HiRez Poll Vieira, Mike - DISTURBING THE UNIVERSE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Mike Vieira - DISTURBING THE UNIVERSE

• Total voters
The surround disc was great, I loved it! I am not going to go into detail like others, unless you request it. I had pros and cons, like with every album I have ever heard. Overall, this was a 9 for me. Great work all around. As much as we typically pay for a surround disc, what you have is a wonderful bargain that everyone here should have. Buy it!

I finally got around to donating some money to Mike after he just sent me a copy. No strings attached. How is that for business?!?! Unfortunately, my life is crazy hectic and overwhelming at times. Then I just forgot. For some reason yesterday, I thought about it and donated. I hope it helps support future work, your charity, some cold beer....whatever makes you happy. I want to thank you again, and apologize again for the delay.

Keep making music. It looks like quite a few of us here appreciate it and are more than happy to support it. Not that it will help, but I have told others, the few people that I know that have surround set ups, and bragged to people that I chat with the guy that made it! Yeah, I might have played that card...anyway, if there is something I can do to help, be it just talking about it, giving feedback, kissing your ass or kicking your ass (sometimes I need both), or just fetching you coffee, let me know. Good luck with your new child, and congratulations on that!

The surround disc was great, I loved it! I am not going to go into detail like others, unless you request it. I had pros and cons, like with every album I have ever heard. Overall, this was a 9 for me. Great work all around. As much as we typically pay for a surround disc, what you have is a wonderful bargain that everyone here should have. Buy it!

I finally got around to donating some money to Mike after he just sent me a copy. No strings attached. How is that for business?!?! Unfortunately, my life is crazy hectic and overwhelming at times. Then I just forgot. For some reason yesterday, I thought about it and donated. I hope it helps support future work, your charity, some cold beer....whatever makes you happy. I want to thank you again, and apologize again for the delay.

Keep making music. It looks like quite a few of us here appreciate it and are more than happy to support it. Not that it will help, but I have told others, the few people that I know that have surround set ups, and bragged to people that I chat with the guy that made it! Yeah, I might have played that card...anyway, if there is something I can do to help, be it just talking about it, giving feedback, kissing your ass or kicking your ass (sometimes I need both), or just fetching you coffee, let me know. Good luck with your new child, and congratulations on that!

Thank you, weekendtoy and blrac. Your words of encouragement and listening mean a lot to me. In some ways, where I'm at and what I've already been through in the last few months, it feels like a different person, from a different world, in a different lifetime, wrote that music and put together the surround disc. What a crazy adventure that was. And not at all likely to succeed.

It is such a cool surprise, every once in a while, to get notified that somebody has posted about the album or picked up a copy.

One thing I'd like to note, just because I don't think I've seen anybody review or mention it (I could be wrong) - don't forget about the extra content on the disc! I think the essay and credits are worth reading (your username might be there and there are two quad bonus instrumental songs "hidden" in those menus). Plus, there is some live material at the end of the 2.0 track lists. I just don't want anybody interested to miss that stuff!

Thanks again, everybody.

Chief Baggins out.

Thank you, weekendtoy and blrac. Your words of encouragement and listening mean a lot to me. In some ways, where I'm at and what I've already been through in the last few months, it feels like a different person, from a different world, in a different lifetime, wrote that music and put together the surround disc. What a crazy adventure that was. And not at all likely to succeed.

It is such a cool surprise, every once in a while, to get notified that somebody has posted about the album or picked up a copy.

One thing I'd like to note, just because I don't think I've seen anybody review or mention it (I could be wrong) - don't forget about the extra content on the disc! I think the essay and credits are worth reading (your username might be there and there are two quad bonus instrumental songs "hidden" in those menus). Plus, there is some live material at the end of the 2.0 track lists. I just don't want anybody interested to miss that stuff!

Thanks again, everybody.

Chief Baggins out.

Mike - thanks for commenting on extra material, etc. I’m very guilty of ripping and never “watching “ I’ll be sure to watch and listen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also anybody want the Quad R2R version it's available in my ebay store.

