Comments Inspired by Jethro Tull - HEAVY HORSES [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHughes

To Poll .png
This is a wonderful release, in fact these Tull re-issues have set the bar as far as content/packaging goes imho.

But (there's always a "but") - is it just me or does anyone else think that it's possible to tell Steven Wilson's favourite tracks by the overall quality of the surround mixes?

Luckily, his favourites seem to align closely with mine and they're all solid tens, but although the overall standard is very high it's not (to my ears) as consistently high as the best tracks e.g. Horses, Moths, Weathercock and a few others. This is a minor "gripe." In fact not even a gripe, more an observation, as I'm exceedingly grateful that he's still doing them in amongst his obviously stupidly busy schedule! Long may they continue and I hope he makes it as far as "Crest of a Knave" as that and "Beastie" are my favourites.

9/10
Has SW said what album he was planning on stopping at. I like"Crest" but A& Under wraps I do not know at all. Never bothered to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has SW said what album he was planning on stopping at. I like"Crest" but A& Under wraps I do not know at all. Never bothered to check them out.
I'm sure he said that Stormwatch would be the last, but I really hope he continues as I think he could work wonders on Under Wraps which has several great tracks but an awful repetitive drum sound.

...I think he could work wonders on Under Wraps which has several great tracks but an awful repetitive drum sound.
I think so, too. He has changed my opinion of other albums with his remixes, and I hope he could do the same with Under Wraps, my least favorite Jethro Tull album that I've heard yet containing one of my favorite fragments ("Under Wraps #2"). Ian cites the album and subsequent tour as his vocal peak, until something happened on stage one night.

Haven't heard this yet but one thing I can say is that I could just never get into this record. I 1st bought it at Woolworth's in 1979 or 1980 in the cut-out section and didn't like it then. I have tried to listen to it over the years when I am on a Tull kick and always turn it off. I love everything JT ever did up to it though and also like Stormwatch and some of A and some of Broadsword. Under Wraps is complete horseshit!! Maybe it's because it really leans too far on the Celtic sounds which I can only take so much of. Maybe the 5.1 will change my mind.

If you can get through the Celtic flavoring of "Songs from the Wood", sitting through "Heavy Horses" should be a cake walk in that regard.

Along with not digging the heavy Celtic sounds, the production always sounded too slick to me. I do love the title track and No Lullaby is ok too, especially the live versions.

Last edited:
This is another superb release in the series. I give it an enthusiastic 10. Heavy Horses holds a special place for me as it was my first "new" Tull purchase. I saw them live for the first time shortly after the release of Bursting Out. Prior to that concert Ian appeared on local radio. A friend and I went to the station and Ian was good enough to sign my HH album as he was leaving. Very exciting!

Still have my Canadian copy with Busting Out on the spine.

Ha! My US copy has the same mistake. :)

I love A and UW. I know it’s unlikely but I’d love if the Deluxe reissues kept going through those two.

Having bought Heavy Horses on LP when it was released 40 years ago it ranked right up there with Minstrel in the Gallery as my favorite Tull album. But listening to it now in surround I am made aware at just how great Ian's backing vocals are on Heavy Horses. Having Beltane in 5.1 is such a great bonus!

This was another one of those late '70s albums that got rushed during mixing with the lowered studio budget thing that was happening and then poorly pressed to vinyl. The dense mix the band was going for in their continuing evolution just got stepped on. All that has been magically corrected and this now properly shows the band's evolution at this point. And more than I ever imagined. Like hearing this album for the first time! And it's almost just as much fun to continue to get upgraded tracks for '20 Years of JT' piece by piece as these remixex/remasters come out.

I think these Jethro Tull sets are the best done re-releases out there. And this is another great one. I never owned this one back in the day and my awareness of the music came from the songs on Bursting Out and the later box sets. But I think it's a great album with a great mix and the extras and packaging are outstanding.

K

I was about to vote on this, but can see I've already voted it a 10! I wouldn't change that vote, I think it's one of the best mixes I've heard this year and I'd probably put it above the White Album and Electric Ladyland for the mix, I'd say it was probably my most played 5.1 mix this year. Like others I'd prefer a Blu-ray too, but the Tull DVD's are some of the best DTS discs I've heard...

I give it a “9”. It’s the best sounding set thus far. Probably mostly due to whatever technology they were using by 1978. It sounds the most modern. The mix is the usual SW excellence. And the packaging and value is superb.

Not my favorite Tull album is all. Although I like it very much. So a “9”.

Again excellent packaging ! so happy to have TULL in surround ! here is something a little off topic , when Bursting Out was first released I purchased it and noticed that on the front and record label it was titled "BURSTING OUT" but on the spine it said " BUSTING OUT" . Anyone out there ever notice this or still have a copy? I no longer have the Vinyl or I would have posted a photo !
P.S. Thanks Mr. Wilson !!!!
Did you mean this? :).

E0B39778-DC3E-4099-9383-12958172DB70.jpeg

Little back story I saw Jethro Tull in Central park NY for a $1. Think it was their first tour did not know anything about them but thought they were strange especially Ian tattered robe and foot on knee it definitely catches ones attention, I enjoyed them and for a buck! With Stand up I became an avid fan, like the mix of rock and renaissance and each CD the group and music evolved. I followed JT until Songs from the wood and then kind of lost Interest.

Along comes Steven Wilson and what could be better than JT in surround?. I bought everything up to Songs and thought that was enough. Recently I was reading about the release of Stormwatch and listened to excerpts and found I liked it so put in my pre order (What's up with Amazon US not carrying this?) Anyway it is ordered. I figured if I like what I heard on Stormwatch I might need to check Heavy Horses which I did and liked it also. I have no idea why I lost interest because this is not only a dam good surround it is classic Tull. I must of had a momentary lapse of reason is my only explanation or just insanity. I listened to this right after Abbey Road it holds up we'll and I like what Steven Wison magic touch did to this and kept my I interest from beginning to end. I will be listening to this again. If I had to describe my feeling on listening to Heavy Horses in surround it was full sound stage that surrounded me. Got to love that. 10

Back