Hughes SRS Information Added

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
I've uploaded several articles relating to the original version of Hughes Sound Retrieval System (SRS), including a review of the Hughes AK-100 SRS processor, a Popular Science article that explains in-depth how the system works and an AES paper from Sony about the development of an IC for SRS (it was never made because Hughes sold the system before the IC could go into production).
The links are:
Audio Magazine Review:
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/hughes_ak-100_review__audio_magazine_?mode=a_p
Popular Science Article:
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/hughes_srs_article_-_popular_science?mode=a_p
Sony AES Paper:
http://issuu.com/disclord/docs/srs_chipset?mode=a_p

Thank you for this information, Disclord. I feel like I'm enrolled in an extension class on the history of surround sound. I promise to do my homework!

Thank you for this information, Disclord. I feel like I'm enrolled in an extension class on the history of surround sound. I promise to do my homework!

I'm glad you're liking it - I love sharing the information, that I have managed to collect, with others.

One thing I should have noted as an add-on to the Hughes AK-100 review: Its lower priced 'brother', the Hughes AK-500 Retriever, employed an analog IC developed and manufactured by Hughes Audio Division. It was a large-scale analog chip that was more of a prototype than something they actually meant to market and sell in large quantities. The SRS process originally started development as a system for use by passenger airlines to improve the sound of in-flight movies and music on those cheap airplane headphones; after the rave reviews the AK-100 unit got among audiophile magazines like The Perfect Vision and The Absolute Sound, Hughes knew they had a good thing with SRS - but the discrete circuit was very complex, so they quickly developed the SRS system as analog chip to be incorporated into new or upgraded airline audio systems. There were no airline takers, so the chip got re-purposed for the home market in the low cost AK-500. Unfortunately, the chip had some problems and under certain conditions, with certain music, could have audible high frequency noise or audible level shifts of the L-R servos. That's why Hughes had Sony design an SRS chip for the mass market - they felt Sony could do a better job. The Hughes AK-100, which was the first on the market, was built entirely from discrete components, and didn't suffer any of those problems. It continued to sell well with one company, Audio by Van Alstine inc, offering modified AK-100's with better performing op amps and better spec'd resistors & capacitors. Since the AK-100 kept selling so well, the AK-500 quickly got closed out for less than $100 after a short time. That's how I ended up buying mine, from an ad in the back of Audio magazine - a place called Stereo City had the AK-500's for $79 and I thought I'd try it out. I loved the SRS system and quickly bought another for my bedroom stereo. I've never heard the AK-500 misbehave in the ways that Hughes said the unit could; it's always performed perfectly, so if someone runs across the AK-500 at a good price, go for it - it sounds great but doesn't offer the neat display that the AK-100 had. The actual SRS processing performance is exactly the same between the two units.

In the late 90's the NuReality company offered a large home SRS unit that had a display 'similar' to the original Hughes unit, but unfortunately, it uses, like all modern SRS units, the 'non-servo'd' SRS system that doesn't offer anywhere near the performance of the original Hughes units.

I've got a 100 I don't use anymore, sits in its box. Up to 3 years ago, I had it on my TV audio to a stereo amp with the 100 in one of the tape monitor positions.

I wish I wasn't broke and didn't have upcoming doctor appt's that are gonna cost me more or I'd offer to buy it from you.
Well save your pennies and get well soon! It most likely ain't going anywhere.

Hi Disclord:

I've got a Hughes AK-500 - got it hooked up a few weeks ago and have really been enjoying its performance (among other things, it's fun to place it in the signal chain just upstream from my Surround Master decoder). However, after a few weeks of use, it has started to produce a very noticeable and annoying hiss. Is that the high frequency noise you were referring to in your post - and, what can be done about it?

thanks from John R

I'm glad you're liking it - I love sharing the information, that I have managed to collect, with others.

One thing I should have noted as an add-on to the Hughes AK-100 review: Its lower priced 'brother', the Hughes AK-500 Retriever, employed an analog IC developed and manufactured by Hughes Audio Division. It was a large-scale analog chip that was more of a prototype than something they actually meant to market and sell in large quantities. The SRS process originally started development as a system for use by passenger airlines to improve the sound of in-flight movies and music on those cheap airplane headphones; after the rave reviews the AK-100 unit got among audiophile magazines like The Perfect Vision and The Absolute Sound, Hughes knew they had a good thing with SRS - but the discrete circuit was very complex, so they quickly developed the SRS system as analog chip to be incorporated into new or upgraded airline audio systems. There were no airline takers, so the chip got re-purposed for the home market in the low cost AK-500. Unfortunately, the chip had some problems and under certain conditions, with certain music, could have audible high frequency noise or audible level shifts of the L-R servos. That's why Hughes had Sony design an SRS chip for the mass market - they felt Sony could do a better job. The Hughes AK-100, which was the first on the market, was built entirely from discrete components, and didn't suffer any of those problems. It continued to sell well with one company, Audio by Van Alstine inc, offering modified AK-100's with better performing op amps and better spec'd resistors & capacitors. Since the AK-100 kept selling so well, the AK-500 quickly got closed out for less than $100 after a short time. That's how I ended up buying mine, from an ad in the back of Audio magazine - a place called Stereo City had the AK-500's for $79 and I thought I'd try it out. I loved the SRS system and quickly bought another for my bedroom stereo. I've never heard the AK-500 misbehave in the ways that Hughes said the unit could; it's always performed perfectly, so if someone runs across the AK-500 at a good price, go for it - it sounds great but doesn't offer the neat display that the AK-100 had. The actual SRS processing performance is exactly the same between the two units.

In the late 90's the NuReality company offered a large home SRS unit that had a display 'similar' to the original Hughes unit, but unfortunately, it uses, like all modern SRS units, the 'non-servo'd' SRS system that doesn't offer anywhere near the performance of the original Hughes units.

Meanwhile almost 5 years later... been watching AK-100s on ebay and they are commanding a pretty good price these days. Anyone have any idea why people are wanting these nowadays? I may have to get mine out and hook it up again. ☺

I'm a bit baffled by the asking (and many selling) prices for AK-100's on Ebay too. Back when Disclord started this thread they were much more reasonably priced. Apparently, because it's been used by a recording or mixing engineer on some recordings, a three-times increase in asking price is justified. I haven't managed to get one of these yet, and current prices will continue to hold me back.

I'm a bit baffled by the asking (and many selling) prices for AK-100's on Ebay too.... Apparently, because it's been used by a recording or mixing engineer on some recordings, a three-times increase in asking price is justified.
I Googled it looking for the reason. Came across this old thread. So, someone used an SRS unit to process the audio on a recording. Must be it! (One just sold for $142.50 on ebay. )

Yes, that's what I remember reading before. Some people mention it in their auctions, bolstering the asking price, but $200 and up is way over-priced.

I saw that auction too. With the complete package (box, manuals) that was actually not a bad price, in my opinion.

Back