Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a movie for Beatles purists but the 4K version of Julie Taymor's "Across The Universe" is stunning with a lovely ATMOS mix. I've always liked the way the Beatles' songs have been used to create the storyline while remaining relatively faithful to the originals but the new mix rally opens everything up. The Secret Machines version of "Flying" used over the end titles is a particularly trippy experience with a very involving surround mix. Well worth watching if you enjoy "Love".

And it's Native UHD 4K [from 4K masters]. I've had it for a few months and am really anticipating watching it. Great movie. Wish I had ATMOS.

A Warning of sorts has been posted at AmazonUS [under reviews] regarding the October 30th release of what I consider the much anticipated UHD 4K release of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. It seems that Christopher Nolan and Warner Brothers have 'tampered' with the original color scheme of the original, as well as the audio and actual photos have been posted on Amazon's review section for your perusal.

Prior to pre~ordering, I would pay particular attention to the reviews of the ACTUAL UHD 4K remaster prior to ordering.

\https://www.amazon.com/2001-A-Space...65953&creativeASIN=B07B12HNJW&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

A Warning of sorts has been posted at AmazonUS [under reviews] regarding the October 30th release of what I consider the much anticipated UHD 4K release of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. It seems that Christopher Nolan and Warner Brothers have 'tampered' with the original color scheme of the original, as well as the audio and actual photos have been posted on Amazon's review section for your perusal.

Prior to pre~ordering, I would pay particular attention to the reviews of the ACTUAL UHD 4K remaster prior to ordering.

\https://www.amazon.com/2001-A-Space...65953&creativeASIN=B07B12HNJW&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Why is Christopher Nolan involved with this in any way? I get it, Kubrick's dead and can't oversee the restoration so they just decided to pick Nolan to handle it?

Knowing that Nolan is a die-hard 5.1 only fan I guess that means NO Atmos for this release, which is a crime since all "space" movies should be presented in a surround "space" for optimal effect.

Stop fukin' with the classics people!

Why is Christopher Nolan involved with this in any way? I get it, Kubrick's dead and can't oversee the restoration so they just decided to pick Nolan to handle it?

Knowing that Nolan is a die-hard 5.1 only fan I guess that means NO Atmos for this release, which is a crime since all "space" movies should be presented in a surround "space" for optimal effect.

Stop fukin' with the classics people!

Perhaps the Ghost of Stanley Kubrick in retribution for tinkering with 2001 will turn Christopher Nolan's DUNKIRK into Beach Blanket Bingo II! https://beachmovies.files.wordpress...go8x10-copy-photo-g2027921-e1442666881905.jpg:ROFLMAO:they're coming to take away our virginity!

Last edited:
Based on this article, I would have no problem purchasing 2001 on UHDBD.

That’s if I liked the movie in the first place. :ROFLMAO:

Nice article and NO doubt the VERY best way to 'experience' 2001 is via 70mm projected in a state of the art theater......which is how I experienced it twice, upon its release....along with Lawrence of Arabia and Apocalypse Now!

Whether it translates well in 2018 even on TRUE UHD 4K with modern audiences raised on Star Wars, Star Trek and modern state of the art CG~laden effects movies shown in 3D on modern IMAX screens with 56 channels of Dolby Atmos swirling around your head is ANYONE'S GUESS. They might be better served watching re~runs of the hit TV series LOST in SPACE!

Since film scholars attribute Kubrick's 2001 as THE genesis for almost every space 'western'/epic ever concocted since it's premier, and/or whether you or the millennial crowd will warm up to its super slow, almost lethargic pacing, remains to be seen.

Even upon its original release, 2001 equally divided critics and filmgoers alike and to be honest, the first time I did see it, I wasn't an instant fan. It took that second viewing to convince me that Kubrick indeed created something VERY special! But then is THEN and now is NOW!

Last edited:
Thanks for the article link and the heads-up. I haven't made the 4K upgrade yet but 2001 is one step closer for me. Once The Shining/Barry Lyndon/Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and a bunch of my other faves are available, I'll probably budge. Or if my TV dies before then.

I remember the first time I saw 2001 on BD and noticed what looked like roller strokes in a painted background in the beginning with the apes. On DVD, the illusion that the background was actually way off in the distance hadn't been shattered. Oh well, not a biggie for me.

I ain't no slobbering Nolan fan (although I liked The Prestige) but glad to hear someone with his clout is working on it.

Anyone remember years ago when they announced that they'd "found" 45 minutes of unseen 2001 footage and there was talk about restoring it? I got the impression that Spielberg may have been involved but it doesn't sound like anything came of it.

Last edited:
Anyone remember years ago when they announced that they'd "found" 45 minutes of unseen 2001 footage and there was talk about restoring it? I got the impression that Spielberg may have been involved but it doesn't sound like anything came of it.

As far as I know, it's only about 20 minutes and consists of material that was in the premiere version but cut by Kubrick himself within days.

I'd very much love to see it, but the Kubrick estate appears to have no interest in allowing it. Though I'm not criticizing them as they're just following Kubrick's wishes.

As far as I know, it's only about 20 minutes and consists of material that was in the premiere version but cut by Kubrick himself within days.

I'd very much love to see it, but the Kubrick estate appears to have no interest in allowing it. Though I'm not criticizing them as they're just following Kubrick's wishes.

Thanks for the info. I read something similar about how The Shining was cut while it was still in cinemas, so if you saw it brand spanking in 1980 in certain locations, you would have seen bits that most of us haven't. Glad the BD finally made the US version (longer) available to us NZers. Up until then, only the ~25 minute shorter release was available for purchase down here. Then you'd remember how you watched it on TV in the 80's sitting about a foot away from a 14" Thorn portable telly with a handle on top and thought, "wasn't there a bit with Wendy and some skeletons?"

Thanks for the info. I read something similar about how The Shining was cut while it was still in cinemas, so if you saw it brand spanking in 1980 in certain locations, you would have seen bits that most of us haven't. Glad the BD finally made the US version (longer) available to us NZers. Up until then, only the ~25 minute shorter release was available for purchase down here. Then you'd remember how you watched it on TV in the 80's sitting about a foot away from a 14" Thorn portable telly with a handle on top and thought, "wasn't there a bit with Wendy and some skeletons?"

The Shining is really an odd one. There was a scene at the end (after Jack's death) that allegedly made audiences giggle and was soon removed. But beyond that, as you hint, there's an official version in other parts of the world that's drastically shorter than what's now the standard US cut: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/alternateversions.

It seems like MOST of Kubrick's work was revised at one time or another:
  1. Spartacus: Numerous length and censorship cuts after the premiere. Additional reissue cuts circa 1966 because the Church didn't like the shots of Spartacus on the cross. The restored version includes bits that were never originally shown.
  2. Lolita: Short censorship cut for the US version.
  3. Dr. Strangelove: Kubrick removed a pie fight near the end well before general release. Can't remember if it was there for any previews.
  4. 2001: Kubrick shortened it and added at least one intertitle for clarity.
  5. A Clockwork Orange: Premiered in the US with an X rating, was slightly trimmed to get an R, but allegedly the video versions for years have been the original cut.
  6. Eyes Wide Shut: Censored in the USA without Kubrick's participation as he was no longer alive. Other slight alterations since.

Another current [2018] NETFLIX nail biter: The Ritual, wherein four Brits bittersweetly celebrating the loss of one of their friends who was the victim of a liquor store robbery gone awry, wander into the Swedish forests on a camping trip only to encounter untold HORRORS.

As usual, a top flight production with good use of the surrounds.

Highly Recommended.

Back