DVD/DTS Poll Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary (Ellioitt Scheiner 5.1 Mix) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Derek and the Dominos - LAYLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
As I love Queen's Greatest Video Hits [2 disc set/DTS 5.1 DISCRETE] wonder why May/Scheiner never tackled the remainder of the wonderful Queen catalogue?

good question! i don't know at all (rumours Scheiner & May didn't exactly see eye to eye) but who knows, could be just hearsay/poppycock!

afaik the intention was to carry on remixing the catalogue beyond The Game, with A Day At The Races next in line for the 5.1 treatment, according to May himself on his own website.

further down the line, some of the NOTW album is said to be missing multi's, so not sure how they'd have got around that, some unwrap/upmix job I guess.

unless the catalogue's revisited for remix, which seems unlikely at this point, I think we should be happy with the MultiCh Queen we've got, which is not bad really when you factor in the 2 x DVD Video collections plus the 2 x DVD-A's, plus Freddie's solo 5.1 DVD is kinda cool too.

Does anyone own both the German Super Deluxe Edition and the Japanese SDE SHM set and can give an HONEST comparison? If so I’d appreciate it greatly😀

$144?! I'd probably do it for that! I usually see it around $250 or so.

There's two currently on Discogs for under $200 but both are from international sellers, so who knows how much the shipping adds. Got mine for around $100 on eBay about two years ago. It's a hefty box with all kinds of useless junk, probably the biggest one I've got- pretty sure it's larger than either Beatles set.

You don't need to look far to find me waxing poetic about the mix. The old SACD will seem like a joke once you hear this. "Bell Bottom Blues" is one of my all-time favorite songs and the mix takes it to a new level. This has to be the best version of the album available, regardless of the loud mastering and lossy encode. I doubt it will ever be re-released, so jump on it if you see it for the right price.

There's two currently on Discogs for under $200 but both are from international sellers, so who knows how much the shipping adds. Got mine for around $100 on eBay about two years ago. It's a hefty box with all kinds of useless junk, probably the biggest one I've got- pretty sure it's larger than either Beatles set.

You don't need to look far to find me waxing poetic about the mix. The old SACD will seem like a joke once you hear this. "Bell Bottom Blues" is one of my all-time favorite songs and the mix takes it to a new level. This has to be the best version of the album available, regardless of the loud mastering and lossy encode. I doubt it will ever be re-released, so jump on it if you see it for the right price.

It is bigger than Sgt. Peppers and the Petty Anthology box...much thicker...and you are spot on about the junk...and since I don't have a turntable the LPs are useless to me..I've thought about selling it as I have it on a drive...but the sheer size of it is a hassle to ship and then there are the LPs...you never know if they are defective or not and the last thing I need is to have some buyer on Ebay to complain about them...I might just put the discs up for sale...minus the LPs and box and junk....as they are becoming very limited and very expensive..

I too love that version of Bell Bottom Blues(y)

An impressively discrete mix for such a sonically rough-edged album... but wow, this is a tiring listen because of the loud mastering. I intended to listen to the whole album in one stretch to finalize my rating, but I could only get around six songs in before having to tap out due to ear/brain fatigue. So... I don’t anticipate ever listening to more than a track or two at time, but I’m sure glad this mix exists. I give it an 8.

Back