Yes, I don't mean to neglect mention of the download version at surroundmusic.one and the reel to reel tape version at Mike's store.
Jan and Mike were both very gracious in helping to get the album off the ground! And I think they both provide a very valuable service to this community. :QQlove

QQ family, I am happy to report that Disturbing the Universe has now made back manufacturing costs and the first donation to charity has been made. $100 to Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières). That might not be much, but it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness, as they say. I'm happy to keep donating more! Thanks for your support of the album.

I voted a solid 9 a while back. I agree with all the previous positive comments about this release. For a first fine effort it can only stand you in good stead for a successful future. I like the use of various media outlets to 'get you out there' and hopefully it will lead on to contacts with those who have your interests at heart.
Do you have any plans for more of the same, or with a different twist maybe?
As a matter of interest, where did your surround sound mixing ideas start from?

I voted a solid 9 a while back. I agree with all the previous positive comments about this release. For a first fine effort it can only stand you in good stead for a successful future. I like the use of various media outlets to 'get you out there' and hopefully it will lead on to contacts with those who have your interests at heart.
Do you have any plans for more of the same, or with a different twist maybe?
As a matter of interest, where did your surround sound mixing ideas start from?
beerking, thanks for your comments and questions. I think these paragraphs from the "Underdog Story" thread might explain a lot:

"So, what is this album and why should you care? This album consists of multitracks from an unknown musical artist and QQ member, namely, me. Having grown, over the years, to love and obsess on multichannel recordings, it dawned on me, one day, that I was sitting on some multichannel band recordings of my own and that, maybe, it would be cool if they were mixed in surround! I put out some feelers, seeking help in bringing these recordings to life in multichannel.

Test mixes were done with several engineers, until, ultimately, an unknown mixing engineer, going by ji eff (now cristale), reached out to me, offering to mix the album. Within one or two mixes I was convinced that lightning was waiting to strike. ji eff not only offered a critical ear, rejecting tracks that would sound bad in hi-res surround, but also cleaned-up existing tracks, so they would work, and even supplied original arrangements."

Other than that, I can tell you that Fear of a Blank Planet and The Raven that Refused to Sing were used frequently as sound and mix references.
No solid plans for anything further, but I am setting up a studio and jam space at my house (my family is, with my input), with a view toward making recordings easier and more spontaneous. Plus, YouTube video production. I'm sure something cool will come of all that. I've been talking to some long-time musical allies and we have some ideas to flesh out. My chiefest hope is to help a brilliant friend of mine finally release some of his metal/industrial music. It's better than a lot of successful bands.

We shall see!

beerking, thanks for your comments and questions. I think these paragraphs from the "Underdog Story" thread might explain a lot:

"So, what is this album and why should you care? This album consists of multitracks from an unknown musical artist and QQ member, namely, me. Having grown, over the years, to love and obsess on multichannel recordings, it dawned on me, one day, that I was sitting on some multichannel band recordings of my own and that, maybe, it would be cool if they were mixed in surround! I put out some feelers, seeking help in bringing these recordings to life in multichannel.

Test mixes were done with several engineers, until, ultimately, an unknown mixing engineer, going by ji eff (now cristale), reached out to me, offering to mix the album. Within one or two mixes I was convinced that lightning was waiting to strike. ji eff not only offered a critical ear, rejecting tracks that would sound bad in hi-res surround, but also cleaned-up existing tracks, so they would work, and even supplied original arrangements."

Other than that, I can tell you that Fear of a Blank Planet and The Raven that Refused to Sing were used frequently as sound and mix references.
No solid plans for anything further, but I am setting up a studio and jam space at my house (my family is, with my input), with a view toward making recordings easier and more spontaneous. Plus, YouTube video production. I'm sure something cool will come of all that. I've been talking to some long-time musical allies and we have some ideas to flesh out. My chiefest hope is to help a brilliant friend of mine finally release some of his metal/industrial music. It's better than a lot of successful bands.

We shall see!

October will soon be here and thankfully you'll be stateside comfortably integrating your life with your first love and passion......music. And now that you have such brilliant albums and mixes as guidelines with the prospect of remixing all your newer material with surround first and foremost in mind [versus as an afterthought] things will be happening.

Would love to hear your friend's metal/industrial music in surround but I hope that doesn't deter you from creating your own music.

And great you have your wife's full support which is mighty important, as well.

