Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since quad reel to reel was issued on all four albums, Doobies is lower priority to me personally. From the Warner vaults I'd place Joni, Jackson Browne, and a couple other higher priority.

Of the titles that came out on reel format I would place the two Randy Newman quads higher priority as well.

Plus the Doobies albums do feature some songs that are forgettable. Not every song is a China Grove or Black Water imo.

Not to be a downer or anything.

Since quad reel to reel was issued on all four albums, Doobies is lower priority to me personally. From the Warner vaults I'd place Joni, Jackson Browne, and a couple other higher priority.

Of the titles that came out on reel format I would place the two Randy Newman quads higher priority as well.

Plus the Doobies albums do feature some songs that are forgettable. Not every song is a China Grove or Black Water imo.

I'm happy with the excellent DBs QR conversions floating around out there, too--and I agree: every one of those albums is uneven. (My personal opinion: Vices is tops!) And sure, if you put my feet to the fire, I'd go with Joni Mitchell and Randy Newman over the Doobies. But I hate to pit them against each other. Let's have 'em all!

The first Doobie Brothers record I heard when I was a youngster that resulted with repeated plays to this day is “Toulouse Street”. Since, I now have everything up to “Minute by Minute”, I tend to listen to and have come to appreciate “Streets” and “Vices” along with “Toulouse Street”. I very much look forward to having the available albums in Quad someday, on BD combo set.

Last edited:

Not to denigrate the excellent sounding Open Reels [which I do have] but they were duplicated @ 7 1/2 ips which is hardly representative of the original 15 or 30 ips masters. That said, I do agree that RHINO should release the artists you mentioned, AS WELL, MOST especially Joni Mitchell's two masterpieces BLUE and Court and Spark.

Your experience is quite different from mine. These four albums (plus Takin' It To The Streets) remain strong and beloved in my memory and always will. None of it is "forgettable."

Funny... I asked Tom Johnston last summer about releasing the old quad stuff like Chicago did (they were on tour together). He seems pretty interested in the idea. Maybe he was blowing smoke up my ass.... but then maybe he wasn't!

I've the majority of the Doobies albums on Vinyl (sadly not the Quads), but from my CD/SACD/DVDA/BDA database it seems I really do like "The Captain & Me", and now I'll get it and the other 3 in Quad on BDA (?(y) ) Yipee!
doobies.JPG

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

ya get Snood point :love:

I've the majority of the Doobies albums on Vinyl (sadly not the Quads), but from my CD/SACD/DVDA/BDA database it seems I really do like "The Captain & Me", and now I'll get it and the other 3 in Quad on BDA (?(y) ) Yipee!

The Captain & Me's quad is quite different from the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix...I like 'em both but the quad is definitely a bit more experimental/aggressive in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back