Any way to digitally record cd-4 discrete quad albums ??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance7489

I'm brand new to the forum & I'm sure this subject has been discussed previously, but what is the best way to digitally record all my discrete CD-4 albums ? I currently use an akai 4 channel reel to reel deck to accomplish this, but there must be a better way to digitally do this. All MP3 formats are strictly stereo (no quad or 4 channel). Are there any "stand alone" 4 channel digital decks, something like maybe a musician would use ? I need 4 channels in & 4 channels out (like my old school reel to reel). Everything I've seen on line has 4, 6, 8 channel inputs BUT mixes the final outputs to 2 channel stereo. .... Any ideas ????

Welcome!

There's a lot of these MIDI devices out there that take four channels in and put out USB. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UM..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Q355KJKGHJP94VDMRC35

You can record the 4 channels out of your vintage quad gear (be it a Q8/Q4 tape deck, CD-4 Demod, SQ Decoder, etc) at 96/24 with a DAW program like Adobe Audition, Sound Forge, ProTools, etc. You can add all kinds of NR to the tapes to clean up the hiss, rearrange swapped channels, and finally you could save the finished product in a variety of file types that support multichannel, such as .WAV, .FLAC, .ALAC, .DTSWAV, .AC3, etc. Or you could burn a DVD-Audio disc or a DTS-CD. Most members here use FLACs for digital storage.

There's a whole section of the forum devoted to conversions: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?forums/dts-conversion-forum.18/

Feel free to dive into some old posts...and again, welcome!

How do you play it back on you "vintage quad reciever". Do you need your computer everytime you want play anything back ?

Also, unfortunately, I'm not at all "tech literate" when it comes terminology. I have no idea what 96/24, DAW means. I was a holdout in learning about MP3's until about 2 years ago. I only know how to rip cd's onto my computer (converting them to stereo mp3s) & then to a flash drive or burn them onto a CD for playback in the car. Beyond that, I know nothing. I do know A TON when it comes to vintage audio equipment & was just hoping to find a modern day replacement for my 4 channel reel to reel. I have a lot of friends who are musicians & remember in the late 80's them using a 4 channel cassette deck (tascam I believe). I just thought there might be some sort of similar digital recording device that can record & playback 4 channels, storing the music on a SD card or flash drive. I would really prefer a "stand alone" unit (even if it costs more), rather than have to use my computer as part of the playback or music storage.

I did look at the "Behringer" piece, but only see "stereo" (2 channel) outputs, so I'm not sure where to go with it as far as getting 4 discrete output channels.

Last edited:
I did look at the "Behringer" piece, but only see "stereo" (2 channel) outputs, so I'm not sure where to go with it as far as getting 4 discrete output channels.

The 2 channel out is for if you want to use it as a mixer. Say you're working with a live four piece band (drums/bass/guitar/vocals): it will mix them down to stereo and you can alter the level of each instrument with the level knobs. But that's not what we're using it for here.

I guarantee you it passes discrete four channel through the USB output. I've used it to backup tons of Q8 tapes and quad LPs. Yes, you're gonna need a PC and there is a bit of learning curve, but it's worth it.

The 2 channel out is for if you want to use it as a mixer. Say you're working with a live four piece band (drums/bass/guitar/vocals): it will mix them down to stereo and you can alter the level of each instrument with the level knobs. But that's not what we're using it for here.

I guarantee you it passes discrete four channel through the USB output. I've used it to backup tons of Q8 tapes and quad LPs. Yes, you're gonna need a PC and there is a bit of learning curve, but it's worth it.
OK, with the Behringer 404, if you could guide me through the setup. I imagine it would start with your quad output source (cd-4 demodulator, Q8 track player etc) plugging into the Behringer. I see no "rca" inputs so I imagine you would have to get 4 adapters (rca to ??). You then plug the Behringer into your laptop via USB cable, correct ? At this point, does the Behringer come with its own software, or do you have to purchase that separately ? Does the 4 channels of music get stored on the Behringer, or does it end up being stored on your computer as some sort of audio file ? (my guess is the computer). I'm pretty much with you up to this point, but here's where I get confused. How do you playback these 4 channel audio files on your vintage quad equipment ?? I would need 4 RCA outputs from the computer (right front, left front, right rear & left rear). How would I accomplish this ?

imagine it would start with your quad output source (cd-4 demodulator, Q8 track player etc) plugging into the Behringer. I see no "rca" inputs so I imagine you would have to get 4 adapters (rca to ??).

On the back of the unit on the far right there are four 1/4 inch headphone jacks labeled "inserts". Your vintage quad source goes into those- you'll need four 1/4 inch to RCA adaptors. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/ZTOP-Audio-Molded-Female-Adapter/dp/B01AI07KMM/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1537388192&sr=1-23&keywords=1/4+headphone+to+rca

You then plug the Behringer into your laptop via USB cable, correct ?

