HiRez Poll Anathema - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Anathema - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE

• Total voters
This is a wonderful listen. And I'm glad it was released in true DVD-A.
It has some minor sonic shortcomings, now and then. So, I don't feel it deserves top marks for sound.
I also find Distant Satellites a bit more enjoyable, musically.
So I'm knocking off a couple of points and going with an 8.
Recommended.

I know this is an old poll....please forgive my late and contrary to previous poster's viewpoints. I just acquired this on a private purchase from an individual, the price was cheap enough.
I think a lot of this work is very repetitous and somewhat boring. It screams for a theme...that isn't quite there. The surround aspect is OK, it's the content that is lacking IMO, sort of just drones on through the first few tracks.
But I got it cheap enough, and even though I sat down and gave it a fair listen, I can't say I'd buy it again. I would say that over time I might mellow in my decision, but frankly I have too much music I like to waste any more time.
There, I said it, I think maybe my first negative review?

I know this is an old poll....please forgive my late and contrary to previous poster's viewpoints. I just acquired this on a private purchase from an individual, the price was cheap enough.
I think a lot of this work is very repetitous and somewhat boring. It screams for a theme...that isn't quite there. The surround aspect is OK, it's the content that is lacking IMO, sort of just drones on through the first few tracks.
But I got it cheap enough, and even though I sat down and gave it a fair listen, I can't say I'd buy it again. I would say that over time I might mellow in my decision, but frankly I have too much music I like to waste any more time.
There, I said it, I think maybe my first negative review?
No worries - I own this, and didn't vote. I hate voting on something where I hate the content. I mean, there is youtube....and we all should be able to listen to this stuff before we buy it. I guess I didn't....everything you said, I agree with. I mean, boring isn't a big enough adjective. I find it monotonous and simply going no where. Mix is OK, If I were to vote based on content and mix...I'd probably give it a 6.

But again, my fault for even buying it. I should have known the content would simply put me to sleep.....
And, for those who love it...... :LB

No worries - I own this, and didn't vote. I hate voting on something where I hate the content. I mean, there is youtube....and we all should be able to listen to this stuff before we buy it. I guess I didn't....everything you said, I agree with. I mean, boring isn't a big enough adjective. I find it monotonous and simply going no where. Mix is OK, If I were to vote based on content and mix...I'd probably give it a 6.

But again, my fault for even buying it. I should have known the content would simply put me to sleep.....
And, for those who love it...... :LB

A good mix can more then offset the content (if it's not exactly your cup of tea), but the problem is that this mix is one of Mr. Wilsons poorer efforts.

I actually prefer this album in many respects to subsequent releases as I find it a little more guitar driven. I don't care as much for the more recent electronica sound from the band and soaring vocals of Mrs. Lee. I file Distant Satellites under 'Pop' for digitalized storage.

I should have known the content would simply put me to sleep.....

It just goes to show there is no accounting for taste! IIRC, your favorite album is by Art Garfunkle right now. That album is literally too boring for me to invest in.
Thankfully, I did audition it on youtube. If not youtube, there are sometimes Amazon clips, soundcloud or other online stereo sources. Or used CDs for a fraction of the cost of a new surround release.

Anathema's last several offerings - the surround albums - have a kind of energy and propulsion that I like. :LB:rocks:SB And I dig Lee's voice a lot. :love: The guys voice is ok. Sonically and energy-wise we are enough of a match.
Song-wise, Anathema tends to meander and sometimes seems to go nowhere, at least for a while. This doesn't bother me. I find it interesting sometimes and hypnotic at other times. Either way, that is ok.
Background music is a large and ever-growing part of my collection.
Distant Satellites is probably still my favorite, maybe followed by Weather Systems, but I like this album plenty too. I haven't been able to get in to The Optimist though. Maybe someday, or maybe it will go up for sale. We'll see.

Back