Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see you review a quad disc- something like the recent Bitches Brew or an AF/DV SACD would be really cool.
Man, I'm not sure I'm qualified to review Bitches Brew! Though I do have it and the AF Collection.
I plan to do more listening, but, so far, I just feel like I'd sound like a dip shit!

I'd love to see you review a quad disc- something like the recent Bitches Brew or an AF/DV SACD would be really cool.
Also, I'll have to give a big disclaimer that my system is optimized for 5.1 and up, so I won't hear things exactly as intended, as those with giant corner speakers would. I think that (the other way around) might be why some QQers have trouble hearing some 5.1 surround content, if their speakers are in the corners. My 5.1 and up experience definitely improved when I got my fronts as close to 30 degrees as possible and my surround as close to 110 degrees as possible.
Definitely have some quads in mind though. D-V, AF, Sony Japan, Rhino, etc.

Also, I'll have to give a big disclaimer that my system is optimized for 5.1 and up, so I won't hear things exactly as intended, as those with giant corner speakers would. I think that (the other way around) might be why some QQers have trouble hearing some 5.1 surround content, if their speakers are in the corners. My 5.1 and up experience definitely improved when I got my fronts as close to 30 degrees as possible and my surround as close to 110 degrees as possible.
Definitely have some quads in mind though. D-V, AF, Sony Japan, Rhino, etc.

That shouldn't be a problem Mike. So your center channel won't be active. In fact, I'd review ALL those special Japanese SACDs in special 7" packaging as, IMO, they're all awesome and worth mentioning. Especially since a lot of them are available domestically from ImportCD at competitive CDJapan prices [sometimes even cheaper].

BTW, just received the Stones Beggars Banquet in that special 7" packaging today. Haven't spun it yet. 2 hybrid SACDs, one in Mono and one Stereo.

That shouldn't be a problem Mike. So your center channel won't be active. In fact, I'd review ALL those special Japanese SACDs in special 7" packaging as, IMO, they're all awesome and worth mentioning. Especially since a lot of them are available domestically from ImportCD at competitive CDJapan prices [sometimes even cheaper].

BTW, just received the Stones Beggars Banquet in that special 7" packaging today. Haven't spun it yet. 2 hybrid SACDs, one in Mono and one Stereo.

don't waste your time... I got that one and already got rid of it...but you might like it

IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3329.JPG

Just a note about my hope to respect poll threads. Let's please keep critiques of my videography in this thread, as much as possible.
If my videos spur on discussion of the album, the mix, fidelity, etc. that's perfect for the poll threads.
I want my contributions to be a welcome addition to poll threads, not a distraction.
Thank you!

Last edited:
So Mike, NO LIFE in SURROUND: The Christmas Edition??????? There are quite a few Christmas albums in 5.1 across all genres and since the holidays are upon us, you could don an ole Saint Nick Christmas Hat with mistletoe hanging over your head and plant a 'wet one' on your Dolby Atmos Receiver. And little baggy would make the perfect elf!

How 'bout it EB?

Christmas-Hat-Free-Download-PNG.png

So Mike, NO LIFE in SURROUND: The Christmas Edition??????? There are quite a few Christmas albums in 5.1 across all genres and since the holidays are upon us, you could don an ole Saint Nick Christmas Hat with mistletoe hanging over your head and plant a 'wet one' on your Dolby Atmos Receiver. And little baggy would make the perfect elf!

How 'bout it EB?
IDK, man, but I am LMAO, so that's good.
Christmas special planned, yes. Maybe a bit lower-key. Hopefully interesting, nonetheless!

2018 Christmas Special
Featuring:
Handel's Messiah, 2L's Magnificant, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Jethro Tull - A Christmas Song, John Lennon - Happy Xmas & Markus Reuter - Winter Solstice

Mike, fine for your first outing. There isn't a whole lot of Christmas Music in surround [classical tends to have many more releases than popular] but a few glaring omissions: Two of my VERY favorites are the two Mannheim STEAMROLLER discs:

