3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything looks better on a massive screen but the newer LG OLED 3Ds are so spectacular they actually extend the parameters of the screen and envelop you.

What kind of 3D TV do you have.

hahah that's true. I have to check out the LG OLED 3D then. I don't have a 3D tv but once I saw it on display, I was like this thing will never fly. The last minute changes involved with these things are still annoying. Too many bugs. I'll give this technology another 50 years to mature. It's not like speakers or something which have been proven in many different fields.

Last edited:
hahah that's true. I have to check out the LG OLED 3D then. I don't have a 3D tv but once I saw it on display, I was like this thing will never fly.

I had an older 3D Panasonic Plasma TV and the image was so dark it was worthless. A German Group called Lichtmond has produced a series of 3D BD~Vs that are absolutely startling. In one a bright metallic silver orb comes to within inches of your face, does a 180 in perfect focus and goes slowly towards the screen. Its one of those WTF moments.

Ironically, they FINALLY perfect the technology for home viewing and then pull the plug. What else is new?

A German Group called Lichtmond has produced a series of 3D BD~Vs that are absolutely startling. In one a bright metallic silver orb comes to within inches of your face, does a 180 in perfect focus and goes slowly towards the screen. Its one of those WTF moments.
I like #1, but not enough to pull the trigger on 2 & 3 yet. Some day, probably.

Well I am taking a dip if not a plunge into 3D.

I recently bought an ASUS VG-23A 23" 3D monitor with passive glasses. My primary motivation is that my grandfather shot some of his photo archive in 3D, as in "Viewmaster" like still images, and I want to be able to easily see these in 3D. He shot my parents wedding that way!

I also have a small amount of 3D video content including the excellent Lichmond titles. I do not expect to go whole hog on this because I just do not watch that many movies, which is what alot of the content is.

That said, I have made a discovery through this process that may interest you all. I found a 3D museum in Maynard Massachusetts! The owner, Ron, has done the conversions of my Grandfather's slides, and they look great! In the meanwhile I have checked out his museum, and it is a thing of beauty! Anyone who has an interest in 3D would not be wasting time to make an effort to tour his place.

Here is a website - I have linked to his 3D movie reviews, but there is plenty more to explore:

https://www.studio3d.com/pages2/3d_movie_ratings.html

Enjoy!

Well I am taking a dip if not a plunge into 3D.

I recently bought an ASUS VG-23A 23" 3D monitor with passive glasses. My primary motivation is that my grandfather shot some of his photo archive in 3D, as in "Viewmaster" like still images, and I want to be able to easily see these in 3D. He shot my parents wedding that way!

I also have a small amount of 3D video content including the excellent Lichmond titles. I do not expect to go whole hog on this because I just do not watch that many movies, which is what alot of the content is.

That said, I have made a discovery through this process that may interest you all. I found a 3D museum in Maynard Massachusetts! The owner, Ron, has done the conversions of my Grandfather's slides, and they look great! In the meanwhile I have checked out his museum, and it is a thing of beauty! Anyone who has an interest in 3D would not be wasting time to make an effort to tour his place.

Here is a website - I have linked to his 3D movie reviews, but there is plenty more to explore:

https://www.studio3d.com/pages2/3d_movie_ratings.html

Enjoy!

Oh my...a 3D museum...wait until Ralphie sees this post:LOL:...he will be asking for driving instructions from the Big Apple:whistle:

Oh my...a 3D museum...wait until Ralphie sees this post:LOL:...he will be asking for driving instructions from the Big Apple:whistle:

Does this mean we'll be taking a ROAD TRIP, Clinty.....you can pick me up in the BIG APPLE and we'll 'jaunt' to Massachusetts and stop at Salem along the way to visit the Museum of Witchcraft.https://salemwitchmuseum.com

Actually, that museum sounds like a blast. At least someone is keeping 3D alive!:ROFLMAO:LG, why did you abandon us in our time of need?

Last edited:
A highly anticipated REAL 3D upcoming title is Steven Spielberg's virtual reality flick READY PLAYER ONE starring Tye Sheridan [Tree of Life] . Thankfully, I preordered the 3D steelbook version from Zavvi in the UK as it's currently SOLD OUT https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/ready...rsion-limited-edition-steelbook/11738215.html

Release date: August 6th. [3D/2D Steelbook version] https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/qk...42eb-893e-54ef59e8dd28/ready-player-one-1.jpg

Read the 2D review from blu~ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ready-Player-One-Blu-ray/202290/#Review

Last edited:
I just pre~ordered the 3D/2D Steelbook edition of Solo: A Star Wars Story from Zavvi in the UK and it's REGION FREE: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/solo-...usive-limited-edition-steelbook/11774073.html.

