SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I got them too. Basically floppy plastic little 45 records. Not hard plastic, but flexible, floppy.....
Flexi disc...

FloppyRom_Magazine.jpg

Floppy disc...

Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg

Why not? What is on them?
“Life’s Greatest Fool”(1974 singles version) and “Train Leaves Here This Morning”(Version 1). Do any of us ever listen to bonus versions and outtakes more than once? Outside of stuff like TWA Escher tracks, the answer for me is generally, “no.”

Heck, I don’t even own a turntable. Plus, for all the enjoyment I might possibly get out of playing them once and perhaps ruining them, the Flexis are more valuable left sealed.

“Life’s Greatest Fool”(1974 singles version) and “Train Leaves Here This Morning”(Version 1). Do any of us ever listen to bonus versions and outtakes more than once? Outside of stuff like TWA Escher tracks, the answer for me is generally, “no.”

Heck, I don’t even own a turntable. Plus, for all the enjoyment I might possibly get out of playing them once and perhaps ruining them, the Flexis are more valuable left sealed.
You won't damage a flexi playing it once if your turntable is properly set up. If it were me I'd digitize it so I had those versions down the road if I wanted them. I've digitized several flexis that had unique material on them. My favorite is a "Bob Magazine" flexi that had a Matthew Sweet demo unavailable elsewhere.

When are some adventurous souls gonna start parting out those redundant MC SACDs?!

having now seen several disappointed purchasers' posts about the integrity of the internal box construction, i'm hoping to find a returned set pop up somewhere for maybe a few quid less than the RRP.. probably in vain but still.. 🤞

Flexi disc...

FloppyRom_Magazine.jpg

Floppy disc...

Floppy_disk_2009_G1.jpg
I've got a whole stack of these from years ago, I believe out of Guitar Player magazine (or other :unsure:) stored somewhere. I think one was Steve Vai, but don't remember the others. If I ever get another (functioning) TT 🙄 I'll see if any are worth working with, but I remember them being very scratchy sounding.

You won't damage a flexi playing it once if your turntable is properly set up. If it were me I'd digitize it so I had those versions down the road if I wanted them. I've digitized several flexis that had unique material on them. My favorite is a "Bob Magazine" flexi that had a Matthew Sweet demo unavailable elsewhere.
My bad:

Flexi 7” One (4AD0203SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
From A Silver Phial (Version 3)
Flexi 7” Two (4AD0204SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
Some Misunderstanding (Version 2)

I don't have a turntable so it's a moot point for me but I agree with what you have to say for people with well set up turntables with good cartridges and healthy styluses.

When are some adventurous souls gonna start parting out those redundant MC SACDs?!
While I don't disagree, there is a niche of audiophiles who have DACs that sound best with DSD files. Some people also just prefer the sound of DSD. This, in my view, mostly matters for people with said preference listening to the stereo layers of the SACDs. I believe, however, that the few DSD-compatible multichannel DACs are DSD/FLAC agnostic.

My bad:

Flexi 7” One (4AD0203SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
From A Silver Phial (Version 3)
Flexi 7” Two (4AD0204SP) (Exclusive to the 4AD Store)
Some Misunderstanding (Version 2)

I don't have a turntable so it's a moot point for me but I agree with what you have to say for people with well set up turntables with good cartridges and healthy styluses.
OK, OK...lmao! I'll rip mine and see what's up. :)

Back