Lost the Plot, Getting It Back

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also appreciate the update - I mean, family and health are what matters the most obviously. I wish you the best Tim! I signed up for another exam......had one when I turned 50 and I've decided not to wait until I'm 60...my Uncle died of prostate cancer and I don't want to have something sneak up on me.

I also appreciate the update - I mean, family and health are what matters the most obviously. I wish you the best Tim! I signed up for another exam......had one when I turned 50 and I've decided not to wait until I'm 60...my Uncle died of prostate cancer and I don't want to have something sneak up on me.

I should clarify! I've had 2 colonoscopys and they do not detect prostate cancer....I meant to say, I've had 2 blood tests and had another yesterday to help check for prostate issues... :)

I should clarify! I've had 2 colonoscopys and they do not detect prostate cancer....I meant to say, I've had 2 blood tests and had another yesterday to help check for prostate issues... :)

You should get your prostate checked EVERY year.....colonoscopy can be from 2 to 5 years...depending on your medical history..

PSA number is typically part of the lab work from annual physicals; if it starts to ramp up, a referral to a urologist is warranted as suggested by a good MD. Regular physicals are important; more so once you reach 50.

IMO... if your insurance covers it or you can afford it... I would just get yearly checks with urologist...not your regular physician...because a urologist is more experienced in the physical exam of your prostate and sometimes the PSA can be wrong...

IMO... if your insurance covers it or you can afford it... I would just get yearly checks with urologist...not your regular physician...because a urologist is more experienced in the physical exam of your prostate and sometimes the PSA can be wrong...

Agreed...I know I want the finger with the most experience! :ROFLMAO:

Tim, very happy to have you back. As with military tours overseas, your recent experiences have a way of bringing a lot of focus to life. You enjoy it for all it's worth! Whatever part of that entails music, that's wonderful.
Have ever much of that you have time, energy and interest for sharing with us, we'll be very appreciative!
:hi

IMG_6737qq.JPG

Taken 03 November 2018 in Eugene Oregon - First Visit featuring QQ Guru (Tad Bartel aka QuadTrade) and QQ Grasshopper (Tim McDonnell aka Timbre4)

Last edited:
Getting closer to QQ concert updates, promise.
About my latest avatar (at left), it seems my friend Harvey Jones (Blow Up Hollywood) has this whole other scene going on! He shared CDs of the albums with me on my NYC visit a couple weeks ago. Had some long driving trips and these albums spoke to me. Just found this webpage that tells more about the electronica synth music they're doing. http://www.deliaderbyshireappreciationsociety.com/

On today's schedule - Equipment Maintenance!

1. The Marantz 4140 amp at the heart of the quad system has been out of service for several weeks. It would be a little "spitty" on startup and then quiet down at operating temperature so it had been left ON for several months, sounding sweet. Then sometime after Labor Day, I started hearing a noise from the other room where the quad system is setup. I came to realize the noises were from the right front speaker and these were getting to be louder pops. So I shut the Marantz off, knowing it would require service. It's about a 45 minute drive to the service provider, this is what holiday vacation days are for. ;)

2. Spare pair of Advent Loudspeakers - I bought these "great sounding" off eBay a couple years ago for about $200 including the shipping. They look very much like the walnut Advents I bought in 1977 and still have. When the 35th anniversary Advents arrived, I took off the grille cloth off one and saw the woofer surround gasket had disintegrated (common with these over time). Checked the other speaker and it was in the same shape. I quizzed the seller "how could these be great sounding in this condition?" (sent photos) We settled on $100 for the pair so that's all I have invested. The cabinets aren't going to win any awards but it's still a reasonable proposition. The quad system is 4 Advent Legacy III speakers that do play well but I toy with the idea of using the original large Advent speakers instead. We'll see how they sound once rehabilitated.

I've vacuumed out all of the flaky surround gasket material and removed any remnants to make a clean mounting surface. Had an extra set of new surrounds (since 2001) to apply but not the glue (would've been nasty anyways), so I got some new glue off eBay yesterday so it's time to apply it now and hit the road with the Marantz 4140.

Advents.JPG

On today's schedule - Equipment Maintenance!

1. The Marantz 4140 amp at the heart of the quad system has been out of service for several weeks. It would be a little "spitty" on startup and then quiet down at operating temperature so it had been left ON for several months, sounding sweet. Then sometime after Labor Day, I started hearing a noise from the other room where the quad system is setup. I came to realize the noises were from the right front speaker and these were getting to be louder pops. So I shut the Marantz off, knowing it would require service. It's about a 45 minute drive to the service provider, this is what holiday vacation days are for. ;)

2. Spare pair of Advent Loudspeakers - I bought these "great sounding" off eBay a couple years ago for about $200 including the shipping. They look very much like the walnut Advents I bought in 1977 and still have. When the 35th anniversary Advents arrived, I took off the grille cloth off one and saw the woofer surround gasket had disintegrated (common with these over time). Checked the other speaker and it was in the same shape. I quizzed the seller "how could these be great sounding in this condition?" (sent photos) We settled on $100 for the pair so that's all I have invested. The cabinets aren't going to win any awards but it's still a reasonable proposition. The quad system is 4 Advent Legacy III speakers that do play well but I toy with the idea of using the original large Advent speakers instead. We'll see how they sound once rehabilitated.

I've vacuumed out all of the flaky surround gasket material and removed any remnants to make a clean mounting surface. Had an extra set of new surrounds (since 2001) to apply but not the glue (would've been nasty anyways), so I got some new glue off eBay yesterday so it's time to apply it now and hit the road with the Marantz 4140.

View attachment 37263
Re-doing the rubber surrounds works wonders, when I got my Monitor Audio speakers the old Acoustic Research AR93s got put in the spare room and not used. A few years later I gave them to a friend who was broke and needed some speakers, unfortunately he found the surrounds had perished, so bought a kit from the USA, fixed them, and they are still going strong and sounding good. Mind you he has kept his children+dogs+cat well away from them!

Well, it seems I didn't do it very well this time. Found the instructions afterwards! Not sure if glue was right or enough of it used, didn't remove the drivers from the cabinets either. They sound fine until you start cranking them up and the problem becomes obvious. Conversely, the 1977 walnut Advents I did at least 15 years ago are still working nicely. I just ordered a kit from Simply Speakers and will follow instructions to the letter. In the meantime I hooked everything up for a photo.

QUAD ATMOS? STACKED ADVENTS?
Closer to the latter; this is actually two stereo "systems" sitting together waiting for me to figure out when and where to deploy. The Marantz 1040 amp was purchased with the 1977 Advents and the Proton D940 receiver (I became enamored with it's DPD Dynamic Power on Demand - similar to NAD Power Envelope - when I sold gear at Pacific Stereo in 1985-86). The Hitachi turntable is a loaner used to transfer the Big Daddy LP since it's not available on CD.

IMG_8111.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back