These very limited steelbook editions sell out fast and if you're not familiar with these beautiful steelbook editions.....they're FANTASTIC!

Unfortunately, SOLO was not natively shot in 3D so it will be an up conversion!

Last edited:
Last night I watched Steven Spielberg's latest flick READY PLAYER ONE in 3D and LOVED IT. It was an up conversion and while not the best I've seen, did expand the otherworldly landscape immeasurably but where Warners did screw up: They gave the 2D version a full Dolby Atmos soundtrack and 'cheated' 3D viewers with a DTS HD MA 5.1 surround track [48/16bit ?]

Spielberg paid ample homage to great flicks of the past and the recreation of the Overlook Hotel from the Shining was a highlight. Although the ending was predictable, it was a fun watch from beginning to end.

As a double feature, I also watched [in 2D], Jim Jarmusch's quirky revisionist western DEAD MAN featuring an A++ [Criterion] B&W transfer and a remastered Dolby Surround soundtrack [very discrete] with an equally quirky Neil Young Soundtrack!

Both come highly recommended.

Last edited:
Last night I watched Steven Spielberg's latest flick READY PLAYER ONE in 3D and LOVED IT. It was an up conversion and while not the best I've seen, did expand the otherworldly landscape immeasurably but where Warners did screw up: They gave the 2D version a full Dolby Atmos soundtrack and 'cheated' 3D viewers with a DTS HD MA 5.1 surround track [48/16bit ?]

Spielberg paid ample homage to great flicks of the past and the recreation of the Overlook Hotel from the Shining was a highlight. Although the ending was predictable, it was a fun watch from beginning to end.

As a double feature, I also watched [in 2D], Jim Jarmusch's quirky revisionist western DEAD MAN featuring an A++ [Criterion] B&W transfer and a remastered Dolby Surround soundtrack [very discrete] with an equally quirky Neil Young Soundtrack!

Both come highly recommended.

Dead Man rules! Do you have any tobacco? I don't have the Criterion Collection BD as my Sony only plays Region B. I just wanted to double-check if the audio on the CC BD is surround or DTS-MA 2.0?

I have the SODA Pictures BD and that has DTS-MA 2.0. Audio was fine but the picture started suffering from different tints to the black and white about halfway through. It'd start going green and other colours once Cole was stalking William Blake on his own. I also have the Madman BD and that picture is solid throughout with PCM 2.0 audio. I let the Yamaha do a DTS Neo 5.1 faux surround mix except during the opening credits with Neil Young's awesome main title. That gets cranked up in stereo on the Yamaha's Straight setting. Great flick.

Dead Man rules! Do you have any tobacco? I don't have the Criterion Collection BD as my Sony only plays Region B. I just wanted to double-check if the audio on the CC BD is surround or DTS-MA 2.0?

I have the SODA Pictures BD and that has DTS-MA 2.0. Audio was fine but the picture started suffering from different tints to the black and white about halfway through. It'd start going green and other colours once Cole was stalking William Blake on his own. I also have the Madman BD and that picture is solid throughout with PCM 2.0 audio. I let the Yamaha do a DTS Neo 5.1 faux surround mix except during the opening credits with Neil Young's awesome main title. That gets cranked up in stereo on the Yamaha's Straight setting. Great flick.

I have the older Mill Creek [read BUDGET] edition of Dead Man as well. It was dirt cheap- and not all that bad but the Criterion reissue is a revelation with extraordinary sharpness and color grading [yes, they color grade even for B&W]. I saw things I never saw before and it increased my enjoyment of the film immensely. The remastered Dolby Surround lossless track is amazing! My HIGHEST recommendation.

BTW, AmazonUK recently blew out the Universal 3D BD~V of The Best of 3D for £4.99. Over two a half hours of 3D. Some of it IS extraordinary [the outer space/underwater sequences] but there's also a lot of repetitiveness towards the middle. Still highly recommended for the first 3/4. It's also REGION FREE!

Excellent stuff! I wonder if ATV will offer Atmos on TV shows as well? Netflix/AmazonPrime do on some... Just watching Gillian Flynn's
Sharp Objects with Amy Adams. Has some excellent tunes primed for Atmos and what a show! 2 episodes to go.... It could be the stepdad who scarily enough is a massive audiophile?!

Back