Individual Songs You'd Love To Hear In Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
There are all kinds of “best of”/”most wanted” threads, but I don’t think anyone’s done this one yet. Only rule is that the song cannot officially exist in MCH at all (like if it’s a bad mix and you want a redo- that's a topic for another thread I guess). It’s worth mentioning if a song you pick decodes nicely or if there’s a good upmix out there though.

Here’s a few from me:

Aerosmith- “Dream On”:

I’ve always wondered why the excellent S/T didn’t get the quad treatment along with it’s 3 follow-ups, or a 5.1 SACD back in the early-2000s. Probably a master tape-related issue, since the "Guitar Hero: Aerosmith" video game from several years ago used re-recorded versions of songs from this album.

Anyway, I always pictured your standard columbia quad rock mix for this one- phantom center bass and vocals, stereo drums, maybe acoustic guitar rear left and electric rear right. Guitar solos between verses could pop out of one of the rear corners or phantom center.

Boston- “Peace Of Mind”:

Boston's S/T is one of those rare cases where the multis are actually out there (Rockband stems?), so it is possible to hear several fans' takes of this one in discrete surround. The 5.1 done by a member here is almost perfect IMO, aside from one key moment.

The break about halfway through features dueling guitar parts- in stereo they trade left and right. In the fan-made 5.1, they are placed LF and RF. I always imagined they would move clockwise around the soundfield. There are four parts, so it would work perfectly.

Gimmicky? Maybe. Fun? I think so.

Led Zep- “Kashmir”:

I’d kill to hear any Zep track in surround, but this was always one of my favorites. It’s got a lot going on- complex orchestra and guitar passages, that weird middle-eastern keyboard/sitar effect on the bridge (“As the sun….burns the ground”). Could be spectacular if done correctly.

Billy Joel- “The Longest Time”:

I think a “Seven Bridges Road”-type mix would be extremely effective here.
What a shame that An Innocent Man didn’t get the 5.1 SACD treatment as well.

Steely Dan- “Peg”:

I doubt I’m alone on this one. To hear MM’s backing vocals neatly separated out and blasting from the rears would be pretty awesome. Based on ES's other SD mixing work, there's probably a good chance it would've been presented that way.

Wow they would all sound great in surround! "The Longest Time" would be brilliant with the a cappella backing vocals in the rears. Kashmir you could really get rocking! Emimem sampled "Dream On" for Sing For The Moment so the masters must be available somewhere?

Off the top of my head...

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

The early piano part could be quite tame with vocals isolated. But when the chorus comes in "It's Me...." Wham you have a blast with all the speakers!

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Again a slow start but with the organ you can have a bit of panning. "So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills" leads you to the drum beat and the synths come in the rears with bum bum bum bum. Just huge scope for a true 360 degree sound!

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Don't know if this a cheat because of the rumoured surround album, but imagine the rears being used for that door opening and the footsteps moving to the front. You'd have the hairs standing up on the back of your neck. Good bass for the sub too...

ELO - Evil Woman

The extra speakers would really be good with the backing vocals and the strings used...

I really liked the Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" release, so actually there is some scope to have singles released?

Cool post! There are many more but those are the first I could think of... :cool:

Last edited:
Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours
You could really get into the different instrument layers and the backing “oooh baby, here I am” could really add depth in surround.

Dire Straights - Sultans Of Swing
Poss my fave song of theirs and they did such a good job on Brothers In Arms - this would be great!

Eric Clapton - Bad Love
More 80’s but that guitar intro after the synths - wow could be stellar!

Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting on You)
I love this song and it would be even more haunting in surround. Those synths would have an extra dimension and the guitar parts would really stand out.

I think I like synths quite a lot looking at it!

Last edited:
Just to let you know...Kashmir and Whole Lotta Love are available on the Led Zep Blu Ray Audio Celebration Day disc in surround

Yep but being a live album it doesn't bring the songs out to their full (studio) surround potential. Damn I wanted to go to that concert!:violin

My list is waaaaaaay too long...

