Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's not to get? The Alan Parsons mix of DSOTM and the Andy Jackson mix of Division Bell are much more discrete than anything James Guthrie has ever mixed. Of course you are free to like whatever you want, but if you don't understand why many people here would prefer a different audio engineer, the answer is very simple. Discrete and tasteful is how I would describe a quality mix.

I enjoy Amused To Death which was mixed by JG but only because there are so many non-musical elements. He doesn't get nearly as discrete with the musical parts. You may like that fact but many others don't. Steven Wilson has found the perfect balance to keep nearly everyone happy. JG has not up to this point.

Agree about Steven Wilson, but I actually feel that James Guthrie's mixes are at least somewhat similar to his. I'm listening to the Dark Side quad right now and like I said, there are certain aspects about this mix that I really like. It is really discrete with lots of interesting effects too, but the JG mix is much more full and hi-fi to me, and the bass is much more balanced, full, and detailed, and while it's not as wildly discrete as the AP mix, I don't find it to just be big stereo at all.There are plenty of discrete elements throughout the album, and it just seems much more cohesive overall to me. I am really enjoying my listen through of the quad right now. Haven't checked out this version in a while. I think I'll put on Brian Humphries quad mix of Wish You Were Here next. :)

my point exactly...RW puts on a great show but his neuroses and controlling nature really put me off his solo stuff..even late PF (can't stand the Wall nor TFC)!!!

I've avoided his solo stuff (though I did just get AtD on blu- mainly b/c I felt it might have something to say about the all the net issues coming to light). But tbh I think it was more out of resentment over his- as I see it- terrible mismanagement of the band leading to the dissolution of the band- not unrelated to his control issues, obviously. What I've read of how he treated the gentle, critical (imo) piece of the PF sound, other RW during the Wall sessions is criminal.

I like the Wall, but feel it's pretty over-rated. Animals destroys it. Never even got TFC- nor TDB until AJ did his magic mix.

All artists are subject to vanity and controlling; you need some of the 1st even to put your creations in front of people and some of the second to have your visions realized. Obviously some succumb to excess, while others navigate those stormy waters with some grace and perspective. We know which camp Roger's in.

But it's funny how we give some artists more leeway than others. And we all draw the line of what we'll tolerate from an artist in different places.

But you obviously are a man of exquisite taste and perception! (Meaning we seem to see this issue very similarly) ;)

Last edited:
Agree about Steven Wilson, but I actually feel that James Guthrie's mixes are at least somewhat similar to his. I'm listening to the Dark Side quad right now and like I said, there are certain aspects about this mix that I really like. It is really discrete with lots of interesting effects too, but the JG mix is much more full and hi-fi to me, and the bass is much more balanced, full, and detailed, and while it's not as wildly discrete as the AP mix, I don't find it to just be big stereo at all.There are plenty of discrete elements throughout the album, and it just seems much more cohesive overall to me. I am really enjoying my listen through of the quad right now. Haven't checked out this version in a while. I think I'll put on Brian Humphries quad mix of Wish You Were Here next. :)

Get outta my head! Your view and mine are totally congruous. AP has the better surround mix, but JG has better SQ- w/ the better bass being the main, but not only plus.

I am probably biased b/c I loved the sacd for years before ever hearing the quad. But I did love it- and later WYWH's sacd. Very satisfying mixes for me, even if I could wish for a little more adventure. It's great to have both, but I think the quad and 5.1 of DSotM both have their strengths and weaknesses, and they balance out such that I don't see a clear winner. Which just makes it that much better to have both!

Last edited:

My ears think James Guthrie mixes sound nothing like Steven Wilson mixes. We can only agree to disagree...

I don't see why an impending release of Animals has anything to do with a future release of The Wall. The Waters tour and movie have kept The Wall in the public eye for the last few years. If I was PF management, I wouldn't release a new version of The Wall at this time either. I'd think the public is already pretty saturated with it and I'd be waiting for a better time to roll it out.