Correct

At this point, does the Behringer come with its own software, or do you have to purchase that separately ?

The ASIO drivers I believe are on the behringer website. It does come with this very basic audio software called "tracktion" that will record your 4 channels at once. I ended up using Adobe Audition 3 instead, which I believe can still be downloaded for free. Info about that is in another thread I have to go fishing for, so we'll get back to that.

Does the 4 channels of music get stored on the Behringer, or does it end up being stored on your computer as some sort of audio file ? (my guess is the computer).

The 4 channels are passed from your quad unit through the behringer, where it's converted from analog to digital, and then through the USB into your computer. I usually record my tape/LP as one big gapless chunk. Once you're done recording, you have to export it to a type of audio file that supports multichannel sound. As I said before, most members here use .FLAC. FLACs are popular because they offer high defintion (lossless) sound, are easy to convert to, and supported by various software and hardware.

I'm pretty much with you up to this point, but here's where I get confused. How do you playback these 4 channel audio files on your vintage quad equipment ?? I would need 4 RCA outputs from the computer (right front, left front, right rear & left rear). How would I accomplish this ?

There are a number of ways you can do this. Here's my way:

First thing you need is an open-source music program that plays back the multichannel files. Foobar2000 is popular if you're on PC (https://www.foobar2000.org/). Vox is a good one for Mac (https://vox.rocks/mac-music-player). VLC media player is super basic but will do it as well.

Next, you need an external USB device that will pass the multichannel signal out of your computer into 4 RCAs that you plug into your receiver. Basically the opposite of the behringer unit. This goes from USB to 4 channels of RCA. Here's the one I use (https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Bla...sr=8-1&keywords=creative+soundblaster+5.1+xfi).

If you're working with a modern day receiver you can simply use HDMI to pass the multichannel signal. Or optical.

Some Blu-Ray players (Oppo for example), will play the .FLAC files off a USB stick.

Yes, you're gonna need to spend a little $$$, deal with some wires and adaptors, but once you get through the initial setup it's worth it. Any more questions you have I'll answer.

Last edited:
A couple of questions already. On the "creative sound blaster" link you sent, I see a left & right rca out, but right next to it looks like a mini phone jack labeled "rear". Is this where I would pick up the 2 rear channels ? My other question about the creative sound blaster is can you load the 4 channel flac files from your computer to a flash drive & just plug the flash drive into the creative sound blaster rather than my computer ? This way I wouldn't have to have my computer constantly hooked up to my stereo. Really only need the computer just to record, correct?

A couple of questions already. On the "creative sound blaster" link you sent, I see a left & right rca out, but right next to it looks like a mini phone jack labeled "rear". Is this where I would pick up the 2 rear channels

Yeah this is a bit confusing...it's a stereo mini phone that puts out both rear channels. It's designed the way because the soundcard is meant to be used with a matching mini 5.1 speaker set. You're gonna need an adaptor that splits the stereo mini phone out to stereo RCA.

My other question about the creative sound blaster is can you load the 4 channel flac files from your computer to a flash drive & just plug the flash drive into the creative sound blaster rather than my computer ? This way I wouldn't have to have my computer constantly hooked up to my stereo. Really only need the computer just to record, correct?

No, you need the computer to play the files. The soundcard is useless without the computer. Some people customize their Foobar interface and project onto their tv with hdmi. You can add all kinds of graphs, album covers, tags, etc.

eye.jpg

HOLD THE PHONE!

Why use two devices to handle the A-to-D and D-to-A conversion when you can use one audio interface that has 4+ analog inputs and 4+ analog outputs? Presumably, the playback devices (turntable, reel-to-reel, 8-track deck, etc.) are in the room in which listening is also done, so there's no need for two devices in two separate places. If the computer being used is a laptop, all the more reason to keep things simple by only requiring one USB connection.

The Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD fits the bill and is well-priced at $130. The four outputs from the quad analog source would be plugged into the four inputs on the front of the Behringer:

UMC404HD-large.jpg

Note: NOT the "insert" points on the back! The rear has two stereo RCA output pairs for convenient connection to a quad receiver:

UMC404HD-Back.jpg

It is, of course, possible to monitor the audio during recording. The trickiest part will be delving into the driver software for the Behringer to make sure the inputs are set to "line" rather than "preamp" mode and at the correct operating level (-10dBV) for recording consumer line level audio. After that, the nextmost tricky part will be correctly assigning the inputs and outputs in the recording software (DAW, "digital audio workstation") of choice.

Last edited:
Back