Moving to All Digital Files: Can Someone Post a How-To?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you consider a mac mini? It is the closest you'll get to an "iOS" experience but still be guaranteed to work.

I would, yes.
Tell me more.

“Guaranteed to work” is a feature never offered on any Windows version but which seems to come standard on every piece of Apple gear and software. “Guaranteed to fail” — and cause near-homicidal rage — would make a more apt description for Windows. Dealing with that so-called OS created some of my most unpleasant experiences of the last 25 years. My life is measurably better since leaving it behind.

“Guaranteed to work” is a feature never offered on any Windows version but which seems to come standard on every piece of Apple gear and software. “Guaranteed to fail” — and cause near-homicidal rage — would make a more apt description for Windows. Dealing with that so-called OS created some of my most unpleasant experiences of the last 25 years. My life is measurably better since leaving it behind.

Mac will do just fine. The point is you need an actual computer with a decent processor and obviously disk drive (either internal or external) to do this.

The PCM stuff is super easy to rip. There's a really nice all-in-one program that goes from DVD-A/V or Blu-ray to various formats for $35, but it can also be done for free with more programs and more steps.

It's the SACDs that get a little tricky. You can either invest in a multichannel soundcard and record them out of your player at 96/24 PCM, or you could get one of those Oppo players and install the custom firmware that digitally rips the SACDs. Haven't tried that method myself, but I believe it outputs a disk image (.ISO) file onto a USB stick which you can then transcode further on the computer.

Same thing if you've got a lot of vintage quad LPs/tapes you want to digitize- you need some kind of soundcard/MIDI mixer type thing to record them in.

It's the SACDs that get a little tricky. You can either invest in a multichannel soundcard and record them out of your player at 96/24 PCM, or you could get one of those Oppo players and install the custom firmware that digitally rips the SACDs. Haven't tried that method myself, but I believe it outputs a disk image (.ISO) file onto a USB stick which you can then transcode further on the computer.
It can output ISOs and/or DSFs and/or DFFs to a USB stick and/or hard drive and/or NAS and it can do it in stereo and/or multichannel. In fact, there are very few limitations.

Last edited:
I would, yes.
Tell me more.

Okay. here's how I do it. Caveat - I cannot at this moment do SACDs directly. I am idly looking for an SACD player than can rip. I am not looking very hard. Up to now, I've bought the SACD and then relied on the kindness of others to get me a rip.

Blu-rays, DVD-A, DVD-V are all no problem. You can even do DTS-CD if you leave the audio encoded and send an encoded stream to your receiver. Just import them into iTunes or any other media player.

Hardware:
  • Mac Mini (late 2014 - the current model) https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
    • Buy as much computer as you can afford. This model has HDMI out right to your receiver for multichannel sound. You can also do TOSLINK if you want to send out a 2 channel encoded stream.
  • External Blu-ray drive
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AO1XFM0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • sadly this seems discontinued, but many other options are available. This will mount your blu-rays, DVD-As, DVD-Vs, DTS-CDs, and CDs.
  • External hard drive for the music files
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKFEE8K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • I went a bit overkill here. Maybe something smaller would have been fine.
  • LG LCD TV as a display
    • video and audio are sent out from the same HDMI cable to the receiver, which in turn can send video to the TV and audio to the speakers.
    • Downside - if I turn the TV off, the receiver switches the sound off. There are workarounds for this, but I've never bothered. I did bother on a previous mac mini with no HDMI out.
Software:
  • MakeMKV
    https://www.makemkv.com
    • Worth the license fee. I use this to backup and decrypt blu-rays so I can get multichannel FLAC files out of the disc.
    • Bonus: I can make easy backups of the blu-rays, which has help me escaped some of the problems with Blu-rays failing after a few years.
  • DVD Audio Extractor
    http://www.dvdae.com
    • Also worth the license fee. This can extract the audio from DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, and a decrypted Blu-ray backup (see above) into multichannel FLAC files. It was once limited to core DTS only (Hi jimfisheye!) but now is not.
    • You can use DVD Audio Extractor to make DTS encoded 2 channel files (a DTS-CD, if you will) that your receiver will likely decode into multichannel if you do direct digital output. It has its limitations, so I stick to multichannel flac instead.
  • Nightingale to play the files.
    https://getnightingale.com
    • The software audio player matters a great deal. Some will only send 2-channel sound to your receiver. On my system iTunes and Cog seem stuck in 2-channel, regardless of the source. This one will send multichannel sound. It's based on the ashes of Songbird. It works, but it is not under heavy development.
Prior to 2017 I was using DVD Audio Extractor to make DTS encoded Apple Lossless files played through iTunes. This also worked. I cannot convince myself that I can hear the difference, but my system is 1. not that expensive and 2. my hearing is very average for a middle aged man.

