DVD/DTS Poll Poco - Crazy Eyes [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Poco - Crazy Eyes

• Total voters
I have a stereo LP of Crazy Eyes (only Poco album I ever bought) and listened to it many times in the olden days. Although I much prefer 24 bit lossless, the 5.1 DTS sounds marvelous. A really discrete mix, no over-compression, and a tight, solid bass. As another poster mentioned, the title cut does seem drier than the vinyl, though I have not played it in a number of years so my memory is foggy on that aspect of the recording.

I got lucky and stumbled across a copy from Amazon Warehouse listed as "acceptable" for about $17.00. Turned out to be nearly like new except for missing the wrapper and a couple of cracks on the jewel case lid. Must have been something lost in the warehouse that just got inventoried. Small miracles do sometimes occur :)

I give it a '9' for music and mix, knocking off a point for not being lossless.

I have just received this via Amazon global store for a very reasonable price. I had heard Poco way back in the early 70's but didn't buy any of their music then. This is where this site has completely transformed my listening habits and musical awareness. Yes its DTS but to my ears its a very masterful, discrete recording. As others have said, its a pity these gems are not being released in a lossless format but I for one am pleasantly surprised by the surround effects from this very nice album. I vote a solid 9.
Oops forgot to add the band are still active and touring I wonder if any of our stateside members have seen them play lately, and if so what are their views on them?
http://www.poconut.org/#tour

Last edited:
It's a 10. This might be my favorite of all the DTS-CDs sourced from quad masters. I have the SQ LP as well, which decodes exceptionally well, but this takes it to the next level. The epic nine-minute title track is a surround spectacular.

If I could have one complaint about this disc, it's just don't like the album quite as much as Poco's other two studio quads (Seven and Cantamos). This leans more toward the "country" side of "country rock". There's just a bit too much banjo for my tastes.

The other thing that bugs me a bit (and someone pointed this out upthread) is that the guitar solo in "Here We Go Again" is totally buried. It's forgivable as most of these old CBS quads were rushed and done without the involvement of the original artist/production team.

It's interesting how some of these Miller-Nevada disc sound great (this one, Jasmine Nightdreams, Days Of Future Passed) and others leave a bit to be desired in terms of sound quality (Abraxas, Beck Bogert & Appice). Must come down to the masters they were supplied.

"Crazy Eyes":

"Here We Go Again":

Last edited:
Just received this from discogs...this might be my favorite of the Miller DTS discs sourced from quad masters. Excellent fidelity, super discrete mix (I have the SQ LP which decodes exceptionally well but this takes it to the next level), and nice content.

It's funny how some of these Miller discs sound great (this one, Jasmine Nightdreams, Days Of Future Passed) and others leave a bit to be desired in terms of sound quality (Abraxas, Beck Bogert & Appice). Must come down to the masters they were supplied.

A 10 from me. I wish Poco's other quads would see digital release, especially my favorite Seven.

No.
It was how much they got screwed with and Brads ears. I remember saving a couple by showing up, hearing the latest version and saying it needs this or that. He would sit for days listening to another slightly amped version and forget where the starting point was. Abraxas comes to mind. He would always want other ears on things to make sure he was on, but i think no one showed up on occasion.

Last edited:
No.
It was how much they got screwed with and Brads ears. I remember saving a couple by showing up, hearing the latest version and saying it needs this or that.

I hate to pry, but could you elaborate further on this? I understand from other posts you've made around the forum that Sony was providing DAT transfers of quad master tapes as sources for these discs, so I assumed something went wrong on their end or they just didn't put any effort in doing the transfers. And now you mention that Brad had hearing issues at the time which affected his mastering ability. It's a real shame so much got in the way of this great quad reissue program. Personally, I happen to like the Abraxas disc: it's much better than decoding the old SQ LP. Just needs a bit of a treble cut and bass boost IMO.

Anyway, Crazy Eyes sounds phenomenal and I'd like to sincerely thank you (and Brad Miller) for putting out all these great quad discs. I only wish you got to keep going and release more...

It's a 10. This might be my favorite of all the DTS-CDs sourced from quad masters. I have the SQ LP as well, which decodes exceptionally well, but this takes it to the next level. The epic nine-minute title track is a surround spectacular.

If I could have one complaint about this disc, it's just don't like the album quite as much as Poco's other two studio quads (Seven and Cantamos). This leans more toward the "country" side of "country rock". There's just a bit too much banjo for my tastes.

The other thing that bugs me a bit (and someone pointed this out upthread) is that the guitar solo in "Here We Go Again" is totally buried. It's forgivable as most of these old CBS quads were rushed and done without the involvement of the original artist/production team.

It's interesting how some of these Miller-Nevada disc sound great (this one, Jasmine Nightdreams, Days Of Future Passed) and others leave a bit to be desired in terms of sound quality (Abraxas, Beck Bogert & Appice). Must come down to the masters they were supplied.

"Crazy Eyes":
View attachment 38836

"Here We Go Again":
View attachment 38837
I don't have this one yet, but I thought it was 5.1, your pics are 4.0, so is this one of those that benefits from just deleting off the Center and LFE's?

https://www.discogs.com/release/4859024-Poco-Crazy-Eyes

Back