DTS-HD Master Audio: BR only?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I confess i have little information about the DTS-HD encoding capabilities, oother than it's lossless and multichannel.
The question is, DTS-HD MA is a blu-ray only thing or it is possible to use "legally"* a dts-hd ma stream on a ordinary DVD? For sure the total bitrate is a concern, i have zero information on that.

*it's not a problem with piracy, "legally" as a stream that is correctly recognized by the player and sent out correctly to the desired audio output, being digital HDMI or analog.

DTS-HD MA is simply a rebranding of MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing). They are one and the same. You can only put a DTS-HD MA stream in the TS_AUDIO directory on a DVD, which makes it a DVD-A. An ordinary DVD player won't play such a disc.

DTS-HD MA is simply a rebranding of MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing). They are one and the same. You can only put a DTS-HD MA stream in the TS_AUDIO directory on a DVD, which makes it a DVD-A. An ordinary DVD player won't play such a disc.

But... if dts-hd ma is just a disguised MLP, how is that a dts decoder can decode only the core stream (lossy 24bit/96KHz max for what i remember) while a better one can give the lossless full stream?
Or did i have it wrong for years? It may be... i'm not perfect and the brain cells are going south ore and more every day...

Whoops, sorry, ignore everything I said! I was talking about Dolby TrueHD. DTS-HD Master Audio is, as you suspected, a lossless extension to DTS, which does contain the DTS core. As far as I know know, it's not included in the DVD standard at all.

Whoops, sorry, ignore everything I said! I was talking about Dolby TrueHD. DTS-HD Master Audio is, as you suspected, a lossless extension to DTS, which does contain the DTS core. As far as I know know, it's not included in the DVD standard at all.

For sure it can't be in the original DVD standard, since it came a lot later; however the question remain: would be "legal" - as above - to use a dts-hd ma stream on a dvd disc, or it is just bluray?

For sure it can't be in the original DVD standard, since it came a lot later; however the question remain: would be "legal" - as above - to use a dts-hd ma stream on a dvd disc, or it is just bluray?

Just Blu-ray, I'm afraid. DVD players were designed to implement that spec, and won't know what to do with the DTS-HD Master Audio stream. At best, they'll reproduce its lossy DTS core. The lossless part is encoded in a separate stream.

This is probably not the complete answer to your question, but it may help you on your quest for the answer. It is possible to add DTS-HD MA files encoded into FLAC onto an ordinary DVD. Those FLAC files will then play on an Oppo BDP-103. Hope this helps in your eventual understanding of the answer to you question.

I confess i have little information about the DTS-HD encoding capabilities, oother than it's lossless and multichannel.
The question is, DTS-HD MA is a blu-ray only thing or it is possible to use "legally"* a dts-hd ma stream on a ordinary DVD? For sure the total bitrate is a concern, i have zero information on that.

*it's not a problem with piracy, "legally" as a stream that is correctly recognized by the player and sent out correctly to the desired audio output, being digital HDMI or analog.

Last edited:
Just Blu-ray, I'm afraid. DVD players were designed to implement that spec, and won't know what to do with the DTS-HD Master Audio stream. At best, they'll reproduce its lossy DTS core. The lossless part is encoded in a separate stream.

Thanks.
What if i use a Blu-ray PLAYER to play a DVD-Video DISC with a DTS-HD MA stream - always IF i can author it into the Video_TS folder? Should play the lossless stream correctly?

Thanks.
What if i use a Blu-ray PLAYER to play a DVD-Video DISC with a DTS-HD MA stream - always IF i can author it into the Video_TS folder? Should play the lossless stream correctly?

Probably not. You're so far from the mainstream at that point that the only way to find out would be to perform the experiment. That said, if you're willing to go to all that trouble, why not just rip all your lossless music to flac and store it on a hard drive? Many of us do that. It's easy and works well.

Obscure fact: It is possible to put uncompressed 4.0 channel 48/24 LPCM onto a DVD-V and remain spec compliant. In fact, Tacet did exactly that on some discs, such as this one. Despite what the cover says, it's an ordinary DVD, not a DVD-A.

Thanks.

If you are using a Blu-Ray player and the ISO is less than the 4.6 gig or so of usable space on a single layer DVD, you can burn the Blu-Ray ISO right onto a blank DVD and the player will play it exactly as if it were a Blu-Ray disc. No re-authoring required. A few of the Blu-Ray music discs can be burned this way.

Thanks.

You can use DTS-HD encoded files to create a Blu-ray compatible AVCHD disc on a DVD-R using Audiomuxer.

My understanding is that DTS-HD technically isn't in the AVCHD spec - but it works.

Back