What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here they are!

Ted Heath's Big Ones
The Floyd - Glad You're Not Here
Waylon
The Jim Croce Experience
The Marina Strings play the Neil Diamond Songbook. <---- This has got to be a rare tape. Far as I can tell, it's the ONLY Quad released by 20th Century Records, though it looks like they considered releasing The Love Unlimited Orchestra at one point. I'd almost have preferred that. This one is OK, it's reminiscent of the early Capitol Samplers. Maybe I was expecting more, but the mix is VERY sterile. (Oh, and the tape features a swapped channel - strings and bass are in both lefts).

I would assume this is recorded on 16-track equipment, but the string section is relegated to (what should be) the two front channels. Bass front center. Drum Kit and electric guitar are in Back Right, Acoustic guitar and a piano acompan....accompani.... also plays in Back Left. The entire mix is devoid of ANY echo of any kind. It's VERY dry.

Attachments

• Quad Tapes 002.JPG
    Quad Tapes 002.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 196
Also, I've found there are two variations of the Jim Croce Greatest Hits. Nothing major, just the markings on the tape slicker match.

The one on the left has the Red Q8's on top and the Quadraphonic "Pill" on the spine. The one on the right has the Quad "pills" on both the top and spine.

Shame that the one with the pills is in not the greatest of shape and Front Left has some distortion through the whole tape. I'm going to guess it's a bad dupe.
The shame comes from the fact that I've been after this label variation for quite some time as it matches the rest of the later ABC tapes. Oh well. The search continues I guess.

Attachments

• Quad Tapes 004.JPG
    Quad Tapes 004.JPG
    729.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Hello, Dolly! Just got this one the other day. Looks like hell, plays fine. Didn't even have to open it up - it played good from the get-go. Some very minor static in the back channels here and there, but I think this is one of the cheapest sales for this Q8. I paid $20.53

dollyq8.jpg

Hi. All
Got a load of Q8 & one Q4 tape yesterday..

( Alshire. Q8 QST-4 -Today`s Hits Jack Dorsey & the ''101 Strings " )-
( Alshire. Q8 QST-9 -The California Popy Pickers )-
( GRT. Q8 C7058-8114 -The Big Band Sound Of Lawrence Welk )-
( GRT. Q8 C7058-8104 -The Exotic Guitars )-
( Project3. Q8 PRQ8-5062 -Super Guitar Tony Mattola )-

( Ovation. Q4 OVT-J11604 -Hollywood Gold Vol. 4 The Quadra Strings )-

The Ovation Q4 Hollywood Gold Vol. 4 I did not know that it existed because I have The Quad LP`s 1-2-3 and I thought there were only 3 Volumes but I was wrong there is a Vol.4 all my looking over the years I have never seen Vol. 4 on LP...

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
5a.jpg
7a.jpg
6a.jpg
IMG_2518.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG

Last edited:
Hi. All

2 Items came today...

( Columbia. Q8 CAQ 31770 -Mac Davis Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me : New Factory Sealed )-
( Ambiphon. Q4 QR 7301 -Natalie Ryshna Plays Debussy )-

View attachment 32745View attachment 32746View attachment 32747View attachment 32748View attachment 32749View attachment 32750
Hope you are able to play this OK. Ambiphon used that new at the time tape stock that was horrible. You may have to bake it, otherwise you may get a small pile of oxide below your deck when you rewind it for playback.

Hope you are able to play this OK. Ambiphon used that new at the time tape stock that was horrible. You may have to bake it, otherwise you may get a small pile of oxide below your deck when you rewind it for playback.

Hi. Philip Spinner
I played the tape and found it to be to dynamic the peaks where hard in the red of the VU meters, it sounded clean there where no sticky syndrome or squelching sounds from the tape but there where some oxide deposit.
There is spliced onto the front of the tape test signals to calibrate the tape deck to and I think if you use these calibration to set up the deck to play there tape, would put your deck out of calibration to play normal quad tape so this is a curiosity tape only because I`m not going to use there calibration to listen to this tape ..

Anyone has ever seen one of these before?

ihp73.jpg

1973, Manufactured by Ampex USA ELk Grove, label Concept 4. Instrumental versions of summer 1973 italian hits, 7 italian 3 english (my love, you're so vain, crocodile rock)
Since i have no recollection of ever seeing or hearing something like that in my decades of hunting quads, and that there's no reference at all in the Mark Anderson discography, i can presume that it has been produced in USA for the Italian market that was introducing quadraphonic carts in 1973. After all, if it was distribuited in the USA too some of you could have some idea about it...

Back