What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow.....I am in awe of your collecting...I think you have enough for a quad museum by now.....
You and FREDBLUE should open one up.....:)

Yes good idea,
Your to modest fredy you could be in charge of the modern Surround disc formats and I could look after the vintage Quad LP & tape format '' mmmmm''' I wonder if there would be $$$$$$ to be made.....:cool:

Hi. All

I am the one how won the Auction a couple of weeks ago for 23 Quad Reel to Reels on this Japanese Auction site I did not say anything at the time, until I received them in the mail, the total cost in US$ was $1,131 that`s about $49.00 per. tape Reel.
I am very happy for what I got, out of the 23 tapes 14 where factory sealed & 9 where opened and they looked like they where used very sparingly they where like mint, and most of the type of tape was used was Maxell duplication tape which has no knowing failure rate like some of the US made Quad Tapes.

( CBS. Q4 SOTF 42502J -Battle Of Top Jazz Orchestras : factory sealed )-
( CBS. Q4 SOTF 42501J -Papa Daddy Jack De Johnette )-
( Toshiba. Q4 XA-1504Z -The World Of Screen Themes : factory sealed )-
( Toshiba. Q4 XA-1503Z -The World Of Bacharach Sounds Count Buffalo & His Big Band : factory sealed )-
( King. Q4 4CH-1 -??? Japanese )-
( King. Q4 4CH-3 -Bach Organ Recital-Schwenkedel Organ 1970 : factory sealed )-
( King. Q4 4CHD-5 -??? Japanese )-
( King. Q4 4CHD-6 -??? Japanese )-
( King. Q4 4CHD-7 -Shoji Suzuki & His Rhythm Aces )-
( Victor. Q4 4CHB 5001 -??? Japanese : factory sealed )-
( Victor. Q4 4CHB 5003 -??? Japanese : factory sealed )-
( Victor. Q4 4CHB 5004 -??? Japanese )-
( London. King Q4 4CHA(9L)7 -Werner Muller Live In Tokyo : factory sealed )-
( London. King Q4 4CHA(L.J)8 -Buddha-Stomu Yamash`ta : factory sealed )-
( London. King Q4 4CHA(L)11 -Film Spectaculer / The Epic 1974. : factory sealed )-
( London. King Q4 4CHA(L)12 -Moonlight Party/Norman Candler 1974. : factory sealed )-
( London. King Q4 4CHA(L)13 -An Evening With Mantovvani 1974. : factory sealed )-
( Vanguard. King Q4 4CHA(v)3 -Buffy Sainte-Marie Illmination 1971 : factory sealed )-
( Project3. King Q4 4CHA(P)4 -Enoch Light & The Brass Menagerie 1971 : factory sealed )-
( A.M King Q4 4CHA6 -Burt Bacharach Live In Japan 1971 : factory sealed )-
( United Artists. King Q4 4CHA(U)9 -Francis Lai In Japan 1971 : factory sealed )-
( A.M King Q4 4CHA(M)-15 -Now & Then/Carpenters 1974. )-
( Riverua. King Q4 4CHA(R)-16 -Raymond Lefevre In Concert 12th. 16th. 1972 )-

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
IMG_2709.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2707.JPG
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
IMG_2725.JPG
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
IMG_2722.JPG
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Bill - Snooopid question - but always wanted to know :unsure: About to show Snood noobyness

But man all these are 40ish years old - is there ever any like stickyness or just like packing tape peeling (u know like like packing tape sometimes starts to tear in the middle) of the reel? With all the problems of maintaining 8 tracks or cassettes even......

Always wondered :unsure: and Thanks :LB

Hi. Snood.....:unsure:

In general tapes 40 years old are in reasonable condition still play good some do have a big problem of sticky syndrome or squeaky syndrome where the tape passes over the tape head starts to squeak and goes through the amp, I have a temporary fix for this not sticky tapes just squeaky syndrome some time I`ll give my secret to ALL.
It`s to do with tape formula they developed a new formula for new tape AMPEX was one of the main companies to develop this new formula & Sony-Scotch etc.. had a similar formula which after a year or 2 of production it developed this problem and a lot off studios lost master tapes in this manner the tape could not be used lost for ever :mad::mad:
I hope this clears up some of your concern...........:LB

:unsure:Hmmmmm a lil bit - Hope u share your Reel secrets with those that post in this thread - at least PM them for sure. Just want to keep the dream alive :QQlove

Thank you for all the info you put up - it way over me head but still fascinates me :LB

:unsure:Hmmmmm a lil bit - Hope u share your Reel secrets with those that post in this thread - at least PM them for sure. Just want to keep the dream alive :QQlove

Thank you for all the info you put up - it way over me head but still fascinates me :LB

I will pass on my secret snood.......soon, just have to do some diagrams and take some photos to explain things.......:geek:

Hi. All
I said I would let you into my secret of eliminating squeal that is picked up through the Erase Head of your tape recorder.

why`ill the tape is in play mode the squeal sound is transposed to your amp with the music and it comes unbearable to listen to.

So I came up with the idea of lifting contact with the erase head with felt the type of felt that you use with 8 track cartridge this method is only temporary , this is to allow you to re record the music to anther tape recorder or save it to a computer that has a 2 or 4 channel inputs.

Remember this is for a tape that squeals, dont get mixed up with sticky tape syndrome that is a different matter they say you could bake these tapes in a fruit dryer at a fixed temperature & time never tried this method they say it works for a short time to re record what is on the tape..

The photos show the position of the felt on my tape player it should work for any tape machine for tape that has this problem..
I have tried this and it definitely works..
Bill.......

IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2798.JPG

By the way I personally only use MAXELL Tape to record to..............

Last edited:
@bigbillquad that's an amazing haul of King QR tapes, do you mind if I steal some of the pictures (and info) for the King QR info thread I started?

Also, if you have a last will and testament, please consider naming me as the beneficiary of your Q8/QR collection! :giggle:

Hi. steelydave

Fell free to.
I think what you are doing is fantastic and you should get a medal for what you do, the time you put in and thorough investigating you do.

mmmmmm............:unsure:

Fell free to.
I think what you are doing is fantastic and you should get a medal for what you do, the time you put in and thorough investigating you do.

mmmmmm............:unsure:

Thanks Bill, I'm sure I'll get that Grammy for liner notes one of these days... ;)

I was just going through your pictures and updating the other thread, and I noticed that you didn't post pictures of one of the tapes, it's one of the Japanese ones with catalog number 4CHD-6. Any chance you could do some pictures of it at some point?

Hi. All

I got some more Q8 the other day I forgot about, there were a couple of BIG Auctions at the time I was biding on and WON.......:dance:LB:dance:SG
So I will tell ALL when I have THEM in my hot little hands YOU ARE GOING TO BE SEPRISED......

( UA. Q8 UA-DA178-H -The World In A Ghetto -WAR- )-
I have got this Q8 in a white case this has a Gold case I liked :giggle:

( CBS COLUMBIA. Q8 CAQ-32871 -Mott The Hoople " THE HOOPLE " )-
( CBS COLUMBIA. Q8 CAQ-33417 -Weather Report The Spinnin )-

WAR.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
Untitled_Panorama2.jpg

Last edited:
Back