Email Petition To Wendy Carlos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Boys and Girls! :giggle:

The QQ rules are very clear. The forum is not the place to offer shares of copyrighted material, no matter what the local laws are. It matters not if you are male, female, encoded or discrete. There are many industry people that follow QQ and because of this forum we've gotten some pretty sweet surround releases that may or may not have shown up if not for the group of members we have here in this forum.

If Wendy releases these recordings we will certainly support her to the max as we do most surround projects, but we will not be a conduit for internet sharing of files. As I said, what is done in PMs is private and between members.

You cannot post in the forum to "Shoot me an email and I'll send whoever wants one a copy of this copyrighted recording", and, although this is not the case here, you certainly cannot offer such copies for sale. Those posts will be deleted instantly.

That's the deal.

OK Boys and Girls! :giggle:

The QQ rules are very clear. The forum is not the place to offer shares of copyrighted material, no matter what the local laws are. It matters not if you are male, female, encoded or discrete. There are many industry people that follow QQ and because of this forum we've gotten some pretty sweet surround releases that may or may not have shown up if not for the group of members we have here in this forum.

If Wendy releases these recordings we will certainly support her to the max as we do most surround projects, but we will not be a conduit for internet sharing of files. As I said, what is done in PMs is private and between members.

You cannot post in the forum to "Shoot me an email and I'll send whoever wants one a copy of this copyrighted recording", and although this is not the case here, you certainly cannot offer such copies for sale. Those posts will be deleted instantly.

That's the deal.

Thanks for that reminder/clarification, Jon. I'm wondering if the "Terms and rules" page may have gotten lost in the transition to the new site? When I click on it, I get an Error-Page Not Found:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?help/terms/

Hmm. I'll have to pull up the old forum and see what happened. Thanks.

Jon, while we're on that subject..... Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but since the transition to the new version of the forum, whenever I am looking at an old thread that links to another thread, the link never works. (An "oops" message comes up.) Post #1 in this thread is an example. Something tells me that's not an easy fix and not worth the trouble, but thought I'd mention it just in case there's an easy way to rectify it.

I'm quite serious. This is an amazing transfer I want to share with the quad community, in spite of the fact that several folks are giving me flak over it. They apparently don't want to take me seriously just because I am a woman.

Hey Jessica,

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry to see you encountering such a controversial start, as we value your participation. Jon has done a good job of reminding us of the rules just a few posts above this. You can also refer to this link for more related info:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...all-ye-members-for-a-moment.20959/post-258420

The big take home messages are these:

We love surround, and if you love surround, we want you "around."

There are some rules here, but these enhance the forum and help to keep us friendly with industry and each other.

Trading of unauthorized conversions and other collectible material does go on via the private message system. That said, I encourage you to support official releases with your purchasing dollars. The best way we can advocate for more high quality official releases is by voting with our wallets. As long as a nice fan conversion does not prevent you from making a purchase when it is available as an official source, they are fine - but keep the talk offline.

My suspicion regarding the Switched On Bach issue which started this thread is that Wendy is concerned that digital file sharing will diminish potential sales and make the release a commercial failure. So please support official releases.

And please check out other threads and join us in celebrating a great hobby! Thanks for your generous sentiment, and hope to hear from you again.

The copyright on sound recordings in Canada is 70 years from date of issue as of 2015, and even if it was 50 years, Switched-On Bach was released in October '68 meaning even under the 50 year rule it wouldn't be public domain until October of this year.

I'm not sure about performance royalties in Canada, but songwriting credits don't enter the public domain until 50 years after the death of the composer, so it's possible that even if you were legally allowed to give copies of this album away for free that you'd still have to pay statutory royalties to SOCAN or whoever the publishing agency is these days.

It's admirable that you want to share stuff with people, but it's wise to know your legitimate rights rather than standing on a pseudo-legal platform to justify something. Humprof is right that this place probably over-represented by beardy weirdos like himself, but it's always been welcoming to all kinds - and what difference does gender make in a place like this where we're all anonymous and it's just words on the screen?

Sincerely, a fellow Canadian
Finally, some discussion on a topic I know a few things about!

Copyright in Canada expires at the end of the calendar year (same as in the USA). The original stereo sound recording thus enters the public domain on December 31 of the relevant year. As steelydave noted, in 2015 Canada extended the sound recording duration to 70 years, meaning the original stereo sound recording becomes public domain in Canada on December 31, 2038.

Of course, the relevant sound recording is not the 1968 original stereo version, but the 1972 (feel free to correct) quad mix, which will go into the public domain in Canada on December 31, 2042.

For much more discussion of this legal change, this is the best discussion, but it's pretty in the weeds: http://www.entertainmentmedialawsig...-of-copyright-protection-for-sound-recordings. The actual text is here: http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/41-2/bill/C-59/third-reading/page-161#11

Note that unlike the EU, Canada's extension of sound recording copyright does not have a "use it or lose it" clause. Under EU law, a sound recording may only have 50 years of protection if the “phonogram producer does not offer copies of the phonogram for sale in sufficient quantity or does not make it available to the public.” I've argued here in the past (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sible-sunlight-on-the-horizon-for-quad.23458/) that this clause could be the impetus for digitally reissuing quad recordings, since I think the better reading is that copyright in the quadraphonic sound recording would expire after 50 years if the owner of the copyright in the recording does not make it available. This would only apply in the EU, not Canada.

Edit to add: This is NOT legal advice. Anyone considering taking actions that might constitute copyright infringement should talk to a lawyer knowledgeable about the copyright laws of their home country.

all this discussion about copyright etc of Wendy Carlos' work would be unnecessary if the artiste would release her Quad recordings in discrete multich Hi-res form on SACD or DVD, or even via download if the expense of producing surround releases on a physical format prohibitive.. just something/anything, so we can buy it rather than resort to even having to entertain the idea of entering the underworld of dark and shady illegal file sharing! boo! hiss! cower! pretty far out idea, i know, to make recordings legitimately available to purchase.. but still, just putting it out there/statin' the bleedin' obvious.. ;)

all this discussion about copyright etc of Wendy Carlos' work would be unnecessary if the artiste would release her Quad recordings in discrete multich Hi-res form on SACD or DVD, or even via download if the expense of producing surround releases on a physical format prohibitive.. just something/anything, so we can buy it rather than resort to even having to entertain the idea of entering the underworld of dark and shady illegal file sharing! boo! hiss! cower! pretty far out idea, i know, to make recordings legitimately available to purchase.. but still, just putting it out there/statin' the bleedin' obvious.. ;)

This. I had an email conversation with an industry insider of a very large label, and the thing I drove home was that surround people are mostly wacko's, and the even though we could have in our possession the finest and most perfect "conversion" of a quad recording, done by the best people with the best equipment from the very best source, like a Mike Robin reel right off the master, if a title becomes available from a legit source, we're all over it.

For example, the BOTW conversion from the MR reel is not going to sound that much better than an official SACD of the title, but we were all lined up to buy it, we all preordered it, and we all got super pissed when Simon (and it was Simon*) put the squash on it.

Same with the Chicago Quadios and the Dutton and AF SACDs - most quad guys had conversions, but we seem to always want the legit stuff.

We are a fading client base and these record companies are missing a financial resource, not huge or big, but it's a resource.

* - Don't ask, I can't tell. :)

Back