Jethro Tull - "This Was" Steven Wilson 2.0/4.1 Remix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting choice, especially when SW's signature is to put the vocals in the center, but I'll take it! It will probably be one of the least played Tulls for me but still necessary, just hurry up with the Benefit book re-pack and fix my OCD! ;)
SW can still place the vocals in center and have three other channels to place in 4 corners of the sound field. Every track of the four tracks need not be in it's own speaker. It's thinking outside of the (4-cornered) box.

rtbluray.....Your "QQ Online Visage" usually presages an upcoming release, are you hinting at a quad "Greatest Hits of the Raspberries and Eric Carmen" release? hahaha

AFAIK, the only Quadraphonic release featuring Eric Carmen is his first (S/T) album, the one that I have as my current avatar, and it's a great record! :)

SW can still place the vocals in center and have three other channels to place in 4 corners of the sound field. Every track of the four tracks need not be in it's own speaker. It's thinking outside of the (4-cornered) box.

Indeed, I was sort of expecting a heavy stereo mix of the instruments in the fronts with vocals center and a few things chucked in the rears, nothing too dramatic! Just curious as to the choice of 4.0 really, I'm sure the 4 track source has something to do with it, but it could easily be 4.1. Maybe he's gone discrete mad and put each track in its own channel, job done! I guess all will be revealed in due course...

Just curious as to the choice of 4.0 really, I'm sure the 4 track source has something to do with it, but it could easily be 4.1.
I was working on bad information. It will be 4.1, according to the tour programme:
29027418_10156308428336410_6824167330663104512_o.jpg

Mods: could you help me out by changing the "4.0" in the thread title to "4.1?" Thanks!

EDIT: thank you!

Last edited:
Indeed, I was sort of expecting a heavy stereo mix of the instruments in the fronts with vocals center and a few things chucked in the rears, nothing too dramatic! Just curious as to the choice of 4.0 really, I'm sure the 4 track source has something to do with it, but it could easily be 4.1. Maybe he's gone discrete mad and put each track in its own channel, job done! I guess all will be revealed in due course...
What ever arrangement the mix results in, it should sound one generation of tape (hiss) removed from the quality of the original stereo mix. That improvement right there plus the good separation in 4.1 should sound like this album has never sounded.

I'm always amazed at how many very old albums have their multi-tracked tapes in good order still there after all these years. Some are lost but many are there waiting for their fresh new surround mixes. Incredible!

What ever arrangement the mix results in, it should sound one generation of tape (hiss) removed from the quality of the original stereo mix. That improvement right there plus the good separation in 4.1 should sound like this album has never sounded.

I'm always amazed at how many very old albums have their multi-tracked tapes in good order still there after all these years. Some are lost but many are there waiting for their fresh new surround mixes. Incredible!

SW has just been interviewed and mentioned this was a challenge working from four tracks, but it is done, and depressingly it's his last one. Jakko for Stormwatch anyone?

SW has just been interviewed and mentioned this was a challenge working from four tracks, but it is done, and depressingly it's his last one. Jakko for Stormwatch anyone?

...or maybe Bruce Soord or Rob Reed, not sure if he does other folks material though? I was hoping SW would at least do Stormwatch for consistency. The albums after that are a different style and line-up so a change in remixer after Stormwatch would arguably be a more ideal time and maybe less noticeable due to the musical changes...

Here we go! Release date is November 9th! Full track listing below:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GRLPXRW/

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. My Sunday Feeling (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
2. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
3. Beggar's Farm (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
4. Move On Alone (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
5. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
6. Dharma For One (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
7. It's Breaking Me Up (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
8. Cat's Squirrel (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
9. A Song For Jeffrey (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
10. Round (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
11. Love Story (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
12. A Christmas Song (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
13. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Take 1) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix]
14. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Faster Version) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix]
15. Move On Alone (Flute Version) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix]
16. Ultimate Confusion (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)

Disc: 2
1. So Much Trouble (BBC Sessions)
2. My Sunday Feeling (BBC Sessions)
3. Serenade To A Cuckoo (BBC Sessions)
4. Cat's Squirrel (BBC Sessions)
5. A Song For Jeffrey (BBC Sessions)
6. Love Story (BBC Sessions)
7. Stormy Monday (BBC Sessions)
8. Beggar's Farm (BBC Sessions)
9. Dharma For One (BBC Sessions)
10. A Song For Jeffrey (Original Mono Mix)
11. One For John Gee (Original Mono Mix)
12. Someday The Sun Won't Shine For You (Faster Version) [Original Mono Mix]
13. Love Story (Original Mono Mix)
14. A Christmas Song (Original Mono Mix)
15. Sunshine Day
16. Aeroplane
17. Blues For The 18th
18. Love Story (1969 US Promo Single Stereo Mix for FM Radio Airplay)
19. US FM Radio Spot #1
20. US FM Radio Spot #2

Disc: 3
1. My Sunday Feeling (Original Stereo Mix)
2. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Original Stereo Mix)
3. Beggar's Farm (Original Stereo Mix)
4. Move On Alone (Original Stereo Mix)
5. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Original Stereo Mix)
6. Dharma For One (Original Stereo Mix)
7. It's Breaking Me Up (Original Stereo Mix)
8. Cat's Squirrel (Original Stereo Mix)
9. A Song For Jeffrey (Original Mono Mix)
10. Round (Original Stereo Mix)
11. My Sunday Feeling (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
12. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
13. Beggar's Farm (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
14. Move On Alone (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
15. Serenade To A Cuckoo (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
16. Dharma For One (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
17. It's Breaking Me Up (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
18. Cat's Squirrel (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
19. A Song For Jeffrey (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)
20. Round (2008 Remastered Version - Mono)

Disc: 4 (DVD)
1. My Sunday Feeling (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
2. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
3. Beggar's Farm (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
4. Move On Alone (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
5. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
6. Dharma For One (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
7. It's Breaking Me Up (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
8. Cat's Squirrel (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
9. A Song For Jeffrey (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
10. Round (Steven Wilson 4.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
11. Love Story (Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
12. A Christmas Song (Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
13. My Sunday Feeling (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
14. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
15. Beggar's Farm (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
16. Move On Alone (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
17. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
18. Dharma For One (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
19. It's Breaking Me Up (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
20. Cat's Squirrel (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
21. A Song For Jeffrey (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
22. Round (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
23. Love Story (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
24. A Christmas Song (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
25. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Take 1) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24]
26. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Faster Version) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24]
27. Move On Alone (Flute Version) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24]
28. Ultimate Confusion (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix 96/24)
29. My Sunday Feeling (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
30. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
31. Beggar's Farm (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
32. Move On Alone (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
33. Serenade To A Cuckoo (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
34. Dharma For One (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
35. It's Breaking Me Up (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
36. Cat's Squirrel (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
37. A Song For Jeffrey (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)
38. Round (Original 1969 US stereo mix 96/24)

Back