What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Crap, bigbill! That's remarkable. I would bet that reel, as it looks almost new, is worth way more than the $1270.94 the winner paid. Seeing as how it's an Apple release, a quad reel, and a John Lennon album, the collectability of the thing is through the roof. No doubt it's rarer than any butcher album cover, and 45 with a misspelling, or a lot of other Beatles/Apple related stuff out there. I have never heard of an Imagine Q4 - ever.

Of course I grabbed those images and added an "Imagine Q4" section to the QQ Beatles Page. Thanks for posting them, and I of course gave you credit in the blurb I wrote.

Would be a prime candidate for a conversion, eh? :eek:

And I wonder what was on the "Rock and Swing" reel? Probably MOR stuff I would guess, but you never know.

Hi. All

I have been following a Auction on a Japanese web site for a set off 5 Quadraphonic Q4 Reel to Reel`s tapes they finished and sold for

US. $1,270.94.....:eek:

The one that I would of liked was the - John Lennon Imagine... and it wasn't me how won........

View attachment 32964View attachment 32965

Holy Crap, bigbill! That's remarkable. I would bet that reel, as it looks almost new, is worth way more than the $1270.94 the winner paid. Seeing as how it's an Apple release, a quad reel, and a John Lennon album, the collectability of the thing is through the roof. No doubt it's rarer than any butcher album cover, and 45 with a misspelling, or a lot of other Beatles/Apple related stuff out there. I have never heard of an Imagine Q4 - ever.

Of course I grabbed those images and added an "Imagine Q4" section to the QQ Beatles Page. Thanks for posting them, and I of course gave you credit in the blurb I wrote.

Would be a prime candidate for a conversion, eh? :eek:

And I wonder what was on the "Rock and Swing" reel? Probably MOR stuff I would guess, but you never know.

Thanks JonUrban
I did bid on this Auction but my budget could not go as far I stopped at $500.00, yes I would agree with you its most likely would go a lot higher on eBay to a John Lennon fan, yes all the years I have been looking I have never seen this Q4 Quad reel tape come up or thought it existed..
And yes it would be a prime candidate for a conversion????

Hi. All

I have been following a Auction on a Japanese web site for a set off 5 Quadraphonic Q4 Reel to Reel`s tapes they finished and sold for

US. $1,270.94.....:eek:

The one that I would of liked was the - John Lennon Imagine... and it wasn't me how won........

View attachment 32964View attachment 32965

Truthfully, you might have been spared as the QUAD version of Imagine has been universally panned EVERYWHERE. You're probably better off purchasing the Universal/Apple Stereo BD~A of Imagine and applying DSP via your pre/pro!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/John-Lennon-Imagine-Blu-ray/93759/#Review

For a surround presentation, yes. For a ultra-rare collectable that spans many genre's, it's well worth it. I mean, I would not have gone musch higher than bigbillquad, but I would have bid. Even in this depressed recorded music market, that tape is worth more than that, I am sure.

Not to honk my own horn (beep beep!) but for anyone who missed it, I did a thread yesterday listing all the info I could find about the Toshiba-EMI Japan series of quad reels and LPs that the Imagine quad reel is part of. I'm hoping that by collating all the catalog numbers, formats etc. that if there is anything missing, it will help bring it to light.

Not to honk my own horn (beep beep!) but for anyone who missed it, I did a thread yesterday listing all the info I could find about the Toshiba-EMI Japan series of quad reels and LPs that the Imagine quad reel is part of. I'm hoping that by collating all the catalog numbers, formats etc. that if there is anything missing, it will help bring it to light.

:SGConsider Horn honked :SG Snood checking out linky right now:LB

'Quad First', Nick Perugini, replied to my email but alas he does not have a copy of this reel. He did know about it, however. He said that he'd send me some scans he had of it when he got back home later this week. This guy is the real deal, or the reel deel, or the primo collector, or........

Hi. All

A load of Quad stuff came today.
The Japanese auction mentioned above which I had bided on and was unsuccessful there was from the same seller another batch of Quad RtoR Tapes going that I was successful in biding for and here they are 6 Quad 3 sealed 3 opened & 6 Stereo Tapes 3 sealed 3 opened these where all classical Tapes.

( Trio. Q4 4CHT-101/102 2 set reels boxed Janos Starker Beethoven Recital )-
I had a quick listen to these tapes being classical chamber music the Quad back channels are mainly the acoustics of the room they where playing in.

( Victor. Q4 4CHK 2001 -J.S.Bach Brandenburg Concerto No.5 in D Major 1050 )-
( Victor. Q4 4CHK 2002 -Makoto Moroi / Piano Concerto No.1 :Factory sealed New )-
( Victor. Q4 4CHK 2003 -Barber String Quartet Op.11 :Factory sealed New )-
( Victor. Q4 4CHK 2004 -Voice Of Sofia The BULGARIAN RADIO MEN`S CHOIR :Factory sealed New )-
One more...
( Grunt. Q8 PQFT-1004 -Burgers Hot Tuna :Factory sealed New )-

1.jpg
1A.JPG
2.jpg
2A.JPG
A.JPG
B.JPG
C.JPG
3.jpg

Last edited:
'Quad First', Nick Perugini, replied to my email but alas he does not have a copy of this reel. He did know about it, however. He said that he'd send me some scans he had of it when he got back home later this week. This guy is the real deal, or the reel deel, or the primo collector, or........

Yes, I met Nick back in the mid-90's and visited his quad lair a couple of times....I think I steered him to a couple of his small "wanted list" items since I lived in Philly at the time and went to a lot of used record stores. Not only did he have all the decoders...he had all the encoders. Duplicates of every Q8 ever made, etc.

Yes, I met Nick back in the mid-90's and visited his quad lair a couple of times....I think I steered him to a couple of his small "wanted list" items since I lived in Philly at the time and went to a lot of used record stores. Not only did he have all the decoders...he had all the encoders. Duplicates of every Q8 ever made, etc.

"every Q8 ever made", you say.. did he have The Isley Brothers' "Heat Is On" Quad by any chance? duplicate not necessary (and SQ is fine if he didn't have the Q8) just to know one copy on either format exists would be enough ;)

Back