What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one arrived this week that's yet to be released from its shrink wrap:

JS1.JPG

JS2.JPG

Somehow "La Voix De Son Maitre" sounds more distinguished than HMV!

I was given this Carpenter's LP today, I would suspect it’s been well played but there are no obvious scratches or spindle marks so I’m reasonably hopeful of a decent SQ experience:

Car1.jpg

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a copy of this record and had thankfully forgotten what the artwork was like. The inside of the gatefold carries two large illustrations of Richard and Karen:

Car3.jpg

Car4.jpg

These seem very incongruous in the context of the front and rear covers. They might be considered to be of a ‘naïve’ style but the less generous might just call them bad. They also manage to look slightly creepy (part Madam Tussauds, part Stepford Wives) – the one of Karen particularly so. I’ve no idea what the ‘art director’ was trying to achieve.

I was given this Carpenter's LP today, I would suspect it’s been well played but there are no obvious scratches or spindle marks so I’m reasonably hopeful of a decent SQ experience:

View attachment 33731

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a copy of this record and had thankfully forgotten what the artwork was like. The inside of the gatefold carries two large illustrations of Richard and Karen:

View attachment 33733

View attachment 33732

These seem very incongruous in the context of the front and rear covers. They might be considered to be of a ‘naïve’ style but the less generous might just call them bad. They also manage to look slightly creepy (part Madam Tussauds, part Stepford Wives) – the one of Karen particularly so. I’ve no idea what the ‘art director’ was trying to achieve.

would be interesting to see how you get on with it, I don't recall the SQ LP of this one decoding terribly well, though I had been spoilt perhaps by an excellent Japanese Quad Reel conversion and later even found the "lowly" Q8 I picked up an improvement on the SQ LP (and I've come to like SQ the last few years so it wasn't a format bias thing, i was practically willing the LP to decode well..!)

Ha , ha.

Got some "Hot Biscuit Slim " there Frederico . Let us know what she's ( der LP shelplatten ) like .

haha.. I don't know what any of it means Fizzy! :ROFLMAO:
(even the English stuff.. especially the English song titles!) but once I get my old Quad gear setup again I'll let you know how I get on, including zee kwalitee of der multikanal mixen schpriksen.!! who am I kidding, I don't know any German either! :geek:

edit: ps. I don't know how rare it is in Quad but I have had the hardest time finding the actual SQ LP of this one for sensible money the last few years.. this is, I think, the 4th time lucky! prior to this purchase every seller has sent the Stereo LP in error.. I almost gave up until one came up on eBay.de as a Buy It Now the other week with pix of - drum roll - the actual Quad sleeve! :unsure:

Last edited:
What was Super Space Stereo Sound - a Regular Matrix variant?

Hi. Soundfield

These Super Space Stereo Sound by Teichiku are QS why I say that is one of these LP`s had the Sansui QS symbol on a LP I put on here, further back on this Forum..
Found a LP label...........

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I’m a regular opera goer (brilliant comic performance by Bryn Terfel as Falstaff at Covent Garden last week btw) but have never seen Carpentier’s Louise which doesn’t seem to get an airing these days. Something of a shame as it's one of my favourite French operas – so finding a quad recording of it with a decent cast and still shrink wrapped was a particular delight:

CL1.jpg

CL2.jpg

would be interesting to see how you get on with it, I don't recall the SQ LP of this one decoding terribly well

Can't answer that yet fredblue as I'm still awaiting the return of my SM from its vinyl upgrade by our friends in Australia. I guess I could get my Sony SQD2020 or SQD2070 out of storage and rigged up but frankly in the grip of a remarkable British heatwave can't be bothered! I have also just acquired the other famous Carpenters LP to complete my set :

Car5.JPG

Do you think that this is also a poor quad example? I notice that neither were actually recorded as a quad sessions but were subsequently re-mastered - perhaps the reason for some of the problem?

Can't answer that yet fredblue as I'm still awaiting the return of my SM from its vinyl upgrade by our friends in Australia. I guess I could get my Sony SQD2020 or SQD2070 out of storage and rigged up but frankly in the grip of a remarkable British heatwave can't be bothered! I have also just acquired the other famous Carpenters LP to complete my set :

View attachment 33886

Do you think that this is also a poor quad example? I notice that neither were actually recorded as a quad sessions but were subsequently re-mastered - perhaps the reason for some of the problem?

the Now & Then and The Singles Quads are not the best but are not bad mixes at all but the SQ LPs (when decoded thru the SM) I felt didn't do the mixes justice.

when I put the Now & Then decoded SQ up against my Q8 of Now & Then and The Singles decoded SQ vs my Singles CD-4 I was quite surprised how much better the Q8 & CD-4 of each Quad panned out by comparison.

I also found a similar thing with Rick Wakeman's Six Wives Quad, the SQ didn't decode that brilliantly and for me paled in comparison to the Q8. just imho., others here may not share the findings.

the Now & Then and The Singles Quads are not the best but are not bad mixes at all but the SQ LPs (when decoded thru the SM) I felt didn't do the mixes justice.

when I put the Now & Then decoded SQ up against my Q8 of Now & Then and The Singles decoded SQ vs my Singles CD-4 I was quite surprised how much better the Q8 & CD-4 of each Quad panned out by comparison.

I also found a similar thing with Rick Wakeman's Six Wives Quad, the SQ didn't decode that brilliantly and for me paled in comparison to the Q8. just imho., others here may not share the findings.

Oh oh.
Might need a "Tate " decoder Freddums . Wakeman sounds very good imho via SQ .vs Q8 .

Back