Sony UBP-X800 4K/SACD/DVD-A Player: Who Has Lowest Price?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is basically a universal player, "comparable" to the Oppo? If so, why don't we all have one? I gathered the superior customer service of Oppo vs. Sony, but for a fraction of the cost....it seems almost too good to be true. What am I missing?

So this is basically a universal player, "comparable" to the Oppo? If so, why don't we all have one? I gathered the superior customer service of Oppo vs. Sony, but for a fraction of the cost....it seems almost too good to be true. What am I missing?

From What Snood have read .... it will not play burned dvds - It will play regular retail dvds , but the dvdr dvd+- it will not - for me that is a deal breaker - Snood has a lot of Burned dvd stuff from flac files. :giggle:

In my tests, the only burned discs that it will not play are SACD and DVD-AUDIO. It plays burned CD, DVD-VIDEO, BLU-RAY and DATA discs.

In my tests, the only burned discs that it will not play are SACD and DVD-AUDIO. It plays burned CD, DVD-VIDEO, BLU-RAY and DATA discs.

Yeah burned DVD-Audio - that's my biggie - Thank You Francois for clearing that up :LB

ever see the price on sony avr's ? look how inexpensive they are, compared to others, why do you think this is?
Oppo is far superior to any brand in my mind. In this world you get what you pay for. Bottom line.

ever see the price on sony avr's ? look how inexpensive they are, compared to others, why do you think this is?
Oppo is far superior to any brand in my mind. In this world you get what you pay for. Bottom line.

I couldn't agree with you more about some of SONY's audio offerings over the past many years, but the two X800's I now have as transports will keep me enjoying the collection of discs I have spent years of tracking down for quite a while.

The 4K streaming is an incredible plus for the player being as basic as it is.

Amazon warehouse special in "very good condition" for $146.66....5 units now available 4th one down...uh oh...the time it took me to type this there was only 1 left and it had some marks on it...the previous ones only had some damage to the package...geeze...people must be searching for these units...nevermindo_O

I agree, the 800 ain't NO OPPO. I purchased an X800 when it was first announced and paid $300 for it [with two FREE UHD 4K movies......BIG DEAL] and replaced it when I took possession of the OPPO UHD 205. The X800 now sits on my floor but as I recall it was a GREAT UHD 4K player and handled 3D with equal aplomb. I never had a chance to really assess the SACD/DVD~A playback quality, however, but I can assure you it's NO competition for OPPO.

What I DO find unsettling is the amount of 'refurbished' units for sale on Amazon and it was replaced rather quickly with a new model [which omitted DVD~A playback]. What gives?

Last edited:
The X700 is much more cheaply made although it supposedly is supposed to get Dolby Vision in an update. It is actually a downgrade o_O

hey Snoody, my brother just bought the X700 and it does indeed do Dolby Vision after fw update.
the machine is pretty cheap looking and feels cheap too, the remote is tiny and buttons feel kinda cluttered in the hand, the disc loading tray doesnt look like it could stand much abuse, plus the paucity of connections round the back was kind of a shock to a "cable guy" like me.. the OSD of menu overlays has a fuzzy quality to it relative to the razor sharp images (thats a personal pet peeve, not important really I guess) but.. reality check, its bloody cheap AND above all the picture quality of several UHD BD's he picked up (Equalizer, T2, Kingsmen 2) thru his 4K Sony telly (model escapes me right now, I'll ask him later) was absolutely spectacular..!! i literally ran out of superlatives to yell out as we watched scene after scene after scene of just jaw-droppingly incredible looking video, detail levels were astounding, colour pop just right, depth to the image spot on, light effects and glass and stuff with the HDR, oh man... I WANT ONE NOW.. uh oh, another reality check = i really need a better spec machine. despite the mesmerising PQ, I just can't live with a machine that's that stripped back in terms of connections, plus DVD-A is a must and although I didn't test it, afaik it can't handle DVD-A? anyway if DVD-A playback is not important and someone wants to get into UHD BD on the cheap but with really great (i mean, great!) (did i mention? its really great!) picture quality, I guess it will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

hey Snoody, my brother just bought the X700 and it does indeed do Dolby Vision after fw update.
the machine is pretty cheap looking and feels cheap too, the remote is tiny and buttons feel kinda cluttered in the hand, the disc loading tray doesnt look like it could stand much abuse, plus the paucity of connections round the back was kind of a shock to a "cable guy" like me.. the OSD of menu overlays has a fuzzy quality to it relative to the razor sharp images (thats a personal pet peeve, not important really I guess) but.. reality check, its bloody cheap AND above all the picture quality of several UHD BD's he picked up (Equalizer, T2, Kingsmen 2) thru his 4K Sony telly (model escapes me right now, I'll ask him later) was absolutely spectacular..!! i literally ran out of superlatives to yell out as we watched scene after scene after scene of just jaw-droppingly incredible looking video, detail levels were astounding, colour pop just right, depth to the image spot on, light effects and glass and stuff with the HDR, oh man... I WANT ONE NOW.. uh oh, another reality check = i really need a better spec machine. despite the mesmerising PQ, I just can't live with a machine that's that stripped back in terms of connections, plus DVD-A is a must and although I didn't test it, afaik it can't handle DVD-A? anyway if DVD-A playback is not important and someone wants to get into UHD BD on the cheap but with really great (i mean, great!) (did i mention? its really great!) picture quality, I guess it will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

You're just gonna have to hustle up an OPPO, partner. They're scarce as Hen's Teeth but play everything.......It's Time!

while i'm here (apologies for brief OT Qn.) can anyone of you QQ hardware experts recommend a 4k TV (approx 50") currently in production that can handle 3D-BD?

i don't keep up with tech as much as i used to so it's old news i guess but it seems 3D's been dropped from almost all new tellies now?

Sony's ZD9 handles 3D etc.. but ideally something a bit smaller (65" is a bit big) and cheaper if possible. if not i'll raid the piggy bank and hire a cherry picker to get it in the house, it looks a beaut of a brute!

Back