Two more months, Mike and Afghanistan will be a distant memory. You've served your time and now it's time to create. With the ever changing world we live in Disturbing the Universe was an apt title and can't wait to hear what your next musical venture will be.

...Very nice indeed. I sense some Peter Gabriel influences...:):SG
Peter Gabriel's music definitely resonates with me and is in my DNA, at this point. I take that comparison as a huge compliment. I've heard that mostly regarding Dancing Skeletons and Skeleton Dance.
Anyway, thank you for your feedback, for helping me support a favorite charity and for listening! :QQlove

Peter Gabriel's music definitely resonates with me and is in my DNA, at this point. I take that comparison as a huge compliment. I've heard that mostly regarding Dancing Skeletons and Skeleton Dance.
Anyway, thank you for your feedback, for helping me support a favorite charity and for listening! :QQlove

And in the end Mike....you didn't so much DISTURB our Universe......conversely, you ENRICHED IT!:SB

Just finished my first listen and really enjoyed it. There's a lot to digest here (and I like that about it) so I will hold off until I've had a few more listens before I make any observations. One thing I will say though is that I played it right after listening the latest from The Pineapple Thief. It didn't feel like I had followed listening to a professional product by listening to something amateur. This is beautifully done, both the music and the mix. Nicely done, Mike!

What a professional release, and an enjoyable one at that! Mike mentions on the onscreen liners that he was going for a wide variety of styles, using Queen's A Night At The Opera as a sort of inspiration/template, and I think he's really succeeded in that regard: there's something for everyone on this disc. I need to spend more time with it, but so far "Skeletons Under Cover" and "Break You" are standout tracks for me.

The 5.1 mix is definitely Steven Wilson-inspired. This isn't one of those mixes where the center just sort of "fills in" between the fronts: the center channel is an integral part of the presentation, featuring lead vocals, some isolated drum parts, and guitar solos. The rears feature backing vocals, keys, and some percussion. The mix on the track "Illusions" reminds me very much of The Eagles' "Seven Bridges Road" with the different harmonies emanating from each corner.

There's even some great motion effects, like different vocal refrains moving around on the title track and "Break You", as well as the keys circling the room in the beginning of "Skeletons Under Cover". 👍👍👍

Interestingly, the alternate "Break You" has the guitar solo isolated in the rears while the main version has it in the center channel. I might like it better in the rears.

I'm between an 8 or a 9, not sure which way to go quite yet. Don't hesitate to check this out!

"Break You":

"Skeletons Under Cover":

What a professional release, and an enjoyable one at that! Mike mentions on the onscreen liners that he was going for a wide variety of styles, using Queen's A Night At The Opera as a sort of inspiration, and I think he's really succeeded at that: there's something for everyone on this disc. I need to spend more time with it, but so far "Skeletons Under Cover" and "Break You" are standout tracks for me.

The 5.1 mix is definitely Steven Wilson-inspired. This isn't one of those mixes where the center just sort of "fills in" between the fronts: the center channel is an integral part of the presentation, featuring lead vocals, some isolated drum parts, and guitar solos. The rears feature backing vocals, keys, and some percussion. The mix on the track "Illusions" reminds me very much of The Eagles' "Seven Bridges Road" with the different harmonies emanating from each corner.

There's even some great motion effects, like different vocal refrains moving around on the title track and "Break You", as well as the keys circling the room in the beginning of "Skeletons Under Cover". 👍👍👍

I'm between an 8 or a 9, not sure which way to go quite yet.

Don't hesitate to check this out!

Jonathan, this kid from Cali earned a 9 from me. A solid album, IMO. Gets better with repeated listens!

Last edited:
Holy Shamoly! Was searching for Mike Keneally's Sluggo! and saw that DtU is rating over 9! 9.05 as of today.
Wow! That's a truly wonderful surprise.

And well deserved too Mike. To produce a first album that meets, no exceeds at lot of the surround contemporary efforts, is quite outstanding.

'My chiefest hope is to help a brilliant friend of mine finally release some of his metal/industrial music. It's better than a lot of successful bands.'
How is this project coming along?

No pressure, have you ever considered producing another one!!? Especially as you have already hit the nail on the head!! You know you have a ready market eager to add to their collection..should you decide to give us some more treats.🥳:rocks

Last edited:
Back