Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First in the Player - Ayreon - Universe 5.1 Blu-ray DTS-HD Master

Picture below is this mornings post delivery, the Ayreon (signed) I already mentioned,
Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won Blu-ray
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere Blu-ray
Marillion - Brave signed picture not sent with the Deluxe Edition.
Kino - Radio Voltaire (signed) not a surround.
Gonna be a busy listening day

edit: 2x Pete Trewavas sigs! Marillion & Kino.
LStHvtL.jpg

Last edited:
Today I shipped a spare Denon surround receiver to a friend that I've been yakking about surround for a long time but he never got off the starting block. Now he got so excited at the prospect of hearing MARILLION - Brave (and other titles) that we literally set him up today with a few minutes on the phone (many technical texts to prep this week). So in honor of this activity, I put it on just before dinner. This is pretty great and I now have some catching up to as I'd really stopped paying attention to them some years ago.

NOW: Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses DTS 5.1 (odd I never had this album back in the day) great so far...

Last edited:
NOW: Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses DTS 5.1 (odd I never had this album back in the day) great so far...

I bought it when it came out having loved SftW. But back then, as an impatient youngster I didn't give HH the attention it deserved - I dismissed it as the outtakes and leftovers from SftW. Maybe some of the material came together in same period and if so in (my) hindsight Ian et al did a good job separating which songs fit onto each record but I didn't see it then. HH is a bit darker - SftW a bright "friendly" record....of course we know which takes a bit more effort from the listener. Now, I adore both, and choose which to play with the mood of the day.

The NCAA basketball tournament provide a tremendous opportunity for multi-channel listening...

Queen: Greatest Video Hits I (DTS 5.1) [audio only]

There is also the Queen: Greatest Video Hits I & II available in the standard DVD case. However, (1) all the best songs are on Video Hits 1 and (2) Video Hits I in the super jewel box is the sexier choice.

R-4669860-1439849656-5360.jpeg.jpg

South America, the new DSD 256 Surround Sound recording by Antonio Lysy and Alberto Lysy from Yarlung Artists.
Another excellent recording from Yarlung. Recommended!

South America - DSD.jpg

NativeDSD is very excited to bring you South America, the third DSD release from cellist Antonio Lysy and the newest album from Yarlung Artists. It celebrates the sundrenched and often intoxicating music from this continent and pays homage to Astor Piazzola, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Carlos Gardel, Antonio’s father violinist Alberto Lysy, and new work by the Argentine bandoneon master Coco Trivisonno. This is an excellent recording and one that we think should be in your DSD collection.

South America is a new DSD 256 Stereo and DSD 256 Surround Sound recording made available to our listeners in the recorded DSD 256 bit rate as well as DSD 128 and DSD 64 Stereo and Surround Sound. It is available in DSD Exclusively from Native DSD Music and is not available on SACD. The album was recorded by Bob Attiyeh and Arian Jansen using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 Converter and was mastered in DSD Stereo and Surround Sound by Tom Caulfield at the NativeDSD Mastering Lab.

Producer and Recording Engineer Bob Attiyeh tells us more about the album on today's edition of the NativeDSD Blog. He says "After Antonio Lysy won Yarlung’s first Grammy Award for Music from Argentina and Te Amo, Argentina (both available on NativeDSD) we have looked forward to collaborating again, especially to include a Swiss recording of the Kodaly Duo with Antonio’s father the eminent Argentine violinist Alberto Lysy.

Kudos and thanks to Claude Cellier at Merging Technologies, our executive producer who made this DSD release possible. Legend has it Claude dances tangos in the middle of the night when he’s creating new designs for Merging Technologies equipment. Go, Claude!

Our new album, South America, includes this famous duo. It celebrates South American composers and music on several fronts. We commissioned Coco Trivisonno, one of the last living members of Piazzolla’s ensemble, to arrange Carlos Gardel songs for bandoneon and cello. Marcia Dickstein Vogler joins us on harp, and Anastasia Petanova plays flute.

I love this album. With tango milongas taking place all over the world, the timing of South America seems fortunate. Luxuriate also in the Casals and Bach/Villa Lobos cello choirs performed all by Antonio Lysy himself in the glorious acoustics of Cammilleri Hall at The USC Brain and Creativity Institute."

http://blog.nativedsd.com/producers-note-south-america-by-antonio-lysy/
https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/YAR80167DSD-south-america

Klaus Schulze Picture Music. Record on the German Brain label
I am listening to this decoded in SQ. I read somewhere it is a hidden SQ recording.
Sure sounds like discrete synthesizer sounds and bass sounds are in the rear channels and at times move around. Wonder if the cd does the same.

Mucking about last nite, so I thought I'd do some meddling about as well.

Pink Floyd -Meddle (DVDA fr the easter egg )

View attachment 31086[/QUOTE When was there a DVDA of released? I had heard that there is an Easter Egg of Meddle to be found on the Early Years Box set which I own, but what disc is it on and where do I find the Easter Egg

When was there a DVDA of released? I had heard that there is an Easter Egg of Meddle to be found on the Early Years Box set which I own, but what disc is it on and where do I find the Easter Egg

No DVD-A release...I assume fizzywiggs made his own using the audio ripped from the "1971 Reverber/ation" Blu-ray disc in the Early Years box.

Use MakeMKV to decrypt the disc and then either audiomuxer (free) or DVD-Audio Extractor ($35) to pull the 5.1 stream out.

Back