Found this "Best 10 Surround Tracks" on the web. What do you all think?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AC/DC?? huh??? Would agree with the first 2 being top 10 - Selling England is koooo but not top 10 - the rest def not top 10 - and whhhhhhhhhhhy the Joni Mitchell urrrrrgh - def not a good surround experience. o_O

AC/DC?? huh??? Would agree with the first 2 being top 10 - Selling England is koooo but not top 10 - the rest def not top 10 - and whhhhhhhhhhhy the Joni Mitchell urrrrrgh - def not a good surround experience. o_O
I thought the same thing about Joni Mitchell but I never heard it so who knows.

if Only there was a link to the QQ top 10 ... :rolleyes:

Although good debate - maybe a not prog rock accentiated list is a good way to go?!? Only joking...

For me

Avalon
DSOTM
GYBR
Brothers in Arms
Sea Change
The Stranger
Rumours
Tapestry
Blood on the tracks
Remain In Light

C’mon B&W - update and you’ll sell more speakers!

Regarding best surround releases- there is this old thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...op-10-surround-music-discs-of-all-time.10523/

Here's another one about individual songs- https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo.../greatest-quadraphonic-mixes-songs-only.2045/

I stand by my thoughts in post #101- though there a few I would now add that I hadn't heard at the time (Avalon, Sea Change, Black Sea, ES' 461, Breakaway, etc)
1. Chicago Quadio (Blu-Ray)
2. Deep Purple- Machine Head (SQ/Q8/U.K. SACD)
3. Best Of The Doors (CD-4/Q8/Q4/SACD/Blu-Ray)
4. Blue Oyster Cult- Secret Treaties (SQ/Q8/SACD)
5. Derek & The Dominos- Layla (DTS DVD-V)
6. Santana I (SQ/Q8)
7. Paul Simon- There Goes Rhymin' Simon (SQ/Q8)
8. Jackson Browne- Late For The Sky (CD-4/Q8)
9. Edgar Winter Group- They Only Come Out At Night (SQ/Q8)
10. Loggins & Messina- Full Sail (SQ/Q8/SACD)

5 honorable mentions that just miss the cut:
Yes- Close To The Edge (DVD-A/Blu-Ray)
Jeff Beck- Wired (SQ/Q8/SACD)
Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters (SQ/Q8/SACD)
Billy Joel- Piano Man (SQ/Q8)
Eagles- Hotel California (DVD-A)

Last edited:
Wow. Extraordinarily bad list.

Among the other suggestions, I'd nominate Yoshimi, just because it is referenced as pushing the limits of panning sanity and the music is a lot of fun.

Also:
Alan Parsons - Tales
Allman Bros. Band - Idlewild South
Big Big Train - Steel and Stone
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
NIN - Live Beside You in Time
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (2001)
Rush - A Farewell to Kings (2017)
Yes - Fragile (2015)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Quad)
Serge Gainsbourg - Histore de Melody Nelson
King Crimson - Discipline

DSOTM, LOVE, The Nightfly, Gaucho, Black & White Night, Brothers in Arms, Tommy, GYBR, Aqualung, Hell Freezes Over

It's a good list for someone new to surround sound, and specifically avoids being too centric on prog and hard rock. Makes sense to me. They call it "best" because that's what everyone calls it, but given the context I think it's more a way to entice a broad range of people into surround.

Not convinced by that list, not sure how far back it dates but.
DSOTM Guthrie mix no Parsons Quad yes
SW's Raven missing
The excellent but only DTS Roxy set is a must.
Most of the XTC sets
Thrak (JJs best mix so far)and Larks tongues are both better than anything in that list.

Well, I think it is closer than the top 10 on our poll. At least in terms of featuring music that people actually care about.

Well, I think it is closer than the top 10 on our poll. At least in terms of featuring music that people actually care about.

Why do you feel the need to constantly bash the polls?

The current top 10 may not suit YOUR musical tastes, but it's what the membership of this forum cares about.

Why do you feel the need to constantly bash the polls?

The current top 10 may not suit YOUR musical tastes, but it's what the membership of this forum cares about.
Jon asked a question. I answered it. Am I not entitled to an opinion?

I assure you that I only said what I did because I believe it to be true. I'm not trolling anyone. I love this forum and have gotten lots of great info from it.

I should mention too that I had come across that article at about the same time that I started seriously posting here. I sought out a copy of Beck "Sea Change" after reading it. That has since become one of my favorite albums and it isn't even on the front page (top 50?) of our poll. Even though I love the technical aspects of music reproduction and have become quite fond of listening in surround, I am a music first kind of guy.

Back