Moved to mac 11 years ago, on the audio side, it's way, way more simple than dealing with windows ASIO drivers and stuff.
For the record, I don't believe ASIO drivers are popular nor really used anymore. I use the windows WASAPI drivers for everything.

It's the SACDs that get a little tricky. You can either invest in a multichannel soundcard and record them out of your player at 96/24 PCM, or you could get one of those Oppo players and install the custom firmware that digitally rips the SACDs.

Its not an install of custom firmware. The firmware in the machine is not altered or hacked or anything (I think you do need hacked firmware if you rip old school style with a Sony PS3). The custom software used to facilitate the rip resides on a USB drive that loads into the OS of the machine. It then allows Sonare software (available free) to extract the tracks (or the full ISO image) over a network.

Other than an OPPO 103 or 105, you can also use a specific Sony model (which I cant recall) or a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD like this one, which you can still buy new if you hunt one down. Its what I've been using. It works great. What they have in common is they all use a specific Mediatek processing chip.

I'm a long time Mac user. The Macbook Pros from late 2008 to mid 2012, Mac Pros 2009-2010, Mac Mini 2009 - late 2012 are the ones to get. I've drunk all the Apple koolaid and would never consider Windows a reasonable option for anything but... Apple is no longer what they were and I'd strongly recommend avoiding anything newer than what I mentioned. They switched gears to poorly built disposable machines after 2012. Not configurable, mod-able, or repairable either. DIY builds and Linux is the way forward after these machines and OSX run their course. Any of the above mentioned machines will run for 20 years if cared for. And they're fully configurable, mod-able, and repairable. (And surprisingly affordable on the used market!)

My 2c

FYI The 2011 & 2012 machines have thunderbolt which lets you directly connect a surround receiver with an HDMI input if that's your setup.

So as a relatively tech savvy guy . . .

Getting stereo tracks is easy peasy for me. I have used DVDAE for hi res PCM and the Oppo 103 for DSD rips. I have an ancient M-Audio Delta 2496 PCI card for doing needle drops (I think I bought the thing in 2003 and it's still going strong). I use JRiver (got used to it with my Pono) through a NuPrime uDSD for playback and everything works great.

But how do I do 5.1 on a media server?

I can rip the 5.1 sections of my DVD-As and Blu Rays to some sort of 5.1 flac files, right? I can get the MCh ISOs or DSF files from my SACDs. But what's the best software for playing the stuff back? And hardware? I really like analog outs -- how could I feed it into vintage gear?

What's the standard/easiest/most accepted method for playing back hi res 5.1 rips without the physical disc?

Last edited:
If you want a media player I’d suggest looking at the Media Player forum here on QQ. Intel NUC is fast and does 192/24 7.1 and can play Concert bluray music videos etc.

On a mac, Audirvana+ plays 5.1 tracks really well too

1537553214952.png

Okay. here's how I do it.

SNIP

• The software audio player matters a great deal. Some will only send 2-channel sound to your receiver. On my system iTunes and Cog seem stuck in 2-channel, regardless of the source. This one will send multichannel sound. It's based on the ashes of Songbird. It works, but it is not under heavy development.

Nightingale stopped working well, it started going silent when on shuffle mode, so I have ditched it.. I am evaluating the Mac versions of Kodi, Jriver, and audirvana.

Kodi is winning at the moment, but I am not sold on anything at this point.

I use JRiver.

I noticed something, if you ask a question on their forums, and you are not on the latest version - they (the mods) don't like to answer your question. They want the update / upgrade fee or else it's just not the same.

But I like the player alright enough. Great library tools as well. In fact I've heard of folks using it as organizing system but not using it as their main player. Funny.