51KNHZ41S5L.jpg

51rhNPwqwjL.jpg

They used to be available every year @ AmazonUS in MLP DVD~A for under $15 each but as they're not being repressed their scarcity is now reflected in their high prices. IMO, they're better than the AIX Christmas Disc. Also Johnny Mathis and Barry Manilow have some pretty nice 5.1 SACD Christmas Discs on the SONY label. DTS Entertainment also has a big band Christmas disc in 5.1 as does Silverline in MLP DVD~A 5.1. Another great TELARC Christmas Disc is:

81kTQgGnXfL._SL1200_.jpg

71xTCCrtLDL._SL1500_.jpg

51qntugpuAL.jpg

61B9N4ECJAL.jpg

41GCHCZM87L.jpg

And then there's the fantastic Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix of the New York Voices' LET IT SNOW

61N9DhvDFVL.jpg

Then for lovers of Country Music there's DTS Entertainment's Vince Gill: Breath of Heaven: A Christmas Collection [DTS 5.1]
21FHG7Z6V8L.jpg

There's still a lot more [actually] but you did swell with your maiden voyage for Christmas 2018 ...... so these suggestions might be ripe for Christmas Music: Edition 2 in 2019 LIVE FROM ROCKEFELLER CENTER in NEW YORK CITY.

Rockefeller4.jpg

BTW, Mike, as I type these words a light snow is gently falling but in order to officially have a White Christmas, there has to be at least an inch of snow on the ground [not going to happen this year]

A Very Merry Christmas to YOU, Mrs. Veira and little baggy.

Last edited:
Mike, fine for your first outing. There isn't a whole lot of Christmas Music in surround [classical tends to have many more releases than popular] but a few glaring omissions: Two of my VERY favorites are the two Mannheim STEAMROLLER discs:

51KNHZ41S5L.jpg

51rhNPwqwjL.jpg

They used to be available every year @ AmazonUS in MLP DVD~A for under $15 each but as they're not being repressed their scarcity is now reflected in their high prices. IMO, they're better than the AIX Christmas Disc. Also Johnny Mathis and Barry Manilow have some pretty nice 5.1 SACD Christmas Discs on the SONY label. DTS Entertainment also has a big band Christmas disc in 5.1 as does Silverline in MLP DVD~A 5.1. Another great TELARC Christmas Disc is:

81kTQgGnXfL._SL1200_.jpg

71xTCCrtLDL._SL1500_.jpg

51qntugpuAL.jpg

61B9N4ECJAL.jpg

41GCHCZM87L.jpg

And then there's the fantastic Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix of the New York Voices' LET IT SNOW

61N9DhvDFVL.jpg

Then for lovers of Country Music there's DTS Entertainment's Vince Gill: Breath of Heaven: A Christmas Collection [DTS 5.1]
21FHG7Z6V8L.jpg

There's still a lot more [actually] but you did swell with your maiden voyage for Christmas 2018 ...... so these suggestions might be ripe for Christmas Music: Edition 2 in 2019 LIVE FROM ROCKEFELLER CENTER in NEW YORK CITY.

A Very Merry Christmas to YOU, Mrs. Baggins and little baggy.
I'll definitely try to track some of those down. I try not to let my biases get in the way of a good time, but I find a LOT of Christmas music annoying.
Big band, I'm in for sure. Probably MS too. Isn't it zany instrumental stuff?

I'll definitely try to track some of those down. I try not to let my biases get in the way of a good time, but I find a LOT of Christmas music annoying.
Big band, I'm in for sure. Probably MS too. Isn't it zany instrumental stuff?

The Mannheim Steamroller Christmas DVD~As are in 2 words simply amazing. Forget crappy, annoying Christmas music [of which there is an abundance].....this is the REAL DEAL and the ultra discrete sonics are ASTONISHING!

Last edited:
The Mannheim Steamroller Christmas DVD~As are in 2 words simply amazing. Forget crappy, annoying Christmas music [of which there is an abundance].....this is the REAL DEAL and the ultra discrete sonics are ASTONISHING!

AGREE ENTIRELY ,

There is also a 5.1 dvd "The Christmas Angel " with Olivia Newton John , Mannheim Steamroller , etc..

But I notice their on line store has ended . (and I don't have that dvd)

I will one day get Christmas Extraordinaire as I MUCHLY enjoy the dvda of Christmas Celebration
(ultra discreet !) :)

Back