Apparently, the time is right for an Animals release.

And when did anyone connected with the band ever used the word "deplorable" when describing The Wall multi-tracks? I thought I read there were some problems with some of them... but no more than that. For all we know, the whole Wall remix is already complete and waiting for the band to decide its the right time to release it, Just like is being done now with Animals.
A very good friend of mine is good friends with Guthrie. I can’t report this with 100% accuracy as it comes 2nd hand, but he told me there are some serious issues with The Wall multi tracks and this has been the reason for the delay. Which may never be resolved

A very good friend of mine is good friends with Guthrie. I can’t report this with 100% accuracy as it comes 2nd hand, but he told me there are some serious issues with The Wall multi tracks and this has been the reason for the delay. Which may never be resolved
If the issues are just with a few songs they could use Penteo to up,ix those and do a real surround mix with the rest?

If the issues are just with a few songs they could use Penteo to up,ix those and do a real surround mix with the rest?
If only... Don't think Guthrie is hip to Penteo. Pretty sure he does all his surround mixing in DSD using the Sonoma system. I doubt he nor the Pink Floyd team would cotton to an incomplete or partially upmixed release.

If was the Comfortably Numb multis I'd be gutted, if it was one of the odd ranty ones I wouldn't care, its an album I find I go back and play selected tracks of. Though the ranty ones might work better in surround. Either way it would be nice to get the whole album. But its Animals I'm way more interested in.

If only... Don't think Guthrie is hip to Penteo. Pretty sure he does all his surround mixing in DSD using the Sonoma system. I doubt he nor the Pink Floyd team would cotton to an incomplete or partially upmixed release.
On the various releases where Steven Wilson has used Penteo I cannot pick the Penteo songs on average listen. I wouldnt mind if JG would use it here and there. But first Animals ?

On the various releases where Steven Wilson has used Penteo I cannot pick the Penteo songs on average listen.

It depends on the album. The Penteo tracks blend pretty well with the discrete mixes on the King Crimson & Gentle Giant remixes, but the difference is as clear as day on "Songs from the Big Chair" and especially on "Warrior on the Edge of Time".
I think I would be able to hear the difference on an album like "The Wall", which is so sonically brilliant with nuance and detail at every turn.

But anyway, I'm really excited for "Animals"!

:)

If was the Comfortably Numb multis I'd be gutted, if it was one of the odd ranty ones I wouldn't care, its an album I find I go back and play selected tracks of. Though the ranty ones might work better in surround. Either way it would be nice to get the whole album. But its Animals I'm way more interested in.

I'd agree with that. There are a few tracks that I really like, but most of the album is theater. It would be interesting in surround, but musically The Wall just never appealed to me like the other PF albums.

Gilmour's guitar work is what makes Animals so good, IMO.

Ya that's it! That is the show. Pretty sure it was a Sunday night-late, and I was pretty taken because the band was so "forward" remember, this is when music like Led Zep only got airplay after 12 midnight. Hard rock was "underground" music then!
When you got beat up for having long hair!! This is why I was so taken by the fact it was on TV to start with.

Ideally, 3-4 CDs w/ some bonus tracks along w/ a nice full concert soundboard (of which many have been confirmed, according to folks over at SHF; no multis, just straight board).

As long as they're of better-sounding quality than the Oakland show, I'd be very much up for this

Is there any info beyond this, like from which shows?

As long as they're of better-sounding quality than the Oakland show, I'd be very much up for this

Is there any info beyond this, like from which shows?

I'm sure there is, but it's beyond me. I picked up the previous info at SHF. @rontoon would likely know what's known; he seems very knowledgeable in his Floyd.

Ya that's it! That is the show. Pretty sure it was a Sunday night-late, and I was pretty taken because the band was so "forward" remember, this is when music like Led Zep only got airplay after 12 midnight. Hard rock was "underground" music then!
When you got beat up for having long hair!! This is why I was so taken by the fact it was on TV to start with.

Available in full on the Atom Heart Mother boxset.

Back