CHICAGO QUADIO - 2 Year Anniversary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is still available from Amazon for $122.88. Hopefully by this point they are all newer stock with the corrected discs. Has anyone bought this recently that can confirm?

Last edited:
Strange that I could never get into Chicago until I became a surroundaholic. I then began to collect their SQ vinyl (which was quite a chore) and I never did get all of them. The only discrete Chicago's I could get were their greatest hits Q8 and the CTA DTS disc. All of the other Chicago Q8's were selling for $100 plus on ebay. The way I see it, there are only two reasons for this, either the Q8' are rare ( I never even got close to getting any of them) or I am just blessed with good taste (everything I want is the same stuff everybody else wants, which sends the prices through the roof and I am stuck on the sideline just wishing). To paraphrase, the Chicago quad box is my favorite quad release ever.,

I finally picked this up recently and took a look at the stereo wave forms for Chicago side 2 as well as Colour My World from Chicago IX and to my tired eyes it looks to be actual stereo versus a doubled up mono. I can post SS if someone wants to peek at a snippet, or can pull a specific section if someone wants to direct me to one that will be obvious if it stereo or 2xmono.

Yes, two of the discs had some/all(?) stereo versions in mono... I asked Rhino for replacements a year ago and when those finally arrived months later they were not the corrected versions but the "defective" ones again. Since I don't plan to listen to them in stereo any time soon I didn't bother asking for the actual correct discs once more.

Yes, two of the discs had some/all(?) stereo versions in mono... I asked Rhino for replacements a year ago and when those finally arrived months later they were not the corrected versions but the "defective" ones again. Since I don't plan to listen to them in stereo any time soon I didn't bother asking for the actual correct discs once more.

:eek:

I don't recall checking!

love the presentation of this box but I find the mastering a bit too crispy. I actually find the Q8 tapes to sound better.

heh, to think a blu ray could take a back seat to an 8-track tape...if it wasn't for the hiss, I'd say the Q8 was aurally superior.
sold most of my Q8s of Chicago when this box came out..don't regret it coz I got crazy good money for them.

love the presentation of this box but I find the mastering a bit too crispy. I actually find the Q8 tapes to sound better.
I'm with you on Craig Anderson's mastering. Smiley, overhyped, a bit too closed-in and somewhat fatiguing, both the quad and the stereo. I'm surprised more aren't bothered by it, especially over at SHF.

heh, to think a blu ray could take a back seat to an 8-track tape...if it wasn't for the hiss, I'd say the Q8 was aurally superior.
sold most of my Q8s of Chicago when this box came out..don't regret it coz I got crazy good money for them.

I'm with you on Craig Anderson's mastering. Smiley, overhyped, a bit too closed-in and somewhat fatiguing, both the quad and the stereo. I'm surprised more aren't bothered by it, especially over at SHF.

That's interesting as I find many other quads and 5.1's "crispier" than these. I actually consider many of these discs to be some of the smoothest in my rock collection...so much so that I had to take a second look at the thread title to make sure we were talking about the Chicago Quadio. (VIII and X might be a bit brighter than the others...Can't remember as I hardly listen to those.) Anyone else on the forum like to chime in?

I too find the mastering well rounded and smooth, actually from the other two vinyls I have (s/t and III) I find the stereo mastering on the blu ray discs to be very similar to the original.

Back