Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as there is a pressing plant left...there is always hope:unsure:

There are many pressing lines at replication plants that can produce CDs - and at two Sony DADC plants (Austria and Tokyo) - even SACDs.
The issue these days is a question of priority as the plant will configure the line for the largest order first. Which often is not an audio disc.

For those on the fence about this one, and for those who have the CD-4, Q8, and/or Q4, check out the poll threads for these 4 titles. Essentially the BluRay Box will be the same mixes as these quad tapes and the disc, but it will be cleaner, clearer, and better on the BluRay discs than we could ever have imagined back in the day.
One would certainly hope so anyway.

Oh, how I will cherish the day when I have the 5.1 of The Captain and Me in one hand and the Quadio in the other and ponder which one I should choose to play.

I put both mixes on a car disc a while back. I tend to drift toward the new 5.1 mix for it's added clarity, but there are some mixing decisions I prefer in the quad. Hopefully this new blu-ray version brings the quad closer in fidelity to the 5.1. The reel rip I'm using seems to have all kinds of issues...loud hiss (maybe no dolby decoding used), and the first two tracks sound slow/warbly compared to all the other versions of the album I've heard (Stereo streaming/LP, CD-4 LP, DVD-A, etc).

I think a lot of members are going to discover that the real gem of this set is the Vices/Habits quad mix. That album may not be the strongest musically, but the quad mix elevates it to a new level. "Black Water" is unreal.

Last edited:
I think a lot of members are going to discover that the real gem of this set is the Vices/Habits quad mix. That album may not be the strongest musically, but the quad mix elevates it to a new level. "Black Water" is unreal.

I think it's one of their most interesting albums musically, too--partly because I favor their jazzier outings. (Livin' On the Fault Line is in my DB pantheon.) "Another Park, Another Sunday" still gives me the shivers every time I hear it.

Vices/Habits is my favorite of the bunch in stereo, thanks to the excellent presentation on MoFi SACD, so I won't be surprised if it's my favorite in quad, too.

I think it's one of their most interesting albums musically, too--partly because I favor their jazzier outings. (Livin' On the Fault Line is in my DB pantheon.) "Another Park, Another Sunday" still gives me the shivers every time I hear it.
Robert Christeau panned it, so it is held in low regard by some. Not me.

That joker said they can't do covers. Like their "Jesus is Just Alright" isn't the gold standard version. And I'm a big Byrds fan.

I've always felt that, generally speaking, entertainment critics are about as useful as a wicker pisspot.

I will tell you that I enjoy good honest criticism. Sometimes a negative review of an album, if the review is detailed and factual, will tell me that I’ll love the album.

One of my favorite record reviews is a scathing review of Larks Tongues in Aspic, which is an album I love. I love it because every word is true, but I can tell that what the reviewer hates, I will enjoy.

I will tell you that I enjoy good honest criticism. Sometimes a negative review of an album, if the review is detailed and factual, will tell me that I’ll love the album.

One of my favorite record reviews is a scathing review of Larks Tongues in Aspic, which is an album I love. I love it because every word is true, but I can tell that what the reviewer hates, I will enjoy.

"...to say that this critic despises Devo..." is stuck in my head from an ultra-negative Rolling Stone review of, I think, their second album. I think it's the only time I ever wrote to RS, asking what point there was in having someone review a band they hate.

"...to say that this critic despises Devo..." is stuck in my head from an ultra-negative Rolling Stone review of, I think, their second album. I think it's the only time I ever wrote to RS, asking what point there was in having someone review a band they hate.

This review https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-whitest-music-ever/534174/ is an example of a negative review that I truly loathe. The reviewer made it clear that he hated progressive rock and everything it represented, and spent the entire review writing about that. Other than one tiny quote, likely taken from the back of the book jacket, there is no mention of the actual book.

We never once got any discussion of whether the book was engaging read or if it presented the subject accurately and completely. Just progressive rock sucks, gentle giant is annoying, The Ramones are the best, and why don’t these people all die?

I bought the book out of spite. It’s not bad, a bit too dry and linear, and it can’t spend too much time on the most interesting bands because it has to cover the whole genre over the decades. Worth a read if you’re interested in what the hell was going on with all those bands.

This review https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-whitest-music-ever/534174/ is an example of a negative review that I truly loathe. The reviewer made it clear that he hated progressive rock and everything it represented, and spent the entire review writing about that. Other than one tiny quote, likely taken from the back of the book jacket, there is no mention of the actual book.

It's the kind of thing I associate with elementary school children on the playground. "Ewww! You like that song?!?!?"

No comment option on that review, spared me the minute it would take to describe how utterly pointless it is and for a review, a real amateur work.

No comment option on that review, spared me the minute it would take to describe how utterly pointless it is and for a review, a real amateur work.

It does bother me that someone was paid for that review. It's not badly written, but I expect the reviewer to actually review the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back