PS Audio's Paul McGowan Talks About "Why are we obsessed with 2-channel audio?"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
PS Audio Founder Paul McGowan fields the question "Why are we obsessed with 2-Channel Audio"?

Last edited:
Thank you Brian. I also find it disappointing that there isn't more surround titles out there, especially mainstream stuff. Maybe if the people buying the popular music could hear the surround versions they'd go for it. I like that he does enjoy surround sound and doesn't just put it down as a gimmick. I recently had words on Vinyl Engine when someone asked a quad related question and had a few people just put my views down beacuase I wasn't advocating the norm of 2 channel sound.

McGowan does say that going back to 2-channel after listening to surround is a real letdown, and that he was very impressed with Gus Skinas' surround system.

It is very true that space can be an issue. With all three of my surround systems beginning with the days of quad, I've been fortunate to have a dedicated room. Still, most people should be able to install a modest surround system in their living rooms or dens. My brother-in-law has such a system with small wireless surround speakers and a sub. So no big speakers or unsightly wires going up the walls. It sounds pretty good.

Lack of material? Well, we've been over the reasons for that ad infinitum here.

Back