Deluxe Edition of "Imagine" Coming Soon! (Remixed 5.1 and Remastered Quad audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's hope that if we do get a 5.1 surround mix of "Imagine" this year that it sells well and inspires Olivia and Dhani Harrison to put together a similar set for the 50th anniversary of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" in 2020!

(Plus if "Imagine" sells well, I hope Yoko Ono and company put together similar sets for "Mind Games" and "Walls & Bridges" too!)

:)

Let's hope that if we do get a 5.1 surround mix of "Imagine" this year that it sells well and inspires Olivia and Dhani Harrison to put together a similar set for the 50th anniversary of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" in 2020!

(Plus if "Imagine" sells well, I hope Yoko Ono and company put together similar sets for "Mind Games" and "Walls & Bridges" too!)

:)
Ryan - you nailed it.....I can't agree more! Woo hoo!!!

A person “in the know” over at SHF is hinting that the original quad mix will be made available as part of the Imagine reissue later this year.

Also, there won’t be a single super deluxe box set. You will be able to pick and choose from a variety of audio and video releases on various formats.

Not wanting to sound 'ungrateful' but will this be the same John Lennon [assisted] remix that was trashed by just about everyone....including those who have the Q8 or the SQ vinyl?

I personally think the quad mix is underwhelming, especially since only a few tracks are true quad (some are double stereo).

I did spring for the Universal IMAGINE BD~A when it came out a few years ago but was disappointed that it only contained the stereo mix. Wonder if the powers that be will tweak the 'original' Quad?

So, what IS your impression of the 4.0 of Imagine?

Well I rather like it . Musically it's a pretty good album but a couple tracks sound as if they were recorded on a cheap tape player .
I mentioned earlier I think there are some good quad tracks , the title, and Oh Yoko , for instance.
I had the first edition Q8 , and still have my SQ album (german pressing ). The quad vinyl was one of my regular rotation quads when I was playing quad lps through my Tate ( and even prior with my Sony decoder.).
The release of this quad disc in a modern format almost completes the SQ pop/rock titles (eight all told ) that have been reissued from the EMI vault . It makes seven of eight with Marvin, Welch , Farrar the lone holdout .
The titles released : Barclay James Harvest -Once Again , ELO -First Light , Deep Purple -Machine Head , Pink Floyd ---Atom Heart Mother , Dark Side Of The Moon , Wish You Were Here ,..............and now John Lennon - Imagine .

On a more wishful note , much like Ryan ,I would love some George Harrison..All Things Must Pass , and early Lennon .and perhaps we might see some via the Beatlesque engineer Giles Martin.

Well I rather like it . Musically it's a pretty good album but a couple tracks sound as if they were recorded on a cheap tape player .
I mentioned earlier I think there are some good quad tracks , the title, and Oh Yoko , for instance.
I had the first edition Q8 , and still have my SQ album (german pressing ). The quad vinyl was one of my regular rotation quads when I was playing quad lps through my Tate ( and even prior with my Sony decoder.).
The release of this quad disc in a modern format almost completes the SQ pop/rock titles (eight all told ) that have been reissued from the EMI vault . It makes seven of eight with Marvin, Welch , Farrar the lone holdout .
The titles released : Barclay James Harvest -Once Again , ELO -First Light , Deep Purple -Machine Head , Pink Floyd ---Atom Heart Mother , Dark Side Of The Moon , Wish You Were Here ,..............and now John Lennon - Imagine .

On a more wishful note , much like Ryan ,I would love some George Harrison..All Things Must Pass , and early Lennon .and perhaps we might see some via the Beatlesque engineer Giles Martin.

Regarding your last statement, I profess NOT to be a fan of Giles Martin's 'tepid' mixing style. I realize the remaining Beatles may be beholden to him because of their admiration for his father, Sir George, but having lived with QUAD/5.1 a great chunk of my life, I have certainly heard FAR FAR better remixes and IMO, Giles should listen to some of those great QUAD remixes of the 70's and take a page out of the Steve Wilson and Elliot Scheiner playbooks for further study!

Last edited:
Regarding your last statement, I profess NOT to be a fan of Giles Martin's 'tepid' mixing style. I realize the remaining Beatles may be beholden to him because of their admiration for his father, Sir George, but having lived with QUAD/5.1 a great chunk of my life, I have certainly heard FAR FAR better remixes and IMO, Giles should listen to some of those great QUAD remixes of the 70's and take a page out of the Steve Wilson and Elliot Scheiner playbooks for further study!

Well he's got his work with his pop on Love , so there's that.

And keep in mind those few he has under his belt are Movie ' soundtracks with little to offer anyways.

The lone surround title we have of George Harrison is not by him and is an ambient presentation.
It's still early and I for one would rather have him on board for surround promotion , rather than no one Beatleze.

Looking forward to The White Album .

I remember the original quads being pretty mono in addition to the trademark lo-fi sound form wall of mud guy. I'm not happy about the fidelity nose dive on that Sgt Pepper's 5.1 remix though either. The volume war hyped harshness is inappropriate. Having said that, Imagine could maybe only be improved even if it gets that treatment I think. Some of the Lennon songs oddly come across strong regardless of the fidelity and kind of make it a moot point. He's one of those kind of song writers. On the stereo (mono?) mixes anyway. The quad mixes seem to shine a spotlight on the lack of mixing work in a bad way. I suppose the layers of generation loss on the copies I've heard don't do them any favors either.

Well he's got his work with his pop on Love , so there's that.

And keep in mind those few he has under his belt are Movie ' soundtracks with little to offer anyways.

The lone surround title we have of George Harrison is not by him and is an ambient presentation.
It's still early and I for one would rather have him on board for surround promotion , rather than no one Beatleze.

Looking forward to The White Album .

Paul Hicks did [IMO] the wonderful discrete 5.1 remixes on Paul McCartney's THE McCARTNEY YEARS [3 DVDs] and if you really think Giles was the mastermind behind THE LOVE ALBUM, think again. Sir George was responsible for those incredible remixes....with an assist from Giles.

Yes, Harrison's LIVE IN JAPAN sucks, mix wise but Gile's work on the Criterion Edition BD~V A HARD DAYS NIGHT was double stereo, at best.

With 8 multitracks to work with on the Beatle's White Album, hopefully it will be a more adventurous remix.

Unlikely any of these albums will ever be remixed again so DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME and be done with it.

Thankfully, Paul Hicks will be involved with Lennon's IMAGINE. Great news indeed!

Last edited:
Wishful thinking of course , but it would be cool to have this Apple Quad emblem on the Lennon recording .

Excluse to Apple Quads fwiwV
20180717_160805.jpg

Back