Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine you got the PAL version?...I had to get the NTSC version for the US....do you know what NTSC stands for?....NOT THE SAME COLOR(a running joke at the time on the dubious quality of some of the transfers)
On this side of the pond we always believed it stood for Never The Same Colour! Still better than 405 line Black & White pictures though

Listening to the new DG Bluray of "The Planets". This is my third hi-res, surround version of that popular classical work. Performance is by far the best I've heard. And it's in quad from the 1971 original tapes. I give it a 10 for those interested in classical.
It is excellent, I managed to listen to it yesterday.

2BOVzgj.jpg

Excellent song :smokin

Best of The Doors (BD-A)

Ah, FINALLY, some rock 'n roll, Brett!

I was beginning to think you were soliciting ORGAN DONORS from the plethora of Organ music you've been playing lately.......or was it an ORGANIC CLEANSE?o_O

I listened to two stunning Jazz albums last night: Maynard Ferguson: "One more trip to Birdland" and Mel Torme with George Shearing "A Vintage Year" both on the Concord Jazz label and both mch SACDs. The Ferguson disc is 'crazy'discrete and is an audiophile treasure as is the Mel Torme/Shearing LIVE disc [ambience in rear but stunning and gorgeous recording].

I also spun Brian Adams "Reckless" on BD~A 5.1 as there's current discussions that the disc is 'failing.' Mine sounded fine.

I capped off the evening with "Appalachian Journey" with Yo Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor......gorgeous blue grass music stunningly recorded on a SONY mch SACD

Last edited:
Ah, FINALLY, some rock 'n roll, Brett!

I was beginning to think you were soliciting ORGAN DONORS from the plethora of Organ music you've been playing lately.......or was it an ORGANIC CLEANSE?o_O

I listened to two stunning Jazz albums last night: Maynard Ferguson: "One more trip to Birdland" and Mel Torme with George Shearing "A Vintage Year" both on the Concord Jazz label and both mch SACDs. The Ferguson disc is 'crazy'discrete and is an audiophile treasure as is the Mel Torme/Shearing LIVE disc [ambience in rear but stunning and gorgeous recording].

I also spun Brian Adams "Reckless" on BD~A 5.1 as there's current discussions that the disc is 'failing.' Mine sounded fine.
Hey what are you talking about!!!?? I am still getting plenty of organ courtesy of Ray Manzarek :p

But seriously, you guys are missing out on some of the best music recorded for surround. Pipe Organ is one instrument that sounds fantastic on a good ambient surround recording. The resonance of the church or hall in which the organ is performed is a vital part of the listening experience. As wacky as this sounds, it could almost be compared to the body of a cello or guitar.

Anyway, Tower had a big sale on CPO's SACDs & CDs. I picked up a few I didn't have. CPO's baroque organ series on SACD is fantastic!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Hey what are you talking about!!!?? I am still getting plenty of organ courtesy of Ray Manzarek :p

But seriously, you guys are missing out on some of the best music recorded for surround. Pipe Organ is one instrument that sounds fantastic on a good ambient surround recording. The resonance of the church or hall in which the organ is performed is a vital part of the listening experience. As wacky as this sounds, it could almost be compared to the body of a cello or guitar.

Anyway, Tower had a big sale on CPO's SACDs & CDs. I picked up a few I didn't have. CPO's baroque organ series on SACD is fantastic!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Brett, I went to Catholic schools for 13 years and we had a beautiful organ in the cathedral like Resurrection Church in Rye, NY where I attended grammar school. I went to all the masses, etc. and 9 years of Organ was burned into my brain. Of course it certainly wasn't on par with the great Church Organs/Cathedrals of the world and world renowned performers.....but you get the gist!

I do have some gorgeous mch SACD organ recordings but it's just not on my hit list.....unless I'm feeling religious......which is RARE!

Ralphie:devilish:just ain't in the mood, Dude!

Yes, I understand what you're saying, Ralphie. I guess most people have such a reaction to organ and other music from the Baroque & Renaissance (such as choral). But... I've always thought it was strange that most people also really appreciate and enjoy looking at RELIGIOUS PAINTINGS, SCULPTURES, etc... from these same eras WITHOUT BEING BOTHERED by the religious themes. For me, Organ and choral music from these time periods is ART in the same sense as works by Albrecht Dürer, van Eyck, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Titian, Caravaggio, etc...

Anyway, I know how past memories can effect how we feel about art and music. The Brian Adams album you mentioned was played to DEATH o_O during the 1980s and beyond... And as nice as the music and/or surround mix might be, I have little interest in playing that one in my home. There is so little time and SO MUCH INCREDIBLE MUSIC from the Renaissance, Baroque, etc... :love: :love: :love:

Back