Elliot Scheiner Interview (1999 from MIX)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
A century ago, this article came out. I was looking for info on the ELS 3D Audio system (the entire old ELS website is gone, by the way) and found this article from MIX. I thought it was very interesting, and some of you might like to read it, so here goes:

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/elliot-scheiner-sings-praises-51-372869

Wonderful to revisit this article, Jon, and you must be somewhat proud that at one time your home state of Connecticut was the MUSICAL surround capital of the world with the brilliant Mr. 5.1 @ the helm.

What's disturbing is what could have been IF the music conglomerates with ever~evolving digital technology at their fingertips had realized the added expense of doing ALL their albums in surround could've singlehandedly revitalized the nascent 70's QUAD industry which failed because of the 'primitive' technology of the time.

And I still agree with Mr. Scheiner that four full range speakers with extended bass characteristics, properly imaged, could indeed actually give you 6 channels of discrete sound.... with phantom center channels both front and rear.

Since Mr. Scheiner, who turned 71 on March 18, is hopefully enjoying his retirement, too bad ALL his many unreleased mixes are 'rotting' in the vaults and may never be released. :cautious: He was a TRUE master at his craft.

Last edited:
The Cars, Aja, Can't Buy A Thrill. Maaannn get 'em out!! £20 blu ray on Amazon - simples...

Talking of The Cars, he clearly saw a lot more potential in 5.1 in automobiles then actually transpired... You Acura guys will be able to disagree. My car only has a CD/FM radio! It's pretty crap... :)

And the WHOLE Steely Dan catalogue.........so what happened to THAT? Apparently, to make that type of claim, ALL the SD multitrack masters were obviously intact at the time!!!!!!!!!

The information in this old thread indicates that there were multis missing for more than just Aja. I guess they didn't realize the extent of the problem at the time that claim was made.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ound-music-awards-review-and-discussion.5994/

I just wish they would release the Pretzel Logic album that actually was finished...

The information in this old thread indicates that there were multis missing for more than just Aja. I guess they didn't realize the extent of the problem at the time that claim was made.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ound-music-awards-review-and-discussion.5994/

I just wish they would release the Pretzel Logic album that actually was finished...

Man o' man....TWISTED logic on the part of Universal NOT to release ES's remix of Pretzel Logic. What ARE they waiting for?

The ES 5.1 remix of the Car's debut album and Pretzel Logic would sell through the roof!

Last edited:

While we're at it: let's get the unreleased Greg Penny Eltons! Adam once hinted darkly (in an old thread that I can't find) that there were more petty and horrifying details to that story than we could imagine. I wouldn't want him to be indiscreet, but just the same, I hope the truth will out one day.

As for the missing SD multis: I wonder what the full story is. (This is another one of those areas where it would be useful to have a sticky "reference" resource--in this case, a section where we could compile all the info about unreleased high-interest titles.) It was in 2004 that the first 5 Dan albums were slated for imminent release on SACD 5.1--even announced to retailers, right?--then postponed once or twice before disappearing for good. The conference report in the thread you quoted, where Scheiner implies that there were tapes missing for more than one album, was 2005. Then in 2006 he revealed that PL was ready and he'd like to have a go at the others, too, but they were stymied by missing multis for "Aja" and "Black Cow" (the only tracks he specifically mentioned).

I agree it would be great to compile all the info we have on this canceled SD back catalog 5.1 remix program in one place...it seems to keep coming up

While we're at it: let's get the unreleased Greg Penny Eltons! Adam once hinted darkly (in an old thread that I can't find) that there were more petty and horrifying details to that story than we could imagine. I wouldn't want him to be indiscreet, but just the same, I hope the truth will out one day.

As for the missing SD multis: I wonder what the full story is. (This is another one of those areas where it would be useful to have a sticky "reference" resource--in this case, a section where we could compile all the info about unreleased high-interest titles.) It was in 2004 that the first 5 Dan albums were slated for imminent release on SACD 5.1--even announced to retailers, right?--then postponed once or twice before disappearing for good. The conference report in the thread you quoted, where Scheiner implies that there were tapes missing for more than one album, was 2005. Then in 2006 he revealed that PL was ready and he'd like to have a go at the others, too, but they were stymied by missing multis for "Aja" and "Black Cow" (the only tracks he specifically mentioned).

Amen to the unreleased Elton John SACDs. They've been remixed and by all accounts almost all of us QQers have been more than thrilled by the existing EJ multichannel SACDs.....so what's the REAL hold~up??????

Universal has been of late releasing a lot of Philips/DGG/Decca multichannel/Stereo Classical releases on BD~A and has been licensing these labels to Pentatone for release as QUAD SACDs but when it comes to their popular catalogue, I cannot understand why they are reluctant to either reissue them themselves or license them to Dutton Vocalion for release on SACD.

"When I mixed Fleetwood Mac, none of them were around when I was doing the 5.1. Finally, the very last night, I got them to come in, and I crammed them in this little space in the studio in the middle of the speakers, and when I played the 5.1 for them their mouths dropped. Lindsey Buckingham said, "I don't think I can ever listen to stereo again. "

Oh.....what I wouldn't give to hear Elliot mix Lindsey's solo catalog into surround. Go Insane and Out of the Cradle in particular would be amazing candidates. So much stuff going on in those records, they could be amazing.

Back