OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my 205 last week. I'm loving it, so far!
The 205 is the best sounding & designed player Oppo has made to date, imo.
I've listened to Oppos since the 83 and the 205 is far better than my 105.
I have 2 205's and a 203 in Da House.
I have big plans for them once my Neverending Reno ends on Memorial Day.

I can confirm this as true. When I heard the news that they were stopping production I tried to order a udp-205 from their website only to find they were sold out. I sent them an email wishing them well, and asking to be put on a waiting list if they found more to sell. About 2 days later they sent me an email saying I was on a waiting list. Then yesterday they called saying they have a few more udp-205’s for sale. I ordered one and it will be here next Tuesday.
I got my 205 today, will unbox and set up tomorrow. Best of luck to all others wanting one that oppo produces another shipment for you.

Has anyone compared the analogue out between the 105 and the 203?

I had a 105 and used it as a pre-amp direct to an Emotiva seven channel amp. I'm not great at describing my musical experiences, but I would describe the sound as detailed and neutral. I have Def. Tech. speakers which I would also describe as neutral or even a bit forward. The overall experience while very detailed, also felt a bit clinical.

I've found that I prefer using my new AVR and Oppo 203 (via HDMI) with the latest Audyssey room correction and other listening features that an AVR can provide over the Oppo. I guess you could say I prefer the way the AVR colors the sound.

If I were only doing two channel I would stick with the 105.

Finally.jpeg

Well, my patience paid off !
I was able to get a fair deal at a local Magnolia on this demo.
It is pristine !

I will set it up this week. Christmas in April. LOL

Oppo supports gapless playback of USB attached files. If you attempt to create a playlist from the attached files, they will not play back gaplessly. For example: Songs 1, 2, and 3 all play back without gaps. Playlist 1, 3, 2 plays back with gaps. I like to pick and choose among folders (albums) for specific songs to play. If I create a playlist, Oppo inserts gaps. The work around is to create the playlist on the PC, copy to thumb drive, and plug into Oppo. Then the selected files (songs) play gaplessly. Not a big deal, but I wish Oppo would do that from within the loaded files.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I have both a 103 and a 203 with latest firmwear. I have a classical DSD download with two tracks that the music continues from the first track to the second. When I play it back, there is a gap between the two. I downloaded it to the PC and copied it to a USB stick. When I play it back, I select the first file in that directory, and all the files in that directory play. I have NEVER created a play list. But there is a jarring gap. I even wrote to Oppo, and they told me there is no gapless playback for any DSD files.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I have both a 103 and a 203 with latest firmwear. I have a classical DSD download with two tracks that the music continues from the first track to the second. When I play it back, there is a gap between the two. I downloaded it to the PC and copied it to a USB stick. When I play it back, I select the first file in that directory, and all the files in that directory play. I have NEVER created a play list. But there is a jarring gap. I even wrote to Oppo, and they told me there is no gapless playback for any DSD files.

True. The workaround is to create single-album files with optional associated cue sheets. And while I haven't tested this in an organized way, I'm getting the impression that it works better with DSF files than DFF files, though that shouldn't make a difference.

In general, I'm finding that Oppo's streaming is solid once it starts, but sometimes it can be difficult to get it going. It's not uncommon for me to have it play an album flawlessly, then refuse to play another until I power cycle it.

My post was about FLAC files although there's nothing stating that in what I wrote. I convert everything to FLAC and play it through the Oppo. Thanks for letting us know there's an issue with Oppo playing DSD files gaplessly. One more good reason to convert them to FLAC I suppose.

My post was about FLAC files although there's nothing stating that in what I wrote. I convert everything to FLAC and play it through the Oppo. Thanks for letting us know there's an issue with Oppo playing DSD files gaplessly. One more good reason to convert them to FLAC I suppose.

Is it just me? Does it not defeat the purpose of SACD and DSD playback by converting DSD files to flac? Converting to flac means that you are playing files as PCM.