I am evaluating the Mac versions of Kodi, Jriver, and audirvana. Kodi is winning at the moment, but I am not sold on anything at this point.

No experience with Audirvana.

JRiver is OK. The downside for me is no mechanism for presenting on-screen lyrics (but I heard that may be changing). Up till recently, JRiver also did not process video.

I use Kodi. Its biggest flaw for me is poor handling of DSF files and SACD ISO files. (But I heard that is changing as well). I also like the Kodi interface with its ability to accept different skins. Homer turned me onto the artist slideshow option. I wouldn't want to go without that again. Its also free of charge.

I prefer JRiver (have I said that before?) but that is based purely on music management/playback and, although it does video, it is not a factor to me. Also, neither is display of lyrics. Pure audio.

P.S., I would use HQPlayer but its user interface is unacceptable so far.

Okay. here's how I do it. Caveat - I cannot at this moment do SACDs directly. I am idly looking for an SACD player than can rip. I am not looking very hard. Up to now, I've bought the SACD and then relied on the kindness of others to get me a rip.

Blu-rays, DVD-A, DVD-V are all no problem. You can even do DTS-CD if you leave the audio encoded and send an encoded stream to your receiver. Just import them into iTunes or any other media player.

Hardware:
  • Mac Mini (late 2014 - the current model) https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
    • Buy as much computer as you can afford. This model has HDMI out right to your receiver for multichannel sound. You can also do TOSLINK if you want to send out a 2 channel encoded stream.
  • External Blu-ray drive
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AO1XFM0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • sadly this seems discontinued, but many other options are available. This will mount your blu-rays, DVD-As, DVD-Vs, DTS-CDs, and CDs.
  • External hard drive for the music files
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKFEE8K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • I went a bit overkill here. Maybe something smaller would have been fine.
  • LG LCD TV as a display
    • video and audio are sent out from the same HDMI cable to the receiver, which in turn can send video to the TV and audio to the speakers.
    • Downside - if I turn the TV off, the receiver switches the sound off. There are workarounds for this, but I've never bothered. I did bother on a previous mac mini with no HDMI out.
Software:
  • MakeMKV
    https://www.makemkv.com
    • Worth the license fee. I use this to backup and decrypt blu-rays so I can get multichannel FLAC files out of the disc.
    • Bonus: I can make easy backups of the blu-rays, which has help me escaped some of the problems with Blu-rays failing after a few years.
  • DVD Audio Extractor
    http://www.dvdae.com
    • Also worth the license fee. This can extract the audio from DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, and a decrypted Blu-ray backup (see above) into multichannel FLAC files. It was once limited to core DTS only (Hi jimfisheye!) but now is not.
    • You can use DVD Audio Extractor to make DTS encoded 2 channel files (a DTS-CD, if you will) that your receiver will likely decode into multichannel if you do direct digital output. It has its limitations, so I stick to multichannel flac instead.
Prior to 2017 I was using DVD Audio Extractor to make DTS encoded Apple Lossless files played through iTunes. This also worked. I cannot convince myself that I can hear the difference, but my system is 1. not that expensive and 2. my hearing is very average for a middle aged man.

I'm using a used Sony S5100 BD player to save my Oppo 205 on wear, as I'll need to rip hundreds of SACDs. These Sony's can be had for ~$30-80 on ebay etc. Also a program named "SACDExtractGUI" which will rip both the ISO and dsf either stereo or multi-channel simultaneously with meta data included. Once it is set up it is even easier than the other formats; just change out discs as the last one is ripped and it even creates a folder for the album with cue sheet etc. I've ripped about 20 discs so far and things have gone smoothly. I played the dsf files through Foobar2000 which showed them at DSD64 (fine with me.) I just need another SSD to hold all the new music!:)

Good thing because you can't rip SACDs with a 205. ;)

Yup, just another brain fart from me. The actual story is I kept being hesitant at spending an extra $300-400 on an Oppo 103, even though it's a much better machine. And to you Kal, thanks for keepin' me honest! Actually, I've read a large amount of your posts over at the AVR forum on the Oppo 205 thread; you got me strait when it came to setting up the Oppo for SACDs and the sub (very tricky for us newbies.):love:

Back