DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - STAND UP [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - STAND UP

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
The issue about some low volume vocals on a few tracks goes back to the original 1969 stereo mix, which Mr. Wilson was referencing for his remixes. What I did was just adjust the front Eq a little to push Ian's voice up a bit, but not so much as to distract.

To balance that, there is a lot of fun to be had here and there that you might not expect. For example, on "Nothing Is Easy," near the end during Ian's flute flourishes, there are some old time quad speaker-to-speaker panning effects that would bring you right back to the '70s and the 'gimmicky' way of mixing to impress new listeners to the idea of 'music all around you'. I had to smile at that, and there are other touches on occasion that tell us that this was mixed by someone who knows, well, their quad shit....:banana:

ED :)

Well well well. I see they have a disclaimer on the package now about some hardware standalone DVD & bluray players not being able to fully decode the dts2496 format (and defaulting to a core dts decode). Mind you they're still only releasing this in dts 2496 on this disc though!

Well well well. I see they have a disclaimer on the package now about some hardware standalone DVD & bluray players not being able to fully decode the dts2496 format (and defaulting to a core dts decode). Mind you they're still only releasing this in dts 2496 on this disc though!

There is no core track on a dts dvd. Some players don't handle the full 24/96 and downsample to 48khz however.

Voted a 9'er though it sounds Absolutely Fabulous to me, has never sounded better, and though I have no problems with DTS, specifically the 24/96 variety as my OPPO and Onkyo decode it just hunky dory there is much that is newer now available in higher resolution formats that I feel should readjust the way I vote some of my reviews, I mean they can't all be 10s can they? Anyhoo having said that due to the fact that I LOVE the music so much means that I may very well like it, aesthetically, more than some that I think technically sounds better. So a 9 creeping up on a 10 via the love of the music. So mote it be.

Love it, love it, love it. My second fav JT album after Aqualung (so predictable, right) and so glad this one finally got the 5.1 treatment. For me - a wonderful treat all the way through, while remaining true to the tone and spirit of the original. Very nice indeed... And, as usual, the booklet is just so engrossing, and nice that Glenn got his due in the essay about his life and times. Another stunner!

Just addicted to Glenn's bass on Bouree. What a stunning surround version of that wonderful track - so familiar and so many little pieces to hear afresh, clearly as if for the first time. Maybe for the first time?!

SW did a great job on this 5.1 mix. But anyone else notice that the bass on 'Driving Song' is WAY louder than on the rest of the tracks??

The vocals are 'recessed' on the original studio mix of A New Day Yesterday too -- that's the way it was intended to be heard. The flat transfer demonstrates it (it also 'decodes' nicely to 'surround' with DPLIIx, the phased guitar especially)

I'm not a big fan of Glenn Cornick's tubby bass tone and always thought his decision to play fast double-stops in Bouree was ill-advised. But on the 5.1 mix he's gotten the best presentation of it. I noticed too that he's on the left on the album version, on the right in the 'Morgan mix'. The solo might be different too?

Solid 9 for me and not a 10 simply because I'm new to the polls and don't want to start handing out 10s left and right. This entire package is fantastic and hearing Bourre properly cranked in 5.1 is literally worth the price of admission alone!

A key point is that this is one of the most faithful (to the stereo source) 5.1 mixes we may ever hear.

Another is that this is one of Tull's best and, I think, one of their most pop friendly. BENEFIT comes close, and despite its dour nature, AQUALUNG has impressive passages. STAND UP is a convivial, friendly affair, and I've never tired of hearing it.

ED :)

Not my favourite Tull album. So for the music it's down to an 8 for me.. I can't give everything I like a 9 or 10. Need some separation from my very favourites. Still an excellent package as are all the Tull releases to date. Bring on Heavy Horses.

I've been backtracking lately and picking up the Tull releases I've missed before they go away forever. This is the latest one to arrive. I gave it a 9.

I need to give it a few more listens, but so far I'm very impressed! I was really curious how this one would turn out surround-wise, as it's the earliest of their albums to get a surround remix (1969!).

Stylistically, it's less folk and more of a blues/rock sound. There are some great tracks and some excellent guitar work on this one. It's also quite a bit sparser that later Tull albums, and some of the stereo mixes scream "early stereo", with vocals panned hard to one side.

Given that the album was originally recorded to eight tracks, SW probably had to shake up his approach here and it shows. There is a lot more panning action than usual, but as someone who really enjoys old quad mixes it works for me. If they did a quad remix of this back in the day, I think it would've turned out very similar to what we ended up getting here.

As others have mentioned, "Bourre" is a surround highlight, but "Back To The Family" ended up being the standout track for me. I love how the guitar solo bounces back and forth between the rears at the end :)

"Back To The Family":

"We Used To Know" (you can "see" the flute circling the room at around 1:10):

Last edited:
So, I went online and found somewhere that was selling this set for $30, so I bit. It came in today, and I was initially surprised at how light it was. Turns out, it’s a counterfeit! They photocopied the outside and tossed the discs in some cheap plastic inserts with no inner booklet and called it a day. I’m kind of flabbergasted, I didn’t expect these to be high enough profile to make fakes.

Hi folks! Seeing this post made me want to register and make my first post. I also bought Stand Up and Minstrel in the Gallery from a vendor named Blueknobs Booth off of the Bonanza website for about 30$ each. Pibroch is correct. The CD's look legit, but there is no book. I'm gonna take them home and give them a listen. If the CD's/DVD's are legit I may just keep them, cuz I really am just interested in the music.

I've been reading the QQ forums and polls for about 6 months now and have been spending WAY too much money on out of print surround titles. Looking forward to putting in my 2 cents every now and then! Thanks guys! And gals!
IMG_0874.jpg

Yeah I opted to keep mine for a $6 refund but I’m pretty annoyed it’s counterfeit. They said they didn’t know about them being fake.

Are you guys sure they're fakes and not just overstock without the books? They sure look good for fakes. With a sell price of $30, it doesn't seem to me that it would be worth it to duplicate them so well - these are not just jewel boxed discs, that book housing has to cost some money on it's own - and then doing the graphics.

Just a thought.

They’re garbage quality. The discs look photocopied even though they’re pressed. If EMI is doing this and making a cheaper version they’re ripping people off when the original was $35 to begin with.

They’re garbage quality. The discs look photocopied even though they’re pressed. If EMI is doing this and making a cheaper version they’re ripping people off when the original was $35 to begin with.

Well, they don't look bad in the pictures. :) It's still amazing what these bootleggers will go through to make a few bucks.

Back