The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slowly getting into EDM (Electronic Dance Music)...
Last Dec 30th was at Decadence...Bassnectar is definitely king in here..
Last week I was at Cervantes (my favorite club so far!) and saw Jantsen , who is very close to Bassnectar musically and as a friend.... but I really liked Tsuruda, VERY left field!

Morton Subotnick, electronic music pioneer is currently touring at age 84 and performing his opus Silver Apples of the Moon commissioned by Nonesuch records. He performs this with another work with his wife Joan La Barbara in 5.1 surround sound. I just missed seeing him in los Angeles at the Redcat theater this week but saw him three years ago when he signed some of my album covers after the concert. Then as now he performed in surround and the sound and mix were exquisite. He got a very good concert review, I check the Redcat listings and somehow didn't find out about this concert. If he comes to your locale it is worth an evening and ask him about his quad albums.....

Last weekend we stayed in Milwaukee. Usually, we visit for the day, since it's an hour's drive. Although it's 10 miles further than Chicago, it's so much easier and faster.

On Friday, we saw/listened to/met Kelsea Ballerini at the Riverside. I was so impressed that she walked up and extended her hand "I'm Kelsea" to me at the private event before the show. Her performance was very good, but the audio was very clipped, which is very unusual for the Riverside. The opening act, Morgan Evans wasn't to our taste.

On Saturday, we saw/listened to Steve Winwood, also at Milwaukee's Riverside. We last saw him opening for Steely Dan at Northerly Island in Chicago in 2016. The show was very similar. He played for 1 1/2 hours, which was twice as long as his opening set for Steely Dan. Steve sounded great and is no worse for the wear. If you get a chance to go to one of his shows, TAKE IT. Once again, he covered Buddy Miles' Them Changes, along with his solo, Traffic, Spencer Davis and Blind Faith tracks. My big disappointments were that I wish he played longer and he did NOTHING from Arc of a Diver. He had played a couple tracks from it in 2016. Minor bitches, I know. His Daughter Lilly opened, and later added background vocals on a few of her Dad's songs. I'd rate this show a 9 1/2 or 10. The audio was much, much cleaner and clearer than the Kelsea Ballerini show.

We had a chance to visit some of my Milwaukee favorites on Friday and Saturday: Italian Deli & Bakery on Brady Street, Mader's, Usinger's sausages, and The Exclusive Company record store (Say it With Me!)

This weekend, I'm dragging Joe to the Symphony to infuse him with some culture. Before we met, I was a Chicago Symphony subscriber during both Solti & Barenboim's tenure for several years. Beethoven and Shostakovich are on the program. I wonder if we'll get to meet them!?!

I saw Steven Wilson a few days ago in Essen, Germany. Concert hall with big upholstered seats, so it was very different from your usual pop concert. Any way, it was really fantastic first class sound, crisp and clean (as I expected), though really loud. Great production values, and great musicianship (I liked particularly "Home Invasion"). My son, who was forced by me to join me, liked it very much as well (he is normally more involved with all forms of heavy metal). All I can say is, if you have a chance, go and see it!

Every time I mention to someone that I'm going to see the Dixie Dregs this Friday in Kent, Ohio, I have to stop and say, "I can't believe I'm going to see the Dregs!!!" I really can't.
Steve Morse, Andy West, Rod Morgenstein, Allen Sloan, Steve Davidowski... I really can't wait.

Every time I mention to someone that I'm going to see the Dixie Dregs this Friday in Kent, Ohio, I have to stop and say, "I can't believe I'm going to see the Dregs!!!" I really can't.
Steve Morse, Andy West, Rod Morgenstein, Allen Sloan, Steve Davidowski... I really can't wait.

Steve Morse? ooh cool, I was listening some some of his only yesterday! enjoy yourself!

Just seen Steven Wilson play in Cardiff, an absolutely AWESOME gig. The standard of the musicians is breath taking, and the songs & arrangements were excellent. Yes I really enjoyed it! A double :SB:SB & :SG:dance:rocks sort of gig! PS: There was some surround used for some songs

Also, met up with QQer svengaleekie, so we had a good chat about music and surround stuff, and he introduced myself and my brother to Rob Reed. I get the impression Sanctuary III is something special, Rob did enthuse about the surround. Then standing next to Rob Reed was Matt Cohen of The Ghost Community, so had a quick chat.

Just seen Steven Wilson play in Cardiff, an absolutely AWESOME gig. The standard of the musicians is breath taking, and the songs & arrangements were excellent. Yes I really enjoyed it! A double :SB:SB & :SG:dance:rocks sort of gig! PS: There was some surround used for some songs

Also, met up with QQer svengaleekie, so we had a good chat about music and surround stuff, and he introduced myself and my brother to Rob Reed. I get the impression Sanctuary III is something special, Rob did enthuse about the surround. Then standing next to Rob Reed was Matt Cohen of The Ghost Community, so had a quick chat.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable night! I'm seeing Steven Wilson at the Albert Hall next week (and also seeing Yes at the Palladium this weekend :)).

I've seen a couple of interesting comments from Steven Wilson recently - (1) there's no chance of Porcupine Tree reforming - that's understandable, "I’m not interested in going backwards", (2) the title track from Raven is one of his favourite songs, but from one of his least favourite albums - the comment about the album surprised me.

(2) the title track from Raven is one of his favourite songs, but from one of his least favourite albums - the comment about the album surprised me.

I think that the overtly progressive elements of that record have probably worn thin after all this time.
There are definitely some great songs on "The Raven..." (especially "Drive Home") but the keyboard & sax soloing has not aged well IMHO.

.... (2) the title track from Raven is one of his favourite songs, but from one of his least favourite albums - the comment about the album surprised me.

Hmm, interesting...I still think it's his best album...maybe the "controlling Scorpio" part of him is not happy that AP was part of the project...and OTOH, The Raven is a very emotional record (maybe that is why I like it so much) and I am positive that playing it over and over really wears you out.. like a relationship that is not there anymore...

Back