Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went through all 38 pages. Sounds like I need to buy an Involve Surround Master unit. I have a Sunfire Theater Grand Processor and would hope that it would integrate well with the outboard decoder. Thanks to all who posted so far.

12 posts in 10 years, I hope to improve on that in the future.

Everything but the girl
Walking Wounded cd
a lot of stuff in the center channel (phantom center in quad)
going thru a rough patch personally....
this was what was playing when I met my ex 20.5 years ago and she just happened to be a huge fan...great stuff though... heartfelt songs... look up Tracy and Ben's history...

To help me catch up and get educated, question for the group.

Many seem to be using Dolby ProLogicII either music or movie mode to get a fake quad effect, so how much better is an Involve Surround Master? Is it really worth the money? I live on SS Income, so $400.00 is a lot of money for me to spend on a suspect device.

I have my bedroom receiver set on Doly ProLogicII music and I really don't hear much quad effect. So I am leary of spending lots of money on a SM unit.

Last edited:
I have my bedroom receiver set on Doly ProLogicII music and I really don't hear much quad effect.
So I am leary of spending lots of money on a SM unit.

There could be room to improve your setup, calibration, and adjustments.

We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files
We'd like to help you learn to help yourself.
Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes...

If you're "in transition" with your system, can you listen to in high res surround on it now and be blown away?
If not, your money might be better spent on other hardware until you get there.

What model is your receiver?

There could be room to improve your setup, calibration, and adjustments.

If you're "in transition" with your system, can you listen to in high res surround on it now and be blown away?
If not, your money might be better spent on other hardware until you get there.

What model is your receiver?

Onkyo TX-SR805
I only have a dvd player hooked up and FM capabilities.

Onkyo TX-SR805
I only have a dvd player hooked up and FM capabilities.

With my Yamaha receiver, I find adjusting the DPL II settings from factory default improves music listening.

Your Onkyo looks like a nice unit.
Page 83 of your owners manual gives you some options for tweaking and experimenting with the sound field.
Have fun with it.

If you can patch YouTube sound into a stereo aux input, we might have suggestions of some music to try.

==================================
PLIIx/Neo:6 SettingsPLIIx Music (2 ch Input)
These settings apply to only 2-channel stereo sources.

If you’re not using any surround back speakers, these settings apply to Dolby Pro Logic II, not Dolby Pro Logic IIx.
■ Panorama
With this setting, you can broaden the width of the front stereo image when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode.
On: Panorama function on.
Off: Panorama function off (default).
■ Dimension
With this setting, you can move the sound field forward or backward when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode. It can be adjusted from –3 to +3. The default value is 0. Higher settings move the sound field forward. Lower settings move it backward.
If the stereo image feels too wide, or there’s too much surround sound, move the sound field forward to improve the balance. Conversely, if the stereo image feels like it’s in mono, or there’s not enough surround sound, move it backward.
■ Center Width
With this setting, you can adjust the width of the sound from the center speaker when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode. Normally, if you’re using a center speaker, the center channel sound is output by only the center speaker. (If you’re not using a center speaker, the center channel sound will be distributed to the front left and right speakers to create a phantom cen- ter). This setting controls the front left, right, and center mix, allowing you to adjust the weight of the center channel sound. It can be adjusted from 0 to 7. The default value is 3.

With my Yamaha receiver, I find adjusting the DPL II settings from factory default improves music listening.

Your Onkyo looks like a nice unit.
Page 83 of your owners manual gives you some options for tweaking and experimenting with the sound field.
Have fun with it.

If you can patch YouTube sound into a stereo aux input, we might have suggestions of some music to try.

==================================
PLIIx/Neo:6 SettingsPLIIx Music (2 ch Input)
These settings apply to only 2-channel stereo sources.

If you’re not using any surround back speakers, these settings apply to Dolby Pro Logic II, not Dolby Pro Logic IIx.
■ Panorama
With this setting, you can broaden the width of the front stereo image when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode.
On: Panorama function on.
Off: Panorama function off (default).
■ Dimension
With this setting, you can move the sound field forward or backward when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode. It can be adjusted from –3 to +3. The default value is 0. Higher settings move the sound field forward. Lower settings move it backward.
If the stereo image feels too wide, or there’s too much surround sound, move the sound field forward to improve the balance. Conversely, if the stereo image feels like it’s in mono, or there’s not enough surround sound, move it backward.
■ Center Width
With this setting, you can adjust the width of the sound from the center speaker when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode. Normally, if you’re using a center speaker, the center channel sound is output by only the center speaker. (If you’re not using a center speaker, the center channel sound will be distributed to the front left and right speakers to create a phantom cen- ter). This setting controls the front left, right, and center mix, allowing you to adjust the weight of the center channel sound. It can be adjusted from 0 to 7. The default value is 3.

Thanks, I have never owned a center channel speaker. I will try to play around with the other settings.

I'm really loving my Surround Master.

Currently savouring:

The Supremes - Hign Energy (original Russ Terrana mixes) (1976) 44-16

R-215622-1246566445.jpeg.jpg
The Surround Master is great. I am currently playing the 'flat' transfer of English Settlement through it...while hoping one day we get a Steve Wilson 5.1 mix.

The Surround Master is great. I am currently playing the 'flat' transfer of English Settlement through it...while hoping one day we get a Steve Wilson 5.1 mix.

I would love to hear a Surround Master before buying one but the closest person on here looks to be about 3 hours away. Just wish there was a trial period.

Has anyone tried out DTS X: Virtual yet? It’s only available on select 2017 (as a firmware update) and 2018 receivers plus a soundbar or two. I was thinking about trying it out myself today but in order to use it, I would have to tell my AVR that I’m using no more than 5 speakers.

I have a couple of those Kip Hanrahan Japanese Stereo SACDs ........ interesting artist. Will have to give them a spin.

EXOTICA

6623.jpg

logo_sacd.png

5474.jpg

logo_sacd.png

American clavé EWSAC-1016
Hybrid
Jazz
"Tenderness"

Kip Hanrahan

With so many instruments playing, these recordings are a natural for surround. And the Afro-Cuban rhythms of the percussion really envelop you and make the whole room groove. :51QQ

Has anyone tried out DTS X: Virtual yet? It’s only available on select 2017 (as a firmware update) and 2018 receivers plus a soundbar or two. I was thinking about trying it out myself today but in order to use it, I would have to tell my AVR that I’m using no more than 5 speakers.

I don't know what happened between you and your AVR...but I'm sure you can get past it....you would be surprised how forgiving some of these models are:rolleyes:

Back