ReUpmix (Remix Upmix) from stereo tracks to 4.1 surroundsound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdysseyMusik

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
In my ears ReUpmix sounds better that normal steady upmix: Here's a sampler with Mike Oldfield, Gentle Giant, Supertramp & Keith Hopcroft:

https://surroundmusic.one/reupmix/

Would like to hear your opinion on that!:)

Hats off for the release of Gentle Giant Octopuss! A good mix of SW surroundmix and stereo penta-upmixes of those numbers without the originale instrument and vocel tracks for making a proper surroundmix! Hope more of such albums would be released and that ReUpmixing will be used for those who need upmixing!

Well alrighty then OM, you asked so here's my humble opinion for whatever it's worth: as for the upmix, it is an enjoyable ride, however neither version knocks my socks off like some upmixes i have heard in the past. Also I am sorry but i don't hear much of a difference between the regular and the super versions, however it's only 1 track so it's hard to give a real serious listen. The 15 second snips are just annoying for me so i can't give you an opinion on those.
Going forward as a business plan for your upmixing, which is what seems like you are shooting for, i think you have a very difficult road ahead, but i do wish you luck.

What kind of upmix knocks your socks off like some upmixes you have heard in the past? I would like to know what is better than my upmixes!:)

ReUpmixes depends a lot on the stereo mix; If all instruments are close to the center then ReUpmix is almost the same as normal steady upmixes. And Hello (with Keith Hopcroft) as I guess you refer to is one of these kind of albums. So only thing to move around was the drum break, and I understand if some find that too far out!;)

It is a shame you don’t want to listen to the 15 sec snips: Supertramp and Gentle Giant have very good stereo mixes for ReUpmixes! I have heard I’m only allowed to share 15 sec, and that it would be illegal to share a full length of one of these numbers…. Anyone knows about that? I can’t share a full track, right?
A shame youtube don’t support multichannel sound, then I could post it there and they add some commercials for the rightsholders or how they do it….

I prefer to mix proper 5.1 albums!!! But for important albums without the original instrument and vocal tracks for making a proper 5.1 mix I still prefer to listen to ReUpmixes instead of normal steady upmixes. That is my opinion and maybe I’m alone on that!;)

What kind of upmix knocks your socks off like some upmixes you have heard in the past? I would like to know what is better than my upmixes!:)

ReUpmixes depends a lot on the stereo mix; If all instruments are close to the center then ReUpmix is almost the same as normal steady upmixes. And Hello (with Keith Hopcroft) as I guess you refer to is one of these kind of albums. So only thing to move around was the drum break, and I understand if some find that too far out!;)

It is a shame you don’t want to listen to the 15 sec snips: Supertramp and Gentle Giant have very good stereo mixes for ReUpmixes! I have heard I’m only allowed to share 15 sec, and that it would be illegal to share a full length of one of these numbers…. Anyone knows about that? I can’t share a full track, right?
A shame youtube don’t support multichannel sound, then I could post it there and they add some commercials for the rightsholders or how they do it….

I prefer to mix proper 5.1 albums!!! But for important albums without the original instrument and vocal tracks for making a proper 5.1 mix I still prefer to listen to ReUpmixes instead of normal steady upmixes. That is my opinion and maybe I’m alone on that!;)

Don't get me wrong OM, I did like your upmix of the hello song, it did not however blow me away. I also did not notice much of a difference between what you are calling a steady upmix and your new reupmix process, sorry for that. I too am an avid upmixer, I love upmixes, and for me it is a fun hobby. So maybe you are unaware that upmixing has been around for many years now, some of the early upmixers like Area51, Toup, and Gart had done some impressive work, some not so impressive but many were very very good. in the more recent years our own Zeearound has brought upmixing home to me as well as many others with his Spec program. Several peeps have done some work with his program that is truly amazing, a few of those are Floydflush, Blueskiesandsunshine, and our own DKA, and Arseniolupino -AL. each of these guys (to name a few) have done work that has indeed "knocked my socks off".

Yes indeed, successful upmixing depends very much on starting with a wide stereo sound-field, if everything is mixed to the center there is not much any current upmixing process can do, my hope is that one day someone develops a program that has the ability to actually isolate specific instruments and voices within a recorded program. which probably will happen one day. that would be Awesome beyond words! (Z you listening bud).

Of course I understand you can't share someone elses copyrighted music, but again I am sorry, I can't judge anything in 15secs, Hell, often these days it takes me longer than that just to stand up!

On your final note I guess I really don't understand what you are speaking about when you say "normal steady upmix" as opposed to a "reupmix" please excuse my ignorance.

Several peeps have done some work... that is truly amazing, a few of those are Floydflush, Blueskiesandsunshine, and our own DKA, and Arseniolupino -AL. each of these guys (to name a few) have done work that has indeed "knocked my socks off".

And may I add Holland123 to this list;)

What do you mean by "steady?" I think something is getting lost in translation.

Yeah sorry! We had only one year of English in high-school (and 3 years of French :confused:) ;)
Maybe I should say a fixed upmix placed 50% in the front and 50% in the rears not moving around (or 55% front -45% rear...)

In my ReUpmix I move the stereo mix a little way from the center (for example parts with lead-vocal closer to the front and instrument parts closer to the rear and give it some angle too when sometimes something appears only in the right or left channel. This works good in my ears!
But maybe some other techniques could make it work even better?!! Would be nice if there was a thread with this stuff!:D

Thanks a lot for your responds!!!(y)

Yeah sorry! We had only one year of English in high-school (and 3 years of French :confused:) ;)
Maybe I should say a fixed upmix placed 50% in the front and 50% in the rears not moving around (or 55% front -45% rear...)

In my ReUpmix I move the stereo mix a little way from the center (for example parts with lead-vocal closer to the front and instrument parts closer to the rear and give it some angle too when sometimes something appears only in the right or left channel. This works good in my ears!
But maybe some other techniques could make it work even better?!! Would be nice if there was a thread with this stuff!:D

Thanks a lot for your responds!!!(y)

ok now i understand, so to me when you say reupmix what you are really saying is it is version 2 upmix with some steering or angle adjustments. often when i am working on something i end up doing 5 or 6 versions with little adjustments in each before i am happy.

Back