SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than an old PS3 with hacked firmware, I think the SACD rip-capable players are still limited to the OPPO 103/203 (and any spinoff thereof) along with a few older Pioneer units, like the BDP-80 and BDP-160. There is no updated list because the chip that has the "vulnerability" and allows the rip to occur is no longer used and has been surpassed by newer chips. It reminds me of my cousin who would never relinquish an old portable Panasonic VHS recorder because it had no copy protection circuitry and could make copies of protected VHS tapes.

I purchased a Sony BDP-S590 yesterday locally for $25. I used the same scripts and USB drive I use to rip on my Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD and successfully ripped multiple SACDs.

I purchased a Sony BDP-S590 yesterday locally for $25. I used the same scripts and USB drive I use to rip on my Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD and successfully ripped multiple SACDs.
Nice. Did you know the Sony had the required Mediatek chips before you bought it? I think there was one or two Sony models that were being discussed in the original CA thread, maybe this was one of those?

Nice. Did you know the Sony had the required Mediatek chips before you bought it?

I have been subscribed to the ripping thread on Computer Audiophile since the beginning. When someone posted about some of the cheap Sony's working, I kept an eye out for one. Put that model number in my Craiglist App and one happened to pop up. Nearly new with box, remote. Thirty minutes away in Hudson, FL. The guy was cool too. He owns an Oppo 205 and we talked for a few minutes about audio/video stuff.

After playing with the Sony for less than 24 hours, it is a good ripper but not much of a playback machine. No FLAC support and it doesn't sound that great compared to my other ripper, the Pioneer Elite FD-80. I am not complaining for $25 however. The unit looks brand new.

I have been subscribed to the ripping thread on Computer Audiophile since the beginning. When someone posted about some of the cheap Sony's working, I kept an eye out for one. Put that model number in my Craiglist App and one happened to pop up. Nearly new with box, remote. Thirty minutes away in Hudson, FL. The guy was cool too. He owns an Oppo 205 and we talked for a few minutes about audio/video stuff.

After playing with the Sony for less than 24 hours, it is a good ripper but not much of a playback machine. No FLAC support and it doesn't sound that great compared to my other ripper, the Pioneer Elite FD-80. I am not complaining for $25 however. The unit looks brand new.
Sweet. Another Florida member.

Sony BDP-590 can rip sacd's? Which other Sony blu-ray players can do this? I have a Sony BDP-780 that can play sacd-r.

The answer to your question, and probably any other question you may have will be somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread....

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ipping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/
The answer to your question, and probably any other question you may have will be somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread....

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ipping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/
Thanks for the link. Others I found early in this thread were busted. Thumbs up!

I'm jealous of your Sony deal. I'm gonna check out that Craigslist app both for electronics and boat parts. I live just outside Buffalo NY and I'm only 90 mins from Toronto ON which is a huge marketplace for nearly anything. When shopping for the FD-80 I did check Ebay for a used Pioneer with no success. I found refurbished units from on line sellers for $60 less than I paid, but I didn't want any return hassles. If I could have gone bought a refurb unit through Amazon I would have jumped on it.

The FD-80 is just rippin' away, even as I write this. I played a blue ray movie on it the other night and I cant fault the video performance at all. And even though it seems slow and noisy when it loads and powers up, once it is in play mode, its actually pretty quiet and responsive.

One question... it looks like the power button on the FD-80 has a hole in its center, like for a pilot LED. I don't ever see the button light up, and I don't see any mention of there actually an LED indicator in the manual. Does your power button light up at all?

I'm jealous of your Sony deal. I'm gonna check out that Craigslist app both for electronics and boat parts. I live just outside Buffalo NY and I'm only 90 mins from Toronto ON which is a huge marketplace for nearly anything. When shopping for the FD-80 I did check Ebay for a used Pioneer with no success. I found refurbished units from on line sellers for $60 less than I paid, but I didn't want any return hassles. If I could have gone bought a refurb unit through Amazon I would have jumped on it.

The FD-80 is just rippin' away, even as I write this. I played a blue ray movie on it the other night and I cant fault the video performance at all. And even though it seems slow and noisy when it loads and powers up, once it is in play mode, its actually pretty quiet and responsive.

One question... it looks like the power button on the FD-80 has a hole in its center, like for a pilot LED. I don't ever see the button light up, and I don't see any mention of there actually an LED indicator in the manual. Does your power button light up at all?

No light I can see. Looks more like an indentation than a hole on mine. The build quality seems much better on the Pioneer Elite than the Sony and I think it sounds a bit better streaming songs from my laptop over LAN connection.

One good thing about the Sony in conjunction with the Pioneer Elite is you can use the exact same USB scripts setup without any modifications. You just have to toggle the stereo/multichannel setting in the menu after loading the disc because there is no setting to turn off auto-start. It is just a simple work around.

Last edited:
It kinda feels like having a super power, doesn’t it?
The irony of this scenario for me is: Before this hack appeared, I owned maybe 3 or 4 SACDs. I just wasn't interested in investing a lot of money in a format that seemed headed for the orphanage. But now that I have a Pioneer BDP-80FD, which allows me to back up my purchases to an obsolescence-proof medium, I've been buying SACDs like crazy - wa-ay more than I ever would have considered owning before. I'm always impressed with this talent the recording industry has for shooting itself in the foot.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare BDP-S790 lying around...anyone know if it's equally compatible?
From what I have read over at that (now fairly famous) thread at computeraudiophile is that it’s not entirely conclusive regarding 790. What is clear is that its budget sibling 590 works. Apparently 790 is using a dual processor, but some guy looked into it further claiming it share the same source code as 590 here finally suggesting that one with a 790 player should try the method for 590. A few pages on and it seems there is no luck. 590 is probably a better bet, still the only confirmed Sony player to work. It used to be cheap and widespread, should be fairly easy to pick up.

I bought a second-hand 103 last year, and I have not got round to ripping any SACDs, work pays for this hobby (i.e. obsession!), but by the weekend the last thing I really want to do is anything technical so I never get the motivation, nuts! :mad:

I know what you mean, Duncan. I ordered my first Raspberry Pi last week, intending to use it as a barebones music player so I would no longer have to start up the big old HTPC just to listen to music. But while waiting for it to arrive, I did a lot of googling, and discovered that there's apparently not a definitive answer on whether it will do multichannel over HDMI without resampling, at least without a lot of screwing around. Meanwhile, Best Buy had a little Dell Inspiron w/ Windows 10, open-box, on sale for $120(!). Wireless in, HDMI out, up & running Foobar w/ WASAPI in about an hour, done.

Just got an email that the RasPi is ready to pick up - I'm sure I'll find something to do with it, sooner or later... :)

From what I have read over at that (now fairly famous) thread at computeraudiophile is that it’s not entirely conclusive regarding 790. What is clear is that its budget sibling 590 works. Apparently 790 is using a dual processor, but some guy looked into it further claiming it share the same source code as 590 here finally suggesting that one with a 790 player should try the method for 590. A few pages on and it seems there is no luck. 590 is probably a better bet, still the only confirmed Sony player to work. It used to be cheap and widespread, should be fairly easy to pick up.
If I have a 790 taking up space I'm not going to bother trying to find a 590 as well. I'll look into using it.

Back