) complaining about the long shipping times from D-V themselves, so it would be nice for me to have the information to be able to speak authoritatively about alternatives if the subject comes up.

So, if you've ever used Presto, how much did they charge, what shipping service did they use, and what was the delivery time?

Has anyone ever bought any D-V product through Presto Classical (https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk)?

I remember there was some talk previously that they offered faster shipping options than D-V themselves. There have been several people over at sh.tv (and maybe a few malcontents here :D ) complaining about the long shipping times from D-V themselves, so it would be nice for me to have the information to be able to speak authoritatively about alternatives if the subject comes up.

So, if you've ever used Presto, how much did they charge, what shipping service did they use, and what was the delivery time?
Never ordered D-V from Presto, but I've ordered other stuff from them before. Tends to take around 10 days to the US east coast. Costs $3.40 per disc and $1.70 each additional one I believe (correction: $4.05 for the first item, then $1.65 per item.)

I don't necessarily want to call myself a malcontent (I've ordered about 20 discs direct and try to continue to do so to offer maximum support) but the shipping material D-V uses just isn't sturdy enough for international post, and they should be using proper boxes.

Last edited:
Never ordered D-V from Presto, but I've ordered other stuff from them before. Tends to take around 10 days to the US east coast. Costs $3.40 per disc and $1.70 each additional one I believe (correction: $4.05 for the first item, then $1.65 per item.)

I don't necessarily want to call myself a malcontent (I've ordered about 20 discs direct and try to continue to do so to offer maximum support) but the shipping material D-V uses just isn't sturdy enough for international post, and they should be using proper boxes.
I placed an order from Presto for 2 CDs on April 30, and they arrived on May 5 (US, DC area).

Back