The Band - Music From Big Pink (50th Anniversary CD/Blu-Ray/2LP/7" Deluxe Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...the fact that people are commenting on the hiss concerns me...my concern is not with the hiss...it's what a modern mastering might do to eliminate it...which means crushing the dynamic range...something I hate...
You're conflating two different disagreeable mastering practices/technologies. Excessive dynamic range compression won't do anything to reduce tape hiss. In fact, it may accentuate it. What will reduce tape hiss is digital noise reduction, which in its earliest days caused disastrous collateral damage to the musical content. It's better now, but still not perfect.

You're conflating two different disagreeable mastering practices/technologies. Excessive dynamic range compression won't do anything to reduce tape hiss. In fact, it may accentuate it. What will reduce tape hiss is digital noise reduction, which in its earliest days caused disastrous collateral damage to the musical content. It's better now, but still not perfect.

Actually you are right...I was conflating 2 different aspects of the mastering process...they are indeed separate functions...but I will say that although separate...when one is used in excess the other is usually present...even though there is no direct correlation... IMO...my experience leads me to expect the typical modern mastering result.. my statement wasn't meant to be a technical observation...just one based on my experiences...once you know who mastered a title you start to get an idea about what they might do...sometimes it's as much art as it is science..

Last edited:
Sadly I just can't bring myself to order these big boxes with vinyl and other useless stuff :( I'm sure you folks will let me know if it's an utterly fantastic mix.

I understand how you feel...especially concering the vinyl....as I don't have a turntable...I was prepared to sit this one out...but the amazon price drop lured me back in...this is one of those purchases I make based on the people involved in mixing and mastering...Bob Clearmountain is the reason I'm in on this one...but the other Bob(Ludwig)is going to be just as important....his mastering can make or break this title....but for $82 delivered...it's worth the risk for me...even if it's a total flop.

The cover of the current Goldmine shows the album with two striking pink vinyl LP's hanging out of the jacket, but I don't see any reference to those anywhere else. Does anyone have the story? Is that for a Super Limited Box? (stop with the boxes already!)

The cover of the current Goldmine shows the album with two striking pink vinyl LP's hanging out of the jacket, but I don't see any reference to those anywhere else. Does anyone have the story? Is that for a Super Limited Box? (stop with the boxes already!)

Yes there is a 2 LP Pink Vinyl Edition HERE...it's a limited edition with only 1,000 copies available worldwide here is one vendor....and here is another

Last edited:
I have to admit, even though I have no interest in getting into vinyl (too much work, too many pops and crackles), the one thing about these releases that makes my mouth water is COLORED VINYL! :LB

I am in a similar position...love the thought of vinyl...but don't really want all the headaches(pops and crackles and just bad copies)but what I miss the most is the artwork on the covers...aside from the obvious pleasing appearance...it brings back memories of when I had a turntable....those covers made excellent "seed sorters"...you just put your weed on the covers...once you broke up the clumps...and tilt the covers and gravity did the rest...the seeds just rolled downhill:D

Back