Is it just me? Does it not defeat the purpose of SACD and DSD playback by converting DSD files to flac? Converting to flac means that you are playing files as PCM.
Purists might think so, but as long as you have a good conversion I don't think it matters much (and that is all I am going to say on this subject.)

No, I don't believe its just you. Others like DSD and SACD playback too. It doesn't defeat the purpose by converting because you still end up with a digital copy of the music. It sounds like a DVDA or Blu-ray disc instead of an SACD is all. And as we discovered recently, FLAC allows the gapless playback of files in an Oppo player that DSD doesn't afford.

A majority of this material started out as PCM in the first place ;) Also I've yet to see any reliable study showing that people can identify, let alone prefer, DSD to PCM. I do keep dts files (rather than converting them to flac) because it's silly and wasteful of disk space to convert from lossy to lossless compression.

I've tried several times to discern a difference in sound quality between DSD and conversions of DSD to 24/88.2 FLAC using real time A/B comparisons that were level matched as closely as my ears would allow. I could never identify a difference. I have also tried it with the one piece of source material where I have both SACD and DVDA copies (Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms). I can't tell them apart.

This is in contrast to the same kind of comparisons I have made between Vinyl-24/96 and MLP-DTS, where I sometimes thought I could hear tiny, tiny differences, and even then, I would have to say if I weren't A-B ing in real time, I never would have detected even that.

So, I have no hesitation in converting DSD to FLAC. However, I also hold onto the SACD ISO as well, just in case I ever switch to a media player that can play ISO files directly.

A majority of this material started out as PCM in the first place ;) Also I've yet to see any reliable study showing that people can identify, let alone prefer, DSD to PCM. I do keep dts files (rather than converting them to flac) because it's silly and wasteful of disk space to convert from lossy to lossless compression.

Most people don't convert DTS to FLAC, what they do is wrap the DTS file in a FLAC container so they can tag it like all their other files. Big difference...

All you guys who are upgrading.... I'm looking for a gently used 103 for the ability to rip SACD disks. If you are interested in selling your 103, send me a PM with details. If the price is right and the deal sounds good, maybe it will happen.
What price are you hoping for or expecting plus shipping?

What price are you hoping for or expecting plus shipping?

Actually I settled for a new Pioneer BDP-80FD, which has the same SACD ripping capability. I paid $230 for it, and it has worked with no issue. Others on here have paid as little as $25 for a used Pioneer 80FD. You can also get refurbished units for well under $200.

The used 103's I was looking at were typically going for a minimum of $380-$400, not including shipping. For a unit that had minimal wear and included all its original packing and accessories, the unshipped price was closer to $450-$470. The Darby versions go for a bit more.

Unfortunately I'm a pretty cheap guy and my shipped price point for a used OPPO 103 was around $275-$300. I never found a used 103 for anywhere near that price.

I bought a BDP-103 two days ago on Canuck Audio Mart for CDN$332, including insured shipping; in original box/packing, with all accessories.
It should be here this afternoon. That totals out to about US$260. I paid CDN$425 (US$330) for my BDP-103D a few months ago, locally on kijiji.
There are deals out there, at least here in Canada. My BDP-83 is up on kijiji. :)

Last edited:
I bought a BDP-103 two days ago on Canuck Audio Mart for CDN$332, including insured shipping; in original box/packing, with all accessories.
It should be here this afternoon. That totals out to about US$260. I paid CDN$425 (US$330) for my BDP-103D a few months ago, locally on kijiji.
There are deals out there, at least here in Canada. My BDP-83 is up on kijiji. :)

That's an excellent deal on your 103's. I did check the Audio Marts a few times with no luck. In the rare instance I did find a cheap 103, it invariably had no remote, or was being sold by a pawn shop or storage shed liquidator (I never buy components from sources like those). I even asked around on this site several times with no luck.

I also have a BDP-83 SE. I'm not sure ill ever sell it as long as it is functioning. Unlike the newer OPPOs, it plays burned SACD-Rs and DVDAs.

Back