MANSUN - Attack of the Grey Lantern boxset

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every surround mixer should hear Scenes From an Italian Restaurant from The Stranger before they start mixing and use that as a template.
Not all music is like The Stranger, which already has great fidelity and space between the instruments. Many recordings from the 90s are the opposite with the sounds of the instruments often glued together, also at a high and compressed volume making it a lot more ”easy” to do a proper surround mix of The Stranger rather than Definitely Maybe or ”Attack...”. That is my very amateruish view of it, however placing vocals in all speakers is a big no no whether you have a death metal recording or a Steely Dan dito.

Having read the comments, I decided to listen to this today. It is wrap-round 270 degree stereo with some discrete bits in the rears from time to time. My guess is Paul Draper is happy with the mix. Is it bad? Well that depends, my speaker set-up and seating position are as in the SACD booklets and I'm much closer to the rears than the fronts. So it doesn't sound as 'bad' as if you move to the central quadraphonic listening position when it is very front dominant, and you'd wonder if the rears really were active. The DTS fidelity is good, and I've always loved the album. So I'm glad I have it, the music comes first. Its a shame, but its definitely not a surround reference disc!

had a v.brief tryout just now.
don't hang on these ramblings, tbh i'm too tired, fed up/bunged up with hayfever (which i'm seemingly suffering for the first time ever in 41 years on planet earth.. just another thing fast-tracking me from middle age to decrepitude) to playthrough it more than once now.

anyway, somehow unusually/unexpectedly thought maybe i preferred the Dolby Digital to the DTS 5.1 just flicking between the two streams.. but need to just check that's not some reverse psychology placebo voodoo power of QQ suggestion playing tricks with my mind! i'll run it thru the computer when i get a chance and see if there really is any difference between the DD & DTS (and just what's going on in each channel of each codec).. you never know.

on 1st listen the mix seems a bit unadventurous, dense and kinda double stereo-ish for such material.

musically i love it and this kind of thing makes a refreshing change to hear in surround from the usual Classic Rock & old Quad stuff.. but the surround mix
seems a bit dark and cludgey, it never really opens up like my favourite surround music mixes do.. bits stick out here and there.. just like the Paul Draper mix things appear to pop out of the rear channels and give you a little "ooh" moment but a lot of it sounds like its all going on everywhere else too, so its a bit of an attack of the grey lanterns on the old ears at times!

i need to give it some proper listening time when i get over my middle-aged Saturday night hayfever
but so far a bit underwhelmed and would agree with comments of others here and elsewhere so far who have said the surround is somewhat lacking. shame, i was looking forward to this. still i'll give it another shot and a fair crack of the whip when I'm less sniffly.. achoo! :LOL:

Muggins here got hit by hayfever at the tender age of 25! though Privet hedge in flower always gave me a whisky hangover headache (both still do!), and now many decades on I'm still hit by f***ing hayfever, so I sympathise. So shortly I'm going to go for a walk :hi to get some medication :eek: ..................Otter Real Ale in the local pub :SB...……….does it cure the hayfever? who cares after a few! :SG

Not all music is like The Stranger, which already has great fidelity and space between the instruments. Many recordings from the 90s are the opposite with the sounds of the instruments often glued together, also at a high and compressed volume making it a lot more ”easy” to do a proper surround mix of The Stranger rather than Definitely Maybe or ”Attack...”. That is my very amateruish view of it, however placing vocals in all speakers is a big no no whether you have a death metal recording or a Steely Dan dito.

I would have thought given the context of the rest of my post that my comments on The Stranger were referring almost exclusively to how you mix vocals. That said, What's the Story SACD shows us that even in Oasis' case the dynamic range compression isn't baked into the multis. We'd have to take each album on a case by case basis to determine how much dynamic range compression and track bouncing occurs at the multitrack level and I'm not aware of very many examples we have multis of to assess.

Trent Reznor graciously released the full multis of NIN's Year Zero and The Slip and they have very little drc, you can actually create a DR12 version of those albums; the retail release is Year Zero scores a DR5. Blech.

1546444979504.png

If it’s as bad as their first 5.1 mix, then this new release will be a hard pass for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first thought too!!
As he don't get surround....if his previous release is anything to go by.
Perhaps he needs a mixer, like we saw Mr Wilson has, in a recent screen shot.

My first thought too!!
As he don't get surround....if his previous release is anything to go by.
Perhaps he needs a mixer, like we saw Mr Wilson has, in a recent screen shot.

if he'd like a mixer, i can recommend the Kitchen Aid me sister got us for Christmas. the situation with some of this stuffs a bit like Brexshit, is "no surround better than bad surround"...!? :devilish:

if he'd like a mixer, i can recommend the Kitchen Aid me sister got us for Christmas. the situation with some of this stuffs a bit like Brexshit, is "no surround better than bad surround"...!? :devilish:

Ooh I could add sooo much to your post on the fiasco rightly called Brexshit.
But I respect this sites non partisan views...
Just to say, your Mayor mirror's my views... in the New Eve's Firework Display.

You be cooking up all sorts of delights soon then...could have added some Larry Grayson asides there !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The fact that they're referring to it as a "stereo surround sound mix" isn't a good sign...

much better them quadramono surround mixes more my cuppa frappuccino! :coffee: funny, I don't remember PuffDubby's Björk mixes being PDuff and his own Spooky Toothache or whatever it was mix wasn't half bad..

if Six rates a QQ Poll Seven or less, we'll be at sixes and sevens..
and then i'll write the PDubster off as a bad dub lot!

Ooh I could add sooo much to your post on the fiasco rightly called Brexshit.
But I respect this sites non partisan views...
Just to say, your Mayor mirror's my views... in the New Eve's Firework Display.

You be cooking up all sorts of delights soon then...could have added some Larry Grayson asides there !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ooh i'm hoping to cook up a Larry Keyes side dish later, our Everard! an Eargasm with extra sauce! (fnarr! :p )

dedicated to TM the PM;
"shake it up,
shake it down,
shake it all around,
Euro Lady!"

:dance

"Attack Of The Grey Lantern" has an excellent surround mix and superb fidelity. Please PM me if you'd like to purchase the boxset. Only played once!

Back