Big Phat Band - Act Your Age

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDJK

amazon.co.uk pre-order

What's going on with Mike and his great band? After 2 great DVD Audios they release one with just Dolby Digital and now there is only a Japanese version with the surround mixes for 33GBP (in the US they are asking 49$)?

And it's not even certain yet, that there will be Hi-Res lossless tracks on there.

Actually HDJK, we may be in luck!

Check the product page for the US release at Amazon. While it says that there is only one disc, the product information is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bonus DVD is loaded with great stuff that Gordon's fans expect from him including videos, interviews, commentary, band bios, games, "make your own mix", and the entire in stunning DVD quality 5.1 surround sound.

Bonus DVD includes:

o 5.1 SURROUND-SOUND VERSIONS OF ALL 12 TRACKS FROM THE CD/PHOTO GALLERY
o SOLO TRANSCRIPTIONS
o LIVE CONCERT FOOTAGE from New Hampshire 5/31/08. * "Hit The Ground Running" * "Watermelon Man" * "Licksmanship."
o TRACK BY TRACK COMMENTARY/PHOTO GALLERY
o A CONVERSATION WITH LEE RITENOUR, GORDON GOODWIN & DAN SAVANT/PHOTO GALLERY
o BIG PHAT JAM WINNERS from The Phat Pack online music contest
o MAKE YOUR OWN MIX of Hit The Ground Running and Gumbo Street o ON-SCREEN LINER NOTES o INDIVIDUAL BAND MEMBER BIOS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

While this may not be hi-rez, for $11 I think DD is worth it here just to have the surround mix. I absolutely love Big Band music, so this is a no brainer for me. I guess we just need to confirm that the Amazon.com listing is correct. They are known to have these descriptions screwed up, as we all know! For what it's worth, Best Buy.com and Buy.com both confirm 2 discs and Best Buy confirms the second disc is a DVD.

Thank you very much for pointing this out, I didn't even know they had a new album out! Gotta love the Big Phat Band!

Thanks again!
Josh

The official website confirms the CD+DVD set from Amazon.com (and even links to Amazon.com on their webpage). They do not verify the surround format.

Also, Tower.com is selling this for $10.44, what a deal! Not many surround-sound releases out there, so support this QQers! I'll confirm the format when my copy arrives. Once I get the DVD and confirm DD I'm going to write them a message requesting MLP DVD-Audio or at least DTS in the future, but thank them for even doing surround sound in the first place!

Enjoy!
Josh

Thanks for that (y)

I didn't even read the description because I thought for 11$ it couldn't be a 2 disc edition.

I absolutely love Big Band music, too and the BFB delivers! Even if it is only DD, it's better than nothing. I wonder though why they went from DVD Audio to DVD Video with DD for the last 2 albums. Swinging for the Fences and XXL were amazing DVDAs.

This great news, I love this band and hopefully a mod can fix this title, the band is Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band or The Big Phat Band. I don't know whether the musicians are fat or not but either way I don't think they want to be known as the Big Fat Band.

Chris

^^ Oops, you're right of course. But they are phat, though ;)

Seems like the mods are on top of things; it's already corrected (y)

Got the discs today. Housed in a digipak with two CD trays (not sleeves), but no booklet (the album information is printed on the inside of the digipak). Most importantly, the 5.1 surround IS in Dolby Digital ONLY. No, don't ask, I haven't played it yet. :) Time to write the band and ask for DTS and/or DVD-A.

Hope this helps,
Josh

Thanks for the info. I'm still not going to cancel my order, better DD than nothing. But it would be nice if they returned to their recent practice of releasing superbDVDAs.

Thanks for the info. I'm still not going to cancel my order, better DD than nothing. But it would be nice if they returned to their recent practice of releasing superbDVDAs.

I don't know what label they could use for DVD-A but Immergent/Silverline hasn't released a DVD-A in a couple of years to the best of my knowledge. This DVD-V is a rare release from the company and a surprise to me since I wasn't aware the company was still in business. Maybe AIX would welcome the band but they may have moved on from DVD-A to downloads and/or Blu-ray.

Chris

... Maybe AIX would welcome the band but they may have moved on from DVD-A to downloads and/or Blu-ray.

Chris

I'd be o.k. with Blu-ray as well :) I just need to replace my PS3 down the line, because right now with the fan noise it's not usable for music listening.

Just checked this out for the first time right now, and I think I like this better than 'Swingin' for the Fences'. I think this is the best DD down-rezzed version of anything I've ever heard! Damn! :love:

Back