Notable MCH engineers listing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for the SACD. One of these days I'll get it, no doubt about it!

A year or so ago Monster was still selling the 5.1 DVD-V on its site, also for ten bucks. (We had a thread on it here, as I recall--and the pages for the CD and DVD looked almost identical, so some people got fooled.) But now they seem to have sold out. Big River has it, though, for twenty:

https://www.amazon.com/Sketches-Spain-SuperDisc-Miles-Davis/dp/B009XIIO4Y

Add Richard Thompson's Rumor and Sigh to the Steve Genewick list.

Steve Genewick obviously isn’t as prolific as ES or SW but his track record for 5.1 is seriously good. He worked on a lot of of those Capitol DVD-As with the “feel the music” banner across the top.

They’re pretty rare nowadays, but the DVD-As with his 5.1 mixes of Rumor & Sigh and Crowded House are among the best in my collection.

I wonder if he was set to do the 5.1 mix for that Heart Dreamboat Annie DVD-A that never came out...

Also, his credits mention some 5.1 projects I’m not sure saw the light of day- John Fogerty? Carpenters? Jackson Browne? AFAIK the only 5.1 mixes from those artists are the live DVD mixed by ES, the Singles SACD mixed by Al Schmitt and Richard Carpenter, and the Running On Empty DVD-A mixed by Greg Ladanyi.

http://stevegenewick.com/selected-credits/

Last edited:
Steve Genewick obviously isn’t as prolific as ES or SW but his track record for 5.1 is seriously good. He worked on a lot of of those Capitol DVD-As with the “feel the music” banner across the top.

They’re pretty rare nowadays, but the DVD-As with his 5.1 mixes of Rumor & Sigh and Crowded House are among the best in my collection.

I wonder if he was set to do the 5.1 mix for that Heart Dreamboat Annie DVD-A that never came out...

Also, his credits mention some 5.1 projects I’m not sure saw the light of day- John Fogerty? Carpenters? Jackson Browne? AFAIK the only 5.1 mixes from those artists are the live DVD mixed by ES, the Singles SACD mixed by Al Schmitt and Richard Carpenter, and the Running On Empty DVD-A mixed by Greg Ladanyi.

Someone should send him an email to see if he can shed light on those 5.1 surround projects and also invite him to join QQ.

Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" is one I'd love to see finally released

its a.. monster! :p
(seriously, i was shocked at how surround-y they got the music from, what, 3-ch tapes!? would've been interesting if Monster had done things like Kind Of Blue & Time Out in MultiCh in surround with similar technique.. ah well, i must be thankful for what we have/and what we do get rather than whining about what we don't! :giggle:
Normally I’m the first the complain about “ambient rears”. But knowing to expect that with Kind of Blue I have to says “hats off”. I’m not sure how much the rears have to do with it, but I think that surround SACD is one of the best sounding discs I own. And the best that album has sounded.

I love what Monster did with Sketches. It’s a masterwork. But it’s a different kind of recording and performance. The Kind of Blue disc feels like I’m sitting in a small club right up next to the stage listening to them perform it. I guess it might be fun to hear what Monster could have done with it, but I don’t feel like I need it.

Hey Adam.

I’m still keen to get this into its own QQ page table with sort and filter like the Polls and Thread Index. Also add the Quad Engineers list you mentioned too.

You were whacking this into a spreadsheet. Is that your ‘master list’ or do you have another document? If the spreadsheet is ready I can use that, if not you can give me any other list and I can rework it into a table format for the new page.

THX
Garry

Hey Adam.

I’m still keen to get this into its own QQ page table with sort and filter like the Polls and Thread Index. Also add the Quad Engineers list you mentioned too.

You were whacking this into a spreadsheet. Is that your ‘master list’ or do you have another document? If the spreadsheet is ready I can use that, if not you can give me any other list and I can rework it into a table format for the new page.

THX
Garry

hi Garry,
it was a while ago so i may be misremembering but thought i'd sent something through already, let me check and see if I did/what I have on file and I'll PM you tonight.

I really must read more of the previous threads..:rolleyes::)
Found this one today

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE THE FIRST GO TO, FOR ALL SERIOUS SURROUND COLLECTORS!!

Just a gentle nudge Adam, Did we manage to get a spreadsheet done? I realise that there are only so many hours in a day!!:p:rocks
Fantastic job so far!!

i don't remember where i'm at with it,
i'll check over the weekend :)

I really must read more of the previous threads..:rolleyes::)
Found this one today

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE THE FIRST GO TO, FOR ALL SERIOUS SURROUND COLLECTORS!!

Just a gentle nudge Adam, Did we manage to get a spreadsheet done? I realise that there are only so many hours in a day!!:p:rocks
Fantastic job so far!!

It's good that you are bringing some of these older threads to life again...good job my man(y)

Back