Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering what might have been mixed discretely in Atmos (or DTS-X or Auro 3D) that might drive me to set up height channels and a handful of object channels? I have zero interest if something originally 5.1 is merely adapted or upmixed to such a system. Is there a wild ride of a mix that is truly discrete and really works a 3D system?

You can try having a look at these 2 lists.

https://surround-sound.info/3d-sound/titel/?7&musik&15&3&7&7&3&all&alle&1&3&0&1
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/experience/dolby-atmos/bluray-and-streaming/music-titles-global.pdf

While they're not complete, you might like 50% of the music, 50% might sound good, so 25% might fill both criteria.

Ratings here on QQ don't seem to place a high emphasis on a discrete surround mix as this https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ane-hopes-and-fears-sacd-dualdisc-dvd-a.4134/ album shows. It's barely better than " All channel stereo " mode on your AVR (ie front copies to back) yet the average rating is 8/10. Unless you get comments saying something about discrete content or lack thereof (like comment #9 in that thread or Praise about Mando Diao here on page #5), it's probably not worth purchasing.

Not a fan of Roger's wall rehash even if the mix is compelling I'm afraid. Those synth bands could maybe get into some wild territory with the format. Not my style that much but either are the Flaming Lips and I enjoy their surround mixes. This is probably a slippery slope but does anyone have an Atmos/dts-x/auro mix they've ripped to MCH flac (with all the separate primary surround, height, and object tracks) that I could preview? (Look at in a DAW. Solo the various channels and that kind of thing. Basically tease me into buying stuff even if the music isn't maybe something I'd normally go after.) Or maybe there's a demo like that available somewhere?

There are numerous MAJOR problems with your request.

1. There are NO free public decoders for Atmos, DTSX, or A3D.
2. Commercial decoders are available, but cost thousands.
3. FLAC is limited to 8ch, but those formats above are 10+ch. (WV & WAV can store ~32ch btw)
4. A channel based formal such as FLAC cannot store object metadata

There are some Atmos & DTSX samples here, but they obviously require you to already have a working Atmos, DTSX decoder/AVR (which you don't)

https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#HD_Audio_Test_Clips

That link is everywhere, but again, not very discrete. See below.

Thank you Spock!! I'm really enjoying the mix as well as the music!!!
I'd say is an album with aggressively use of high channels!

I listened to this in 2D surround as I don't have a 3D surround system.

Sure, the speakers may be USED LOTS, but they aren't USED PROPERLY (ie, discretely). On my system, this sounds barely better than " All channel stereo " mode on your AVR. In fact, a PL2 or DSU upscale (from stereo) will probably sound better. If it doesn't sound discrete in 2D, I doubt 3D will be any better.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/32yytyyyq2dvw74/Amapola51g6.m4a/file

Have a listen to this 5.0 AAC. the speakers are used lots AND used properly. I did mix this in 3D, but again, as with #2, commercial encoders Also cost thousands.

Last edited:
I own a copy of R.E.M. Automatic For The People in Dolby Atmos. Is it worth my while to also get a copy of the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix on DVD-A?
If you are a fan of the album, both mixes are excellent and worth owning. The 2005 Scheiner mix is more faithful IMO to the original stereo mix vs the 2017 Atmos mix. My favorite song from the Atmos mix is Find The River. The backing vocals are quite prominent and enhances the song.

I own a copy of R.E.M. Automatic For The People in Dolby Atmos. Is it worth my while to also get a copy of the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix on DVD-A?

I have both. Trust me, with the new ATMOS release, you'll never listen to the DVDA.
Agreed. My DVD A is collecting dust. Atmos mix has so much happening.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I’m sure this happens now and then when there are alternate surround mixes.

The Who - Tommy and Rush - A Farewell to Kings are two others where the mixes are completely different. There are some others like Queen - A Night At the Opera that are a bit different but not drastically different. Stop Making Sense has two different mixes on the same disc but again, aren't that different...

The Who - Tommy and Rush - A Farewell to Kings are two others where the mixes are completely different. There are some others like Queen - A Night At the Opera that are a bit different but not drastically different. Stop Making Sense has two different mixes on the same disc but again, aren't that different...
Is that The Who Tommy DVD-A/SACD vs the BD?

James Murphy did two different mixes for the LCD Soundsystem’s “Shut Up And Play The Hits.” One mix was for the Audio-only experience and the other was to accompany watching the film.

Of course, DSOTM has one mix on the SACD, the same (James Guthrie 2003) mix in two different resolutions(one in hi res, one in CD quality) on the Immersion box and the Alan Parsons 2011 quad mix, also on the Immersion box.

Last edited:
James Murphy did two different mixes for the LCD Soundsystem’s “Shut Up And Play The Hits.” One mix was for the Audio-only experience and the other was to accompany watching the film.

Of course, DSOTM has one mix on the SACD, the same (James Guthrie 2003) mix in two different resolutions(one in hi res, one in CD quality) on the Immersion box and the Alan Parsons 2011 quad mix, also on the Immersion box.

Yes, the two DSOTM multichannel mixes are completely different! I will have to check out the LCD Soundsystem disc. I have always liked their style.

There are things I like about both mixes. I especially like the dynamics on the DVD-A. The drums really snap on a few of the tracks and are up front compared to the Atmos Mix where they sound pushed back and quite a bit soft on some tracks. I could go on but I wouldn’t want to ruin your experience.

Back