Oh, man--I hear you. Hard to limit it to individual songs, too.

For instance: there's all kinds of stuff on at least 3 of the 4 Michael McDonald-era Doobie Brothers albums that I'm dying to hear in surround, starting with "You're Made That Way" (which leads off my favorite of those albums, Livin' on the Fault Line). The horns, the congas, the strings, the synths, the Skunk Baxter guitar licks, the multi-tracked MM backing vocals...

[Edit: although the title track to that album has even more layers to the mix, and an even jazzier arrangement!]

Yep but being a live album it doesn't bring the songs out to their full (studio) surround potential. Damn I wanted to go to that concert!:violin

I didn't say it was good...just that it exists:)..since you are relatively new here...a disc that is cheap and a lot of fun(and sounds better than the blu ray audio)is a DVD-V with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page....not Led Zep....HERE..the picture is typical DVD...I use it as a audio only disc....and although this DVD was not technically Led Zep...Jason Bonham and John Paul Jones were involved..

Wow, I love this concept.... WAY TOO HARD TO CHOOSE, I limited myself to one year, 1976...here's some I would LOVE

Boston - Foreplay/Long time,
Kansas - Miracles Out of Nowhere
Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
Thin Lizzy - The Boys are Back in Town

Cool, thanks. I might just get that then.... :) So come on Clint, give us a few tunes...

Let me say more about that DVD...the Kashmir song is exceptional on that disc...it's not conventional...added instruments..but it doesn't detract from the music..it enhances it...it's 8 minutes and 48 seconds in length...that's all I have to say about it..I was listening to it during this post(y)

Oh boy...sigh...you are reading my thoughts again..shouldn't you be playing with your new AVR:fly:

Well, it's pretty hard to deal with switching out a new AVR with all the damn wires and connections...after dark. Yeah, I have lights, but man....hard to see. Plus, I would need to run wires and run Audyssey...and I don't have the atmos speakers till tomorrow. So, I'll wait....

Anyway, I'm ripping some music.... ;)

Kraftwerk-Autobahn.......Kansas-Point Of Know Return/Carry On Wayward Son.......Lynyrd Skynyrd-Freebird.......One Thing Leads To Another-The Fixx

Last edited:
Well, it's pretty hard to deal with switching out a new AVR with all the damn wires and connections...after dark. Yeah, I have lights, but man....hard to see. Plus, I would need to run wires and run Audyssey...and I don't have the atmos speakers till tomorrow. So, I'll wait....

Anyway, I'm ripping some music.... ;)

Well...you are ripping music huh....well I LIKE that..carry on:banana:

Wow they would all sound great in surround! "The Longest Time" would be brilliant with the a cappella backing vocals in the rears. Kashmir you could really get rocking! Emimem sampled "Dream On" for Sing For The Moment so the masters must be available somewhere?

Off the top of my head...

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

The early piano part could be quite tame with vocals isolated. But when the chorus comes in "It's Me...." Wham you have a blast with all the speakers!

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Again a slow start but with the organ you can have a bit of panning. "So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills" leads you to the drum beat and the synths come in the rears with bum bum bum bum. Just huge scope for a true 360 degree sound!

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Don't know if this a cheat because of the rumoured surround album, but imagine the rears being used for that door opening and the footsteps moving to the front. You'd have the hairs standing up on the back of your neck. Good bass for the sub too...

ELO - Evil Woman

The extra speakers would really be good with the backing vocals and the strings used...

I really liked the Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" release, so actually there is some scope to have singles released?

Cool post! There are many more but those are the first I could think of... :cool:

Oh Mr. S....I hate to mention this...but you CAN have that surround version of Evil Woman...and a used copy is even cheaper than my last suggestion...and I'm listening to Evil Woman right now in DTS 5.1..grab a used copy HERE

Back