DVD/DTS Poll Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee [DTS CD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTSCD of Toy Matinee - TOY MATINEE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Oh how I wish this was re-released, the prizes are currently a bit high for me. I got the chance to hear it last night on a friends system and boy did it sound good.

I just bought this over the weekend for $18 including delivery, brand new on Ebay... keep looking!

Oh how I wish this was re-released, the prizes are currently a bit high for me. I got the chance to hear it last night on a friends system and boy did it sound good.

Yes, this album could definitely be a big seller if Audio Fidelity could license it out and reissue it as a Multichannel SACD.
One of my favorite albums from the early 90s from a group that bloomed very quickly and then faded away.
I could listen to a track like "Remember My Name" over and over again, and never get tired of it! :)

Skherbeck: Good price indeed!
rtbluray: That would be great! Thankfully the original cd issue sounds excellent in stereo but after last night I just need this in multichannel.

Yes, this album could definitely be a big seller if Audio Fidelity could license it out and reissue it as a Multichannel SACD.
One of my favorite albums from the early 90s from a group that bloomed very quickly and then faded away.
I could listen to a track like "Remember My Name" over and over again, and never get tired of it! :)

One half of the band, Kevin Gilbert died in 1996.

One half of the band, Kevin Gilbert died in 1996.

I'm well aware of that fact and have been ever since I first listened to the album.
The collaboration seemed like it was over even before Gilbert's death though, as Gilbert toured the album on his own with other musicians (including Sheryl Crow!) and Patrick Leonard made the album "Meanwhile" under the name Third Matinee with Richard Page.
Could they have potentially worked together again if Gilbert had not died? Maybe, but they certainly did not elect to do so before then anyway.

:banana: "Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof" :banana:

Discovered a copy of the dvd audio went up for a cheap "buy it now" on a Swedish auction site. 12 bucks, free shipment. Needless to say I hit the mouse button quicker than Chuck Norris does a roundhouse kick (even though that is known to be impossible). Feeling like a child the day before christmas eve. Now, where is that hi rez listing of this already!

:banana: "Because I'm happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof" :banana:

Discovered a copy of the dvd audio went up for a cheap "buy it now" on a Swedish auction site. 12 bucks, free shipment. Needless to say I hit the mouse button quicker than Chuck Norris does a roundhouse kick (even though that is known to be impossible). Feeling like a child the day before christmas eve. Now, where is that hi rez listing of this already!

Yes, you must be happy about getting the dvd-audio version. IMO one of the "must have" surround discs.

Why don't we have this kind of music today? What a different division these guys played in compared to many of todays equivalents... Oh, snap, there are no equivalents to this unique duo and the sound they gave us. Forget it. Anyway, I have been a fan of this for many years, didn't even know there existed a surround release before joining here (later on found out a friend who had it, and I was blown away). Then eventually found it cheap myself. :music

First two tracks are perfect for surround, lots of space in between the instruments, lots of quirky sounds and manipulation and a perfect mix in showing the nuances. The two following, Things She Said and Remember My Name also shine in surround, especially the latter, the rears are used so smootly with almost lingering guitar and vocals to enrich the experience. The title track is, as someone mentioned, a demo track for surround - absolute stellar mix, wow! I played this at HIGH volume for a friend and it sent shiver down his spine! Queen of Misery, again, extremely well produced in the first place, now effictive pulsating in the rears with the big sounds in the fronts and that is basically how it proceeds. Punchy and sublime mix at the same time - lovely.

A 10.

Oh, and how about a hi rez listing? To me it looks like there are enough dvd-a voters to make it happen!

I've had the DVD-A for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. Stylistically, it's sort of like Crowded House (another great DVD-A), but a little heavier. "Last Plane Out", "Turn It On Salvador", and "Remember My Name" are the biggest winners for me.

This one really benefitted from my new practice of playing the stereo to death while waiting for the surround version on order. The difference is astounding. I love the totally rear backing vocals, and unlike many Scheiner mixes there is no reflection of the lead vocal in the rears at all. I know some people like that "open" effect and some remixes do benefit from it, but I like picking apart the waveforms on audacity and that's more fun with drier mixes.

I assume this disc is a direct port of the original DTS disc as the MLP track is 44/16...I actually had trouble ripping that layer with DVDAE, so I just converted the 48/16 DTS to 5.1 FLAC. Sounds fine to me.

Solid 9.

I've had the DVD-A for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. Stylistically, it's sort of like Crowded House (another great DVD-A), but a little heavier. "Last Plane Out", "Turn It On Salvador", and "Remember My Name" are the biggest winners for me.

This one really benefitted from my new practice of playing the stereo to death while waiting for the surround version on order. The difference is astounding. I love the totally rear backing vocals, and unlike many Scheiner mixes there is no reflection of the lead vocal in the rears at all. I know some people like that "open" effect and some remixes do benefit from it, but I like picking apart the waveforms on audacity and that's more fun with drier mixes.

I assume this disc is a direct port of the original DTS disc as the MLP track is 44/16...I actually had trouble ripping that layer with DVDAE, so I just converted the 48/16 DTS to 5.1 FLAC. Sounds fine to me.

Solid 9.

When I was selling gear in 1990 this is my go to demo disc. The production could make almost any piece of gear sound good! To then have it in 5.1 surround was a dream come true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 10 & 9 votes right now are 21, 12. :banana:

Honestly, this mix is crazy good. Reference disc, to these ears. Some might not like the music, but it's fun and rocks, so I can't imagine why.
It's a little poppy, but well done.

"10" from Baggy. I have the DTS-CD.

I would also vote a 10 on this title, but there is no DVD Audio thread (as others have expressed over the years). This disc is really really enjoyable. With a great use of the rears and also the music and lyrics are top notch. I wonder why this group was not more successful.

I would also vote a 10 on this title, but there is no DVD Audio thread (as others have expressed over the years). This disc is really really enjoyable. With a great use of the rears and also the music and lyrics are top notch. I wonder why this group was not more successful.

I’m sure the DTS CD and DTS DVD Audio/Video has the exact same mix. This is why many of us with the DVD version have already voted. :)

I purposely never even considered listening to this band because I couldn't get past the dumb name. :violin
Sounds like I should...

I had never heard of these guys and bought the disc because, at the time, I was starved for surround sound and there just wasn't much available. I began listening and couldn't take it out of the player. I listened to the first 5 songs over and over because they are MAGIC. This had never happened to me before with ANY other disc (and hasn't happened since). I immediately did a search of the artists and was very disappointed to read one of them was dead and there would never be another Toy Matinee disc. If I go over to my system and play it right now, the same thing will happen because its just not a one time listen for me...its that good!

I had never heard of these guys and bought the disc because, at the time, I was starved for surround sound and there just wasn't much available. I began listening and couldn't take it out of the player. I listened to the first 5 songs over and over because they are MAGIC. This had never happened to me before with ANY other disc (and hasn't happened since). I immediately did a search of the artists and was very disappointed to read one of them was dead and there would never be another Toy Matinee disc. If I go over to my system and play it right now, the same thing will happen because its just not a one time listen for me...its that good!

We indeed lost Kevin Gilbert, I have nearly everything I can find on him, solo or otherwise. There is also a brief (30 min) Live Toy Matinee radio concert packaged with Tears For Fears.

Lastly, Patrick Leonard teamed with Richard Page (Mr. Mister) for album on Reprise as Third Matinee. Alas, while it is quite listenable it would never match the impact the original album had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back