Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. My first Styx album was Equinox, the albums would sound good in surround as there is a lot going on.

I searched STYX facebook page and found this....I sure hope it's going forward with a physical disc of some sort. I prefer (obviously) a 5.1 of the studio album, not a concert.

View attachment 32073

This is a paragraph from a Blog in 2017...

My only really major disappointment is I have not been able to hear the 5.1 surround mix that was completed. I think it is a huge missed opportunity not to release it as the same time as the regular album or as part of a deluxe package which had the CD (or LP) and that. It is supposedly being released later this year later on Blu-ray (and maybe DVD). I hope it is not shelved.

Link to full article....not much to read honestly...the above got my attention though...

I keep hoping that The Mission will show up in 5.1......I did stumble across this website, ironically seems to be an outfit that helped create some of the visuals on the album, etc. Notice they even mention the 5.1! :SB

https://www.meatoes.com/projects/music/styx-the-mission

M+P was asked to design the first studio album of all new material in 14 years by STYX. This wasn't our first encounter with the band, but it was the most involved, challenging, and professionally rewarding. The Mission is a concept album: an adventurous 43-minute thrill ride that chronicles the trials, tribulations, and ultimate triumphs of the first manned mission to Mars in the year 2033. The result was a moody, yet modern, nod to their album art of the 70's. All of the illustrated artwork in this package was created with the help of select imagery from NASA – supporters of the band. There are even a few small hidden codes and details throughout the packaging. The coin on the cover was inspired by the "Challenge" coins issued for every NASA mission...and what an adventurous mission this was!

The video was created as an 8 second intro for online and bonus content. In addition, M+P creative directed 45 trippy minutes of music visuals available on the 5.1 surround version.

Never thought I'd be looking forward to the new Styx album in 2018.

But after reading Tommy Shaw's quote re the upcoming 5.1, I plopped myself right down in front of Google Play and listened to the entire album.

It's nice to know that, after the many beatings I've given aging rockers like Bowie and Lynne for crapping out feeble product long past their expire date, it *is* possible to produce a long-post-peak album that ain't shit.

The Mission is one.

Tommy can still sing -- and well.
The band can still play -- and does.
The songs? Maybe I'm not hearing any classics on first listen, but that was always the case, even with ones that later became favorites. Overall, on first listen they're not bad at all.

The main thing is this: they don't sound like a tired bunch of old guys phoning it in.
Not at all.
Not even a little bit.

And that, to me, is pretty damned interesting.
Inspiring, even.

Never thought I'd be looking forward to the new Styx album in 2018.

But after reading Tommy Shaw's quote re the upcoming 5.1, I plopped myself right down in front of Google Play and listened to the entire album.

It's nice to know that, after the many beatings I've given aging rockers like Bowie and Lynne for crapping out feeble product long past their expire date, it *is* possible to produce a long-post-peak album that ain't shit.

The Mission is one.

Tommy can still sing -- and well.
The band can still play -- and does.
The songs? Maybe I'm not hearing any classics on first listen, but that was always the case, even with ones that later became favorites. Overall, on first listen they're not bad at all.

The main thing is this: they don't sound like a tired bunch of old guys phoning it in.
Not at all.
Not even a little bit.

And that, to me, is pretty damned interesting.
Inspiring, even.

I have to agree with you, despite being in the "No Dennis - No Styx